2018 Draft Eligible Non-Rush DL Thread

CalhounLambeau

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I just don't see it, and I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible. I watched the tOSU game and watched him specifically and he couldn't even dominate Demetrius Knox who is the back up. I tried to give him a chance but I just don't see this whole dominating thing and I just don't think he has the physical tools to just all of the sudden dominate on the next level.

That's my main issue as well, the physical tools. Even going back to the Penn State game, a team that doesn't have a good line but an elite backfield, both him and McCray did not look good that game. 

20 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

That's my main issue as well, the physical tools. Even going back to the Penn State game, a team that doesn't have a good line but an elite backfield, both him and McCray did not look good that game. 

The problem is, people mistake bull rushing for explosion, buddys hamstrings are average. I implore guys to watch for themselves, actual games, not highlights. I just watched both games against OSU and there is nothing that says first round pick in my eyes. I see unathletic and average strength

This is obviously something that could starkly shift depending on how tomorrow's ACC Championship game plays out, but what do people think are the odds (given the consistently increasing number of underclassmen declares every year) that RJ McIntosh comes out early?

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

This is obviously something that could starkly shift depending on how tomorrow's ACC Championship game plays out, but what do people think are the odds (given the consistently increasing number of underclassmen declares every year) that RJ McIntosh comes out early?

80% he leaves. There have been rumors from that Miami Twitter dude. 

55 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

80% he leaves. There have been rumors from that Miami Twitter dude. 

Unless he straight up blows up the combine, which he's kind of capable of doing, I wouldn't expect him to reach the 1st round, but I can definitely see him slipping into Day 2 comfortably.  His handwork is on another level compared to a lot of the rest of the class.  It's not Bosa-level in terms of how refined Joey's was when he came out, but the quickness and violence in his hands really stands out - he just needs to put in a bit more work on accuracy/placement.  And handwork is such an underrated trait for DL - effectively helps give them a significantly higher floor than their peers.

On 11/30/2017 at 10:19 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

The problem is, people mistake bull rushing for explosion, buddys hamstrings are average. I implore guys to watch for themselves, actual games, not highlights. I just watched both games against OSU and there is nothing that says first round pick in my eyes. I see unathletic and average strength

This is not what I or anyone else who likes Hurst is doing. Cutups are easy to access so I do't know why an evaluation would be based on highlights.

Hurst plays a two different roles for Michigan: nose tackle and interior penetrator. A tell tale sign of an every down player vs. a rotational player is how the coaching staff uses him. Hurst is in on 1st and 10 and 3rd and 6; he doesn't come off the field in key situations. He's able to occupy blocks and open up the defense to his teammates and slip a gap to generate pressure. He's a rare breed of defensive tackle who can stay on the field in whatever situation.

Hurst often lines up at the 1-tech spot which means most of the time he's standing his ground while occupying blocks. Every defense needs at least one guy like this and usually it's a rotational player. Hurst is virtually immovable even against double and sometimes triple teams. When he does get the opportunity to shine in one on one, he usually takes it:

https://youtu.be/pSOTDLgW9Gs?t=39s

Hurst also shows the ability to stack and shed against one on one with regularity. This exemplifies his strength as an interior player and it's clear his weight (which I imagine is significantly higher than list) isn't a factor:

https://youtu.be/pSOTDLgW9Gs?t=48s

He also shows the ability to stunt, which is really a testament to his movement skills. Often we'll see strong interior defensive lineman not be able to travel across the line or change direction. Hurst, is able to open things for himself and other players with his ability to move his frame laterally on the line:

https://youtu.be/pSOTDLgW9Gs?t=51s

The quarterback scores here, but that's not a flush most DTs are able to get. Hurst also can use his hands to shed blockers before they know what hit them. It's the type of quickness typically seen from 1-techs.

https://youtu.be/pSOTDLgW9Gs?t=3m1s

Is there a decent pro comp for Harrison Philips?  Is he more of a 3T or NT?

Watched most of the Pac 12 title last night and the guys calling the game were raving about him.  Talked a lot about his wrestling history and how it helped with his awareness and use of hands.

What are your thoughts?

14 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Is there a decent pro comp for Harrison Philips?  Is he more of a 3T or NT?

Watched most of the Pac 12 title last night and the guys calling the game were raving about him.  Talked a lot about his wrestling history and how it helped with his awareness and use of hands.

What are your thoughts?

5T

55 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

This is not what I or anyone else who likes Hurst is doing. Cutups are easy to access so I do't know why an evaluation would be based on highlights.

Hurst plays a two different roles for Michigan: nose tackle and interior penetrator. A tell tale sign of an every down player vs. a rotational player is how the coaching staff uses him. Hurst is in on 1st and 10 and 3rd and 6; he doesn't come off the field in key situations. He's able to occupy blocks and open up the defense to his teammates and slip a gap to generate pressure. He's a rare breed of defensive tackle who can stay on the field in whatever situation.

Hurst often lines up at the 1-tech spot which means most of the time he's standing his ground while occupying blocks. Every defense needs at least one guy like this and usually it's a rotational player. Hurst is virtually immovable even against double and sometimes triple teams. When he does get the opportunity to shine in one on one, he usually takes it:

https://youtu.be/pSOTDLgW9Gs?t=39s

Hurst also shows the ability to stack and shed against one on one with regularity. This exemplifies his strength as an interior player and it's clear his weight (which I imagine is significantly higher than list) isn't a factor:

https://youtu.be/pSOTDLgW9Gs?t=48s

He also shows the ability to stunt, which is really a testament to his movement skills. Often we'll see strong interior defensive lineman not be able to travel across the line or change direction. Hurst, is able to open things for himself and other players with his ability to move his frame laterally on the line:

https://youtu.be/pSOTDLgW9Gs?t=51s

The quarterback scores here, but that's not a flush most DTs are able to get. Hurst also can use his hands to shed blockers before they know what hit them. It's the type of quickness typically seen from 1-techs.

https://youtu.be/pSOTDLgW9Gs?t=3m1s

I never disputed what he can do on the college level. He does some really nice things, but my overall question in case you missed it is can he do these same things on the next level with his size and lack of athleticism?  

I just don't see it (at least being dominant in the NFL) but I got bumrushed for ridiculing Peppers last year too so im used to it.

22 hours ago, The LBC said:

I think he's gone. 70% chance. He's going to go in the 1st round. With a great combine, he could go top 15. He's a monster of a man that plays fast. If he can post explosive numbers (I'm skeptical he's off the charts physically), he'll go in the top half.

Archived