2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I will tell you right now, Brown's career if he has one, will be at RT. 

He is definitely going to have to sit a year or even 2, to get his body in shape. When a player is in as bad a shape as Brown is, there is no way he can play in a game for 4 quarters, he will be dead tired by the third quarter and have to come out of the game and will not be capable of playing again in that game.

This isn't college, pros stay in shape year round and workout in the gym constantly and will eat up an out of shape player for super. Brown has no NFL future IMO, unless he lands with a HC like a BB, Zimmer or Lewis who have shown in their past, the ability to reach misguided kids and get them to commit to getting into shape and staying that way.

I would only give him a 20% chance at ever becoming a starter, there is an 80% chance he gets cut in training camp, if he shows no inclination to get into shape!!!

BS.

1 hour ago, gohogs14 said:

Frank Ragnow pro day numbers:

Vertical - 33.5
Broad Jump - 9-7
40 Yard Dash - Unofficial 4.9

He's going to be a really good offensive lineman in a ZBS in my opinion. Don't love him in a power scheme, but in a ZBS, I think he's a competent day one starter. 

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

BS.

Well, in the last 65 years as a draftnik, I have seen it time and time again, where college All Americans show up at the Combine, totally out of shape and go on to have very short careers. You simply cannot survive in the NFL if you have zero commitment to working hard at your profession??

You can call it BS, but I will tell you right now, NFL coaches waste little time on players who simply will not work hard to improve and players who are totally out of shape cannot play hard for 60 minutes and every coach knows that!!!

20 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

You can call it BS, but I will tell you right now, NFL coaches waste little time on players who simply will not work hard to improve and players who are totally out of shape cannot play hard for 60 minutes and every coach knows that!!!

I've never seen an effort issues in a game from Brown though. Will he need a strength and conditioning coach to help whip him into shape? Sure. But that's their job.

20 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Well, in the last 65 years as a draftnik, I have seen it time and time again, where college All Americans show up at the Combine, totally out of shape and go on to have very short careers. You simply cannot survive in the NFL if you have zero commitment to working hard at your profession??

Brown is heavy and slow, he’s not out of shape though. His college tape shows that he’s strong despite his bench numbers and that he didn’t struggle from a conditioning standpoint. He’s just big and slow. Plenty of guys are successful NFL players without major conditioning issues (Poe, Vea, Wilfork, Loadholt, Cannon). 

Brown is who he is on film. A mammoth tackle that manhandles defensive linemen with questionable lateral agility and technique. 

The amazing thing on the combine is you can compare numbers with other players that they are like.

Loadholt combine

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 07'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 5.06
3-Cone Drill: 8.18

40: 5.49

10 yard split 1.91

Brown Combine

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 19 1/2
Broad Jump: 06'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 5.38
3-Cone Drill: 7.87

40: 5.81

10 yard split 2.00

While I agree that Brown can have a long career in the NFL like Loadholt and Max Starks, there is a lot to be said for how terrible he looked.  Brown's Pro day numbers still are not close to Loadholt or Starks.  Brown is a cement footed waist bender that will require a lot of work.  3rd round at best.

On 3/26/2018 at 4:21 PM, Iamcanadian said:

How is this guy out of shape? He lost close to 100 pounds, dominated competition in college, and was on one of the most high-tempo offenses in the country at Oklahoma. But magically he's going to be in worse shape in the NFL? How does the NFL combine sell you on something that his game tape clearly refutes?

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

How is this guy out of shape? He lost close to 100 pounds, dominated competition in college, and was on one of the most high-tempo offenses in the country at Oklahoma. But magically he's going to be in worse shape in the NFL? How does the NFL combine sell you on something that his game tape clearly refutes?

Scouts/GM are not impressed by stories of how many pounds a player has lost. They believe "Once a fat boy, always a fat boy."

I remember Jimmy Kennedy "falling" in a similar situation, although he was a better athlete than Orlando. He never had a big career as he was always struggling with weight issues rather than focusing on solely improving his football.

Analytics nerds say Orlando does not have a chance, and I can't argue with them.

5 minutes ago, Techbert said:

Scouts/GM are not impressed by stories of how many pounds a player has lost. They believe "Once a fat boy, always a fat boy."

I remember Jimmy Kennedy "falling" in a similar situation, although he was a better athlete than Orlando. He never had a big career as he was always struggling with weight issues rather than focusing on solely improving his football.

Analytics nerds say Orlando does not have a chance, and I can't argue with them.

Tape nerds will tell you otherwise. I thought it was universally understood that the NFL combine should never move the needle that much on a prospect. Orlando Brown was a 1st round pick before he ran through some tests. He has 1st round tape. Now all of a sudden people want to crucify him. It's silly and overblown.

29 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

You're probably right, but I think he should get a shot at OT to start his career.  His tape at OT is pretty damn good IMO...

He's in that Joel Bitonio/Forrest Lamp category to me. Could he? Probably. But I don't think teams will want to waste time experimenting.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Tape nerds will tell you otherwise. I thought it was universally understood that the NFL combine should never move the needle that much on a prospect. Orlando Brown was a 1st round pick before he ran through some tests. He has 1st round tape. Now all of a sudden people want to crucify him. It's silly and overblown.

I agreed.

There is not a lot of examples of a guy with a great college career like Brown had on OU and a projected 1st rounder, then having a poor combine and was terrible in the NFL.  Does not happen that often and Brown could be the first if he does not turn out.  Usually it is just a mid to late round guy falling a few rounds more.  Aaron Gibson 6-6 386, 5.35 40 time, 31 reps Bench press and 35.50 arm length.  Great numbers sure, but does not mean this 1st round pick was a lock to become a great player, sure injuries really caught up with him but still.  Just like Orlando Brown having a poor combine does not mean he will be an awful prospect.   

A little quote about Aaron Gibson.  "I've never seen someone who weighs 400 pounds, can squat 700 pounds, can clean over 400 pounds, can bench over 500 pounds and can do the splits," says Chris McIntosh, Gibson's fellow offensive lineman at Wisconsin.

Orlando Brown I view as still a work in progress, he is a RS Junior and still has room and time to work and improve his physical abilities.  But he is pretty damn good for being a little doughy, think about if he does indeed get in better shape.  

Archived