NY Sports thread

Dr.O

This John Tavares saga is out of control. Tavares has been 1st class throughout his career, but the way he’s handled the last 4 months or so has been horrible. I have no issues if a player just wants to leave in Free Agency. That’s 100% their choice. So if he all along wanted to leave for another team, money, family, whatever... I’d be ok with that. I wouldn’t be happy about it as a fan. But I’d understand it.

The part that’s uneasy for me and most Islanders fans is what he’s said and done over these last 4 months or so. He 100% made it sound like he’d sign long term as long as we hit a new arena. We get approved for a new arena and he doesn’t sign. The next part is the one that gets me. At the trade deadline he requests the Islanders not to trade him bc he wants to stay. The Islanders could have cashed in big time for him if he had any thoughts at all of not returning. The Islanders didn’t trade him, thinking he’d sign. He still dint sign. He throughout all of this has made very Islanders fan feel as if he was resigning and wants to stay. The Islanders to show they’re serious and want to get better sigh one of the best hockey minds their is in Lou Lamerillo to be the new GM. On top of that the Islanders then sign one of the best coaches their is in Barry Trotz. Showing this organization is serious. Still he doesn’t sign. Another head scratching part is the islanders drafted 3 very good players just a week ago. Tavares texted all of them to welcome them. If he had any desire to leave, texting them is not professional. The Islanders with an 8yr advantage offer him officially an 8yr/12mill per contract on Sunday and he still doesn’t sign. The date has passed now for that adavantage the Islanders has for that 8th year, making the arrows all point to him leaving.

This is a prime example on how a beloved player can go from loved to hated. And it never had to be like that. The odds are small he resigns. If he does, Islanders fans won’t forget this crappy process he drug us through. And if he leaves... quite frankly he will instantly become my most hated hockey player ever. Bc of the way he drug the Islanders throughout all of this. If he wanted to leave the respectable thing to do would have been to let them trade you.

31 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Is that true about trading him at the deadline? I thought that was the dumbest thing in keeping him.

Yup. He requested not to be traded. The Islanders wanted him to sign long term before the deadline obviously. Islanders sat with him and said he need to trade you if you’re not signing. His response was don’t trade me bc I believe we will come to a long term deal eventually. He really screwed them over. It’s honestly crazy how fast a guy can go to one of your favorite athletes to a player you hate. And quite frankly Tavares deserves this hate. Not bc he left for Toronto... but bc the way he handled it.

Archived