2018 Draft Eligible Non-Rush DL Thread

CalhounLambeau

Vita Vea is a freak. He doesn't have the physical flaws that most guys his size have. He moves way better than he should. He power isn't fair. He's a beast playing the run. He's just a little predictable as a pass rusher, mostly just bull rushes at this point.

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

Vita Vea is a freak. He doesn't have the physical flaws that most guys his size have. He moves way better than he should. He power isn't fair. He's a beast playing the run. He's just a little predictable as a pass rusher, mostly just bull rushes at this point.

How would you compare/contrast him to Haloti Ngata?

1 minute ago, CalhounLambeau said:

How would you compare/contrast him to Haloti Ngata?

Didn't see Ngata play in college, but it's a fair comparison based on what I've seen from him in the NFL. Everything is there, just needs to be a more diverse pass rusher. Vita Vea easily has All-Pro potential in my mind.

• 1 month later...

Huge fan of Maurice Hurst here. Clearly the top DL I've seen in this draft.

Not sure I totally see it with Christian Wilkins as a sure fire first-round pick. He might be the fourth DL at Clemson IWBH. Dre'Mont Jones/Da'Shawn Hand should make NFL rosters, but first-round talk is a bit much to me. Hand is like Brent Urban coming out of UVA.

Need to see 2017 of Derrick Nnadi, Vita Vea, Lowell Lotulelei, Andrew Brown, Steven Richardson, Trenton Thompson and spotlight Da'Ron Payne. Any other names?

3 hours ago, justo said:

Not sure I totally see it with Christian Wilkins as a sure fire first-round pick. He might be the fourth DL at Clemson IWBH. Dre'Mont Jones/Da'Shawn Hand should make NFL rosters, but first-round talk is a bit much to me. Hand is like Brent Urban coming out of UVA.

Need to see 2017 of Derrick Nnadi, Vita Vea, Lowell Lotulelei, Andrew Brown, Steven Richardson, Trenton Thompson and spotlight Da'Ron Payne. Any other names?

Hurst's first step is unreal. Just explodes off the line to blow plays up

8 hours ago, justo said:

Bilal Nichols, Delaware. Should test well, has a good build, and looks pretty explosive. Should be invited to one of the offseason bowl games. 

Hurst has a strange body type. He has that too slow for DE too small for DT frame ala Tank Carradine. I would say he could play 5-tech, but he's like 6'2 and lacks the length to lock out OT's. I like the kid as a collegiate player, but he'll struggle in the pros IMO. Not a terrible NFL guy, but I can't see him being an above average starter.

I don't really like any of these interior lineman that much. I think Da'Shawn Hand is by far the most intriguing, but he's very raw and hasn't figured it out yet. He reminds me a little bit of Chris Jones, but he's not ready to get that comparison until he starts producing more frequently (even tho Jones was wildly inconsistent in college too). Vita Vea is a little overrated IMO. Again, solid middle of the 2nd round guy for me, but comparisons to Ngata seem unwarranted. I was not impressed by his tape last year. Plus I hate the idea of drafting a pure NT early on, even if he does have Ngata type talent. Da'Ron Payne has some nice upside. I think he could play some 0/1/2/3 technique. Probably more of a 2 tech right now, but I like his game and play strength. He has a little more twitch than Vea IMO. Derrick Nnandi looks like a mid-late 1st round pick. He can and will play 3-Technique. He reminds me of Kenny Clark a few drafts ago and I expect him to go in a similar spot. He could also easily play 5-Tech in a 3-4.

Christian Wilkins is good at everything, but a master of nothing. He's a solid football player, but if I'm investing top dollar in a 1st round pick DT, I am going to want him to have elite upside. I don't think Wilkins has that. His ceiling is good starter, not dominant franchise cornerstone.

The other guys I've seen a lot of is Miami's DL. In terms of eligible 2018 guys, two are going to get drafted in the top 3 rounds. Chad Thomas the DE will go in the 3rd or so round. Big strong base DE who has yet to find his ceiling. He's got all the traits of an NFL starter, but doesn't flash the necessary technique and consistent motor yet...and he may never get there. However, when he's on, he's NASTY. My favorite Miami player is DT Kendrick Norton. He's a stud and could go late 1st. He's got a lot of power and movement skill. Good pass rusher and stout against the run. A true 2-way DT that can shoot gaps or control blockers with a stack & shed.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Hurst has a strange body type. He has that too slow for DE too small for DT frame ala Tank Carradine. I would say he could play 5-tech, but he's like 6'2 and lacks the length to lock out OT's. I like the kid as a collegiate player, but he'll struggle in the pros IMO. Not a terrible NFL guy, but I can't see him being an above average starter.

What? Hurst is easily big enough to play inside. Are you basing that off of him being listed at 280? Because that number isn't accurate, it's an outdated measurement from earlier in his career. Besides, if you just look at him he's clearly larger than that listed weight and if you watch him play he's clearly able to play on the inside.

3 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

What? Hurst is easily big enough to play inside. Are you basing that off of him being listed at 280? Because that number isn't accurate, it's an outdated measurement from earlier in his career. Besides, if you just look at him he's clearly larger than that listed weight and if you watch him play he's clearly able to play on the inside.

You'd know more than me on Hurst, but yeah he looks about 280 to me, which matches his listed weight. Maybe he is bigger than that now, but he doesn't look like he's 15 pounds heavier than 280, which is what I'd want a 3-Tech on the smaller side to weigh.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You'd know more than me on Hurst, but yeah he looks about 280 to me, which matches his listed weight. Maybe he is bigger than that now, but he doesn't look like he's 15 pounds heavier than 280, which is what I'd want a 3-Tech on the smaller side to weigh.

He was around 270 his first year on campus, then he got up to around 280 his 2nd year. They stopped updating his real weight at that point. He probably weighs right around 300.

Regardless, he can play on the inside. He's strong enough to do it and his skillset fits there.

On 10/1/2017 at 11:38 AM, IDOG_det said:

He was around 270 his first year on campus, then he got up to around 280 his 2nd year. They stopped updating his real weight at that point. He probably weighs right around 300.

Regardless, he can play on the inside. He's strong enough to do it and his skillset fits there.

Idk man, Hurst looks about 280-285 to me. His legs and arms are pretty small for a 300 lber.

On 9/30/2017 at 2:52 PM, justo said:

Don't waste your time with Richardson he's 5'11

Hurst is small but I don't see a big difference between his size and Geno Atkins, Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett, Javon Hargrave, Mike Daniels, etc. If you can play with natural leverage and you're explosive enough to win with your first step, size isn't really a factor.

Archived