2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You don't draft someone early if you have no intention of playing him, sans QBs.  If you're drafting Orlando Brown, you're taking him with the intention of playing him.  It might not be at LT, but you'll slot in him in at RT and maybe give him some help in the form of a TE chipping as he's going out.

I never said take him early. Moving him to RT isn't a great idea, he already isn't developed enough on the left side, making him have to develop even further by moving him away the spot he's been playing would be a mistake. RT isn't really easier than LT, most of the best pass rushers rush over the right side now because teams are still putting guys with bad pass sets on the right side and because protections schemes still largely help the left side more than the right. You can't chip with a TE every time you want to pass the ball and if you actually try to do that defenses will adjust by halftime of week 1 and just line up two guys over there and have the end crash inside into the RT away from the chip and have the inside man loop around unblocked. 

A team with an aging LT or a LT with a contract soon to expire would be smart to take him in the mid rounds and sit him...Rams, Browns, 49ers, Raiders, Seahawks, and Eagles (although I would roll with Vaitai) are all teams that could easily justify a 3rd or 4th round pick to sit and develop him.

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

I never said take him early. Moving him to RT isn't a great idea, he already isn't developed enough on the left side, making him have to develop even further by moving him away the spot he's been playing would be a mistake. RT isn't really easier than LT, most of the best pass rushers rush over the right side now because teams are still putting guys with bad pass sets on the right side and because protections schemes still largely help the left side more than the right. You can't chip with a TE every time you want to pass the ball and if you actually try to do that defenses will adjust by halftime of week 1 and just line up two guys over there and have the end crash inside into the RT away from the chip and have the inside man loop around unblocked. 

A team with an aging LT or a LT with a contract soon to expire would be smart to take him in the mid rounds and sit him...Rams, Browns, 49ers, Raiders, Seahawks, and Eagles (although I would roll with Vaitai) are all teams that could easily justify a 3rd or 4th round pick to sit and develop him.

Except the law of supply and demand is likely going to lead him to coming off the board well before that point.  We're too talent deprived to see him fall that late.  I mean, I think he's a 2nd round pick at the absolute worse even with his miserable combine.  If he's available in the 3rd or 4th round, you jump at the opportunity to draft him.  But I'd be willing to wager a ton of money he'll be long gone before that.  He's going to be an early Day 2 pick IMO.  Look at the draft history of OL.  Anyone whose halfway decent is going to get picked early.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Except the law of supply and demand is likely going to lead him to coming off the board well before that point.  We're too talent deprived to see him fall that late.  I mean, I think he's a 2nd round pick at the absolute worse even with his miserable combine.  If he's available in the 3rd or 4th round, you jump at the opportunity to draft him.  But I'd be willing to wager a ton of money he'll be long gone before that.  He's going to be an early Day 2 pick IMO.  Look at the draft history of OL.  Anyone whose halfway decent is going to get picked early.

I'm not talking about what might happen though. I'm talking about what should happen. 

Just now, IDOG_det said:

I'm not talking about what might happen though. I'm talking about what should happen. 

So discussing a hypothetical that will never happen?  I mean, I suppose we could discuss that but we could also discuss how Josh Allen shouldn't be drafted until the 3rd round.  He's a good player, he's just not a great player.  He's got his deficiency and he's probably not going to be able to overcome that.  Twitchy and bendy pass rushers are going to eat him alive.  That's his fault.  Fortunately, power rushers are going to struggle more against him since his anchor is good.

8 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

He needs time to get his body right. He was 400+ as a high school kid, it's hard to maintain strength and stop that kind of weight. A smart team would sit him year one (maybe use him in jumbo packages) and have him first work on losing some the excess fat he still has, then from that point work on becoming stronger and developing his technique. He has all the potential in the world to be a great player, but in the hands of the less competent organizations he might struggle.

If he's around in the 3rd round, I hope the Rams jump on him. Let him develop behind Whitworth for a year or two. Whitworth is a guy who has really overhauled his body since he came out of college. Get Brown with a nutritionist and in the S&C program. Let Whitworth, Saffold, and Sullivan take him under their wings. And I think he'll do quite well. If you could get him down to a healthy 330 pounds, I think he could be a force. He's already strong as an ox with surprising agility for such a big man. He already basically wins every rep where he gets his hands on the defender.

• 2 weeks later...

McGlinchey is an extremely boring prospect who is probably going to drop farther than he should because of it. No doubt in my mind he’ll be a rock solid starter for a long time but nothing about him suggests he’ll ever be anything more than decent.

Seattle should be all over him with no other picks before the 4th round and a gaping wide hole at RT and another at LT whenever Brown slows down.

29 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

McGlinchey is an extremely boring prospect who is probably going to drop farther than he should because of it. No doubt in my mind he’ll be a rock solid starter for a long time but nothing about him suggests he’ll ever be anything more than decent.

Seattle should be all over him with no other picks before the 4th round and a gaping wide hole at RT and another at LT whenever Brown slows down.

I said something similar in the top 12 surprising pick thread. I called him a "meh prospect", but this is largely what I meant. He basically just is what he is. And that is super, super boring lol. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Going to be a guy I feel like plays 10 years on 4 teams, but most of that time starting. 

1 hour ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Given that OL tend to go early and often, I'd venture his "drop" won't be very far.

On 3/10/2018 at 11:06 AM, IDOG_det said:

I will tell you right now, Brown's career if he has one, will be at RT. 

He is definitely going to have to sit a year or even 2, to get his body in shape. When a player is in as bad a shape as Brown is, there is no way he can play in a game for 4 quarters, he will be dead tired by the third quarter and have to come out of the game and will not be capable of playing again in that game.

This isn't college, pros stay in shape year round and workout in the gym constantly and will eat up an out of shape player for super. Brown has no NFL future IMO, unless he lands with a HC like a BB, Zimmer or Lewis who have shown in their past, the ability to reach misguided kids and get them to commit to getting into shape and staying that way.

I would only give him a 20% chance at ever becoming a starter, there is an 80% chance he gets cut in training camp, if he shows no inclination to get into shape!!!

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

When a player is in as bad a shape as Brown is, there is no way he can play in a game for 4 quarters, he will be dead tired by the third quarter and have to come out of the game and will not be capable of playing again in that game.

Does the Big 12 only play 3 quarters each game? 

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I would only give him a 20% chance at ever becoming a starter, there is an 80% chance he gets cut in training camp, if he shows no inclination to get into shape!!!

I agree Brown’s profile will put him as a RT.  Just a point on his chances of getting cut. If he falls to Rd 5-6 maybe he gets cut.  But a team that spends an earlier pick isn’t going to cut bait that soon.  They will be investing in that year to get him in shape.   And if they invest a Day 2 pick they are likely giving him 2 yrs minimum before cutting bait. 

I have no idea where he’s getting drafted.  It likely won’t be DEN or ARI because players with fitness / conditioning concerns are DND for teams in altitude like them.  But the draft capital spent will dictate the minimum length of time a team will be investing in Brown.  

Archived