2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

UCF LT Aaron Evans might be one of the most slept on OL in this class.  Kid is really solid.  He's probably a better fit at OG or C (if he can snap), but he's really solid and plays super in control, with a great anchor and footwork, and is really good blocking out in space.  At the very least, I see a long time backup IOL out of him.  Has some solid pro day #'s too, 6'5" 309, 5.2 40, 25" vert, 7.79 3c, and 4.75 SS.  

• 2 weeks later...

It's been well documented that this tackle class is severely lacking stardust at the top, but I've watched a whole bunch of mid and lower tier level players in this draft and there are NFL players in that group - there's not the severe drop-off you got last year. There is some good value to be had there, players like Will Richardson, Joe Noteboom, Geron Christian, Timon Parris, KC McDermott, Zach Crabtree and Brandon Parker have their limitations and might only become swing guys at the next level - but they are far from disasters. 

13 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

It's been well documented that this tackle class is severely lacking stardust at the top, but I've watched a whole bunch of mid and lower tier level players in this draft and there are NFL players in that group - there's not the severe drop-off you got last year. There is some good value to be had there, players like Will Richardson, Joe Noteboom, Geron Christian, Timon Parris, KC McDermott, Zach Crabtree and Brandon Parker have their limitations and might only become swing guys at the next level - but they are far from disasters. 

I feel like that's this whole class in a nutshell basically.  Depth of guys with potential for days...but just lacking the bluechip top-end at so many positions.  Including Offensive Tackle.

Interior OLine on the other hand, might be one of the few where that's flipped around this year...and the top end feels unusually strong instead.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like that's this whole class in a nutshell basically.  Depth of guys with potential for days...but just lacking the bluechip top-end at so many positions.  Including Offensive Tackle.

Interior OLine on the other hand, might be one of the few where that's flipped around this year...and the top end feels unusually strong instead.

Agreed. Unless you’re in the QB market - it’s a good year to plump out depth on the roster. There’s a fair chance you’ll hit on some gems somewhere along the line. 

On 3/31/2018 at 9:29 AM, Duffman57 said:

UCF LT Aaron Evans might be one of the most slept on OL in this class.  Kid is really solid.  He's probably a better fit at OG or C (if he can snap), but he's really solid and plays super in control, with a great anchor and footwork, and is really good blocking out in space.  At the very least, I see a long time backup IOL out of him.  Has some solid pro day #'s too, 6'5" 309, 5.2 40, 25" vert, 7.79 3c, and 4.75 SS.  

Those are actually pretty sub-par numbers for a guy that didn't even crack 310, also seeing as I have his forty listed at 5.35. I think Evans will be a camp body and maybe get a chance to stick around on a practice squad. I'm not sure I would anticipate too much more out of him.

2 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Those are actually pretty sub-par numbers for a guy that didn't even crack 310, also seeing as I have his forty listed at 5.35. I think Evans will be a camp body and maybe get a chance to stick around on a practice squad. I'm not sure I would anticipate too much more out of him.

40 yard dash doesn't really matter. Only thing it might translate to is maybe at the goaline where they might just fire out as hard as possible. The only numbers NFL teams care about are height/weight (6'5"/310 passes every threshold they might have), arm length (I'd argue this doesn't really matter), and short shuttle (4.75 should pass every threshold). 

2 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

40 yard dash doesn't really matter. Only thing it might translate to is maybe at the goaline where they might just fire out as hard as possible. The only numbers NFL teams care about are height/weight (6'5"/310 passes every threshold they might have), arm length (I'd argue this doesn't really matter), and short shuttle (4.75 should pass every threshold). 

The point wasn't whether the forty matters or not, I was just saying the guy was a full .15 off.

And just because some of his numbers pass thresholds, that isn't what we are going for here. He barely hits the average for shuttle, he is 6043, 310 lbs. which is below average, and is 3-cone is a bit above average. Evans is an okay player with a below average skill-set. Not much to get overly excited about.

42 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Anyone seen this guy? Had big pro day #s.

Cunningham is almost super lite Kolton Miller. Transition to offensive line coming out of high school, didn't play much until 2016. Great athlete for the position but it doesn't always show up. Seems to be a step behind just in terms of mental processing at the position and he also has shorter arm (32 1/4") for the next level. I have him as my very last PFA among OT's. I think if he got some more time to sit, he could become a decent back-up swing tackle. 

14 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Cunningham is almost super lite Kolton Miller. Transition to offensive line coming out of high school, didn't play much until 2016. Great athlete for the position but it doesn't always show up. Seems to be a step behind just in terms of mental processing at the position and he also has shorter arm (32 1/4") for the next level. I have him as my very last PFA among OT's. I think if he got some more time to sit, he could become a decent back-up swing tackle. 

I'm reading this assessment and thinking of Jake Fisher...

3 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

The point wasn't whether the forty matters or not, I was just saying the guy was a full .15 off.

And just because some of his numbers pass thresholds, that isn't what we are going for here. He barely hits the average for shuttle, he is 6043, 310 lbs. which is below average, and is 3-cone is a bit above average. Evans is an okay player with a below average skill-set. Not much to get overly excited about.

40 doesn't matter though really. Doesn't matter if he's off if the test doesn't really matter. And, it doesn't matter that he barely passed other thresholds because he still passed them. That's why they're thresholds and not a sliding scale. Passing is passing. 

8 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

With short arms, any chance at a NFL career will be on the inside.

Archived