2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

Are they saying won't work at LT, or won't be able to play either tackle spot? 

Orlando Sr. (RIP) was good for a long time, but not sure 'dominant' is the word I would use. The guy didn't get selected to the Pro Bowl or All-Pro team once and was strictly a RT. I like Orlando Jr., but I've been back and forth on him and where he should be valued exactly.

2 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Orlando Sr. (RIP) was good for a long time, but not sure 'dominant' is the word I would use. The guy didn't get selected to the Pro Bowl or All-Pro team once and was strictly a RT. I like Orlando Jr., but I've been back and forth on him and where he should be valued exactly.

What I meant was physically dominant. He wasn't a HOF player but he was very good, was always on the field and physically mauled people. There were a lot of circumstances that lead to him not getting much recognition during his career. He came into the league on the older side and lost four years of his prime. Played during a time with a lot of great left tackles including his teammate.

2 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I've brought up my concerns with Mike McGlinchey in other threads and Saturday was not a positive performance. Couple a tweets from this morning that highlighted two plays:

McGlinchey could be an awesome guard though. His biggest issue is speed / athleticism, which is mitigated on the inside. I felt the same way a couple of years ago about Bitonio, and he's turned into a solid guard. You could start him at tackle, but maybe his final position in the NFL will be good guard and can fill in as swing tackle. 

Also, just watching those clips, can't be reiterated enough...Nelson is a freaking stud. I'm seriously hoping the 49ers use a top 5 pick on a guard...I never thought I'd say that. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

McGlinchey could be an awesome guard though. His biggest issue is speed / athleticism, which is mitigated on the inside. I felt the same way a couple of years ago about Bitonio, and he's turned into a solid guard. You could start him at tackle, but maybe his final position in the NFL will be good guard and can fill in as swing tackle. 

Also, just watching those clips, can't be reiterated enough...Nelson is a freaking stud. I'm seriously hoping the 49ers use a top 5 pick on a guard...I never thought I'd say that. 

Yes McGlinchey had a rough game against that speed for sure.  However I still feel he will be a 1st round pick at OT and is a very solid potential RT at the next level, maybe not LT but still the kid is very promising as a prospect.  Does not help the Notre Dame QB pissed his pants mentally and that Miami D completely teed off on him, not to mention the huge lead so they could even further teed off with the lack of success running the ball and the unlikelihood of it happening with that lead.  McGlinchey is still easily a top 3 OT in the draft if not top 2, only guy for sure ahead of him is Orlando Brown I would say.  McGlinchey's ability to pull and block down field is outstanding, kid is very solid and a nice looking prospect on the OL.  He is not the 1st highly rated OT to look a fool in college with those wide splints and linebacker types playing DE who are completely outside any reasonable split.

Nelson I agree could easily be a top 5 pick with how he has played.  Then again let us be honest, if you put Nelson out at tackle, which is where he would play on most programs with his ability, he would have looked just as foolish against that speed in space.  That crowd was nuts and against Wimbush who basically threw 5 potential INTs and one completed INT in the first three offensive possessions of that game.  He was very mentally freaked out and threw the ball like that, so yeah they teed off and made that entire offense look bad.  

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Then again let us be honest, if you put Nelson out at tackle, which is where he would play on most programs with his ability, he would have looked just as foolish against that speed in space.

....did you just knock a guy based on a hypothetical projection on a position he doesn't play to lessen the struggle McGlinchey had? That was special.

43 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Tyrell Crosby has had a terrific season. #1 rated OT by PFF.

Seems like Cristobal really helped him. Pass set was always nice on the right side, struggled a little moving over to the left side. Looks a lot better on the left side this year. 

8 hours ago, Jlash said:

....did you just knock a guy based on a hypothetical projection on a position he doesn't play to lessen the struggle McGlinchey had? That was special.

Last time I checked that happens constantly in college football because obviously you want your best players at the hardest spot which is usually OT.  Zach Martin, Marshal Yanda, Brandon Scherff, Kelechi Osemele, Zane Beadles, James Carpenter and many others played tackle in college and are now a guard in the NFL.  Not to mention guys currently doing that right now in college with Martez Ivey, Jon Dietzen, Dalton Risner, Chasz Wright, David Bright and Derrick Kelly etc....all who project as a guard I would say at the next level.

So for Nelson to not be moved to tackle helps greatly because I would be shocked if he is a better tackle than McGlinchey is.   The guy who is being made a fool of at times this year despite being a very solid overall prospect and lineman.  So lucky for him, unlike most schools they did not move him out to tackle on the opposite side of McGlinchey.   And again not the first highly rated tackle to look foolish his final year, Lewan had some bad games his last year on Michigan...

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Last time I checked that happens constantly in college football because obviously you want your best players at the hardest spot which is usually OT.  Zach Martin, Marshal Yanda, Brandon Scherff, Kelechi Osemele, Zane Beadles, James Carpenter and many others played tackle in college and are now a guard in the NFL.  Not to mention guys currently doing that right now in college with Martez Ivey, Jon Dietzen, Dalton Risner, Chasz Wright, David Bright and Derrick Kelly etc....all who project as a guard I would say at the next level.

So for Nelson to not be moved to tackle helps greatly because I would be shocked if he is a better tackle than McGlinchey is.   The guy who is being made a fool of at times this year despite being a very solid overall prospect and lineman.  So lucky for him, unlike most schools they did not move him out to tackle on the opposite side of McGlinchey.   And again not the first highly rated tackle to look foolish his final year, Lewan had some bad games his last year on Michigan...

Oh alright

source.gif

Archived