Kawhi Leonard wants out of San Antonio

BStanRamFan

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I think it is the Kings, but it's 1st overall protected I believe. Could be wrong. I still love Ingram's potential as KD lite, he's still so young. And Randle is just a quality starter that really started to come into his own last year.

Randle is a free agent.  Trading him would be somewhat difficult, from what I've heard.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

You're right, all of that is possible.  And I agree that most teams would not take that gamble; however, I feel like Boston is one that would.  They took a similar-ish gamble with Kyrie Irving because as you said, he could walk next summer.  I think the idea is, get these guys in here and let them see the culture and the winning and they will want to re-up.  The thing about the Lakers offer is that it's just worse than Boston's.  That's the issue if you're the Spurs.  You obviously want to trade Leonard to the team that can give you the most in return.

The one thing that changes all of this is if Kawhi Leonard says something like this - I will only sign an extension with the Lakers.  If I get traded to any other team, I will leave after the season.  In this case, nobody would trade for Leonard.  However, I don't think this is his stance which leaves an opening for a team like the Celtics to take a risk.

Assuming Ainge isn't willing to deal Tatum or Brown, what kind of package can Boston really offer?  They've got the MEM and SAC 1st next year, which could potentially be very valuable.  And the LAC 1st round pick should fall in that 12-18 range most likely depending on what happens this offseason.  Are any of those demonstrably more valuable than  lakers' package?

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Assuming Ainge isn't willing to deal Tatum or Brown, what kind of package can Boston really offer?  They've got the MEM and SAC 1st next year, which could potentially be very valuable.  And the LAC 1st round pick should fall in that 12-18 range most likely depending on what happens this offseason.  Are any of those demonstrably more valuable than  lakers' package?

Tatum is obviously off the table, but why wouldn't they be willing to deal Brown?  Honestly, I think they're probably willing to trade any player on their roster outside of Jayson Tatum.  I think Lonzo Ball could be a key part here.  People keep saying that the Spurs wouldn't want Lonzo, but why?  Lonzo seems like a great fit in the type of offense the Spurs run.  If I'm the Spurs and can get Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram, I think that's pretty intriguing.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Tatum is obviously off the table, but why wouldn't they be willing to deal Brown?  Honestly, I think they're probably willing to trade any player on their roster outside of Jayson Tatum.  I think Lonzo Ball could be a key part here.  People keep saying that the Spurs wouldn't want Lonzo, but why?  Lonzo seems like a great fit in the type of offense the Spurs run.

Well, Pop hates LaVar.  I don't know how much that would factor though.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Well, Pop hates LaVar.  I don't know how much that would factor though.

I think most people hate Lavar, but at the end of the day he's just a guy who runs his mouth.  It's not like he's an actual bad person out here committing crimes and causing that type of negative attention.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Tatum is obviously off the table, but why wouldn't they be willing to deal Brown?  Honestly, I think they're probably willing to trade any player on their roster outside of Jayson Tatum.  I think Lonzo Ball could be a key part here.  People keep saying that the Spurs wouldn't want Lonzo, but why?  Lonzo seems like a great fit in the type of offense the Spurs run.  If I'm the Spurs and can get Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram, I think that's pretty intriguing.

Why would you give up someone you think is a building block to your future for someone who might not stick in Boston?  It'd be one thing if the Celtics had two runs at a championship to convince him to re-sign.  But when you're banking on one season to change his mind, you're less inclined to make that kind of gamble.  And it's not like it'd just be Jaylen Brown for Kawhi.  The C's probably have to throw in the Kings' FRP and probably another pick or two along with one of their young players.  If you're Boston and you're not sure that Kawhi would re-sign, would you dangle Terry Rozier, Jaylen Brown, the Kings' FRP and the Clippers' FRP?  I wouldn't.

I don't think the Lakers are dangling Lonzo AND Ingram.  It'll be one of them along with Kuzma IMO.  I think the package for Kawhi is going to be underwhelming, much like the package for Paul George was.

10 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Kawhi is clearly not going to the Lakers. A random team is probably gonna trade for him like the Grizzly. 

#4, #32, 2021 protected 1st, Dillon Brooks, JaMychal Green, and Ben McLemore for Kawhi and #19.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

#4, #32, 2021 protected 1st, Dillon Brooks, JaMychal Green, and Ben McLemore for Kawhi and #19.

Does that even work salary wise?  And can't see Memphis giving up that package knowing Kawhi is leaving next offseason.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

LeBron was the longest of long shots to begin with.  It's essentially been the Lakers or Cavaliers with the Sixers being a distant 3rd.  If the Sixers are throwing max money out, they should be targeting Paul George.

Exactly.  The 76ers should toss a max contract at PG then look to trade #10, Fultz, and Covington/Saric for Leonard.  Give them a line-up of Simmons/PG/Leonard/Embiid + whatever else they bring in.

The thing about sending him to the East makes little sense if he could just come to the West the following season. So then you let him come to the Lakers without having them break up the young core and they become even better. If the Lakers give the Spurs the best offer or any team in the West, then the Spurs need to take it. You're only delaying the inevitable. 

I'm low key rooting for SA to not trade Kawhi just to see how the saga unfolds during the season. Want to see the Spurs disrupted a bit lol. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing about sending him to the East makes little sense if he could just come to the West the following season. So then you let him come to the Lakers without having them break up the young core and they become even better. If the Lakers give the Spurs the best offer or any team in the West, then the Spurs need to take it. You're only delaying the inevitable. 

I'm low key rooting for SA to not trade Kawhi just to see how the saga unfolds during the season. Want to see the Spurs disrupted a bit lol. 

Does anyone think that Pop will take a lesser package just to deal him out East?  That'd go against everything they've ever done.

Archived