2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

5 hours ago, Jlash said:

I think he goes somewhere in the 2nd. Yes his combine was bad, but what he put on film for years shows what kind of player he is.

Yea, I think 2nd or 3rd. I won't be surprised if he falls further than he should because teams always outsmart themselves. I agree with @CWood21 that he's a better prospect than Loadholt. Loadholt's career ended prematurely due to injury (seems pretty common for those massive OTs), but he was a good RT during his career. If Brown gets his body right, I think he can be a solid to good LT and a great RT.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

But is he more valuable as an elite OG or an average LT?

I'm not so sure that there will be a huge disparity between him at OG and LT. I don't know that he has the power in the running game to be an elite OG. And I think he has the potential to be a very good pass protector at LT. Personally, I see good LT vs. great OG. And with the lack of supply at LT this year, he might be needed there more for at least the mean time.

12 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

You’ve got to look at him there surely, it’s a position that just fits his skill set so well. Optics bias are a hell of a drug. How often do you watch a game and think, ‘wow this tackle is getting his *** kicked because he’s too short’ versus ‘wow this tackle looks the part, but he is absolutely terrible’? 

Even optically in terms of Wynn, i don't find that he actually looks necessarily that undersized as a Tackle.  He looks...oddly built, and visibly short, but i've said it before i think...it's like somebody put a set of LT limbs on their squatty "Interior OLine" Mr Potato Head body.

It's a real deal though for most teams, and it may be tough for Wynn to find a landing spot that'll give him a whirl at Tackle.  Especially considering how he's generally being valued highly as a Guard.  Size bias can be powerful stuff.  I mean, there's all kinds of huge hype seemingly building around Kolton Miller, who feels to me like the opposite end of the spectrum, with a guy who is almost too tall, and has bouts where all that length starts too look like a liability for him.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's a better prospect that Phil Loadholt, and he was a 2nd round pick who had a decent career.

That’s debatable.  Phil Loadholt has a significantly better combine outside of the 3 cone drill.  Perhaps Loadholt could’ve played LT for Oklahoma if they didn’t have Trent Williams.

Phil Loadholt  Orlando Brown

Height        6’8”                     6’8”

Weight       332 lbs.            360 lbs.

40 Time     5.53                    5.85

Bench         24                        14

Vert             29                       19.5

Broad          95                       82

3 Cone       8.18                    7.87

20 Shuttle  5.06                    5.38

25 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

That’s debatable.  Phil Loadholt has a significantly better combine outside of the 3 cone drill.  Perhaps Loadholt could’ve played LT for Oklahoma if they didn’t have Trent Williams.

Phil Loadholt  Orlando Brown

Height        6’8”                     6’8”

Weight       332 lbs.            360 lbs.

40 Time     5.53                    5.85

Bench         24                        14

Vert             29                       19.5

Broad          95                       82

3 Cone       8.18                    7.87

20 Shuttle  5.06                    5.38

It's really not debatable. I saw them both play. Brown was the better college player. I don't care that Loadholt only had a bad Combine instead of a terrible one.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Even optically in terms of Wynn, i don't find that he actually looks necessarily that undersized as a Tackle.  He looks...oddly built, and visibly short, but i've said it before i think...it's like somebody put a set of LT limbs on their squatty "Interior OLine" Mr Potato Head body.

It's a real deal though for most teams, and it may be tough for Wynn to find a landing spot that'll give him a whirl at Tackle.  Especially considering how he's generally being valued highly as a Guard.  Size bias can be powerful stuff.  I mean, there's all kinds of huge hype seemingly building around Kolton Miller, who feels to me like the opposite end of the spectrum, with a guy who is almost too tall, and has bouts where all that length starts too look like a liability for him.

Agreed, I guess it comes back to GMs and coaches wanting prototypes because it absolves them a portion of blame if things don't pan out. They're only doing what the next guy would have done. You don't want to fail on a guy who didn't fit the mold, that's your own dumb fault. It's a weird cycle to break. 

1 hour ago, Kparty15 said:

There's nothing to debate.  Orlando Brown's tape was vastly superior to that of Phil Loadholt.  Also, Phil Loadholt did play LT for the Sooners.  Trent Williams actually played on the right side of the OL.  But continue to use a glorified workout to justify your argument.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's nothing to debate.  Orlando Brown's tape was vastly superior to that of Phil Loadholt.  Also, Phil Loadholt did play LT for the Sooners.  Trent Williams actually played on the right side of the OL.  But continue to use a glorified workout to justify your argument.

He definitely doesn't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Archived