2018 Draft Eligible OL Thread (OT, OG, C)

CalhounLambeau

To re-post my last post from the old forum:

There was only 3 DT's and 3 OT's selected in the first two rounds this past draft. I think there will be a glut in 2018 to compensate. 

2016: 8 DT's and 5 OT's in the first 2 rounds 
2015: 4 DT's and 9 OT's in the first 2 rounds 
2015: 5 DT's and 8 OT's in the first 2 rounds

On 8/23/2017 at 7:59 PM, LinderFournette said:

watch the the LT from Texas ;)

Connor Williams looked like he had a pretty bad game to me. All kinds of penalties both with holding and pre-snap, and he was consistently being beat with a speed rush.

During the West Virginia vs Virginia Tech game, LG Wyatt Teller looked to be getting a lot of push, though. I didn't watch a whole lot of that game, but when I did, he was doing well. He's actually a converted DE: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-prospect-preview-va-techs-wyatt-teller-is-only-getting-better

Connor Williams has had issues with his past set, everyone has seemingly overlooked it because of his age. He's good in the run game, but he has to work on that pass set. He might be a Jack Conklin type of guy who is good in the run game and gets a bunch of help in the pass game to mask his pass set issues.

Watching that GT-Tenn game last night, GT RG Shamire Devine has to be the biggest lineman i've ever seen in a triple option offense.  6-7 380, but surprisingly didnt really have a sloppy build.  Also had a couple devastating blocks.

On 02/09/2017 at 5:58 PM, PAW said:

Curious to see what Mitch Hyatt grades out as.  Don't see him being a 1st round pick given that he is 6'5 300 and isn't a freak athlete, but he has very good technique and is light on his feet.  Has started since day 1 and has shut down lot of DEs who have gone/will go to the NFL. 

I see a lot of Sam Baker in him.

On 9/3/2017 at 10:59 PM, DraftHobbyist said:

Connor Williams looked like he had a pretty bad game to me. All kinds of penalties both with holding and pre-snap, and he was consistently being beat with a speed rush.

Really felt that the Connor Williams hype got out too early.  He's not a bad prospect, but the talk of him being a lock as the top OT prospect was premature at best.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Bellamy sealed it beating McGlinchy around the edge....but look at Quenton Nelson's intial punch on Trent Thompson. :o

Quenton Nelson is an amazing player, definitely the best OL on that team. Probably the best OL in the country, honestly. McGlinchey actually had a good game against Georgia, although that play is a great example of where he falls short. Isn't a good stance, doesn't get to his spot, then panics when the defender pushes the edge and he just threw his hands out. He is usually getting beat when he isn't getting into his set properly or is just slow/lazy in getting enough depth in his set. And then, when that happens, you see guys run right around him and you see him panic, lunge forward, open his hips, or abandon his set too early.

9 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Bellamy sealed it beating McGlinchy around the edge....but look at Quenton Nelson's intial punch on Trent Thompson.

Unfortunately, McGlinchey will never be considered an elite LT prospect.  Not an elite pass protector in that regard.

8 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Thoughts on how he might project as a RT, if a team had him add bulk?

No real reason to bulk him up, if anything that hurts him even more in pass pro.  Kinda reminds me of Riley Reiff in that regard.  Not sure he's as questionable as a OT prospect as Reiff was, but just leaves more to be desired at tackle than you'd like.

Archived