Kawhi Leonard wants out of San Antonio

BStanRamFan

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I do think there is a chance they don't trade him to the Lakers just because that's what Kawhi wants. I don't totally buy Chris Sheridan saying zero percent chance he is moved to the West. 

Do you believe that if the Lakers are offering the best package that Pop won't trade him there out of principle?

4 minutes ago, Raves said:

Depends on how close the packages are.

We're obviously operating under the assumption that the Lakers are offering the best package.  Obviously, if it's close than the Spurs will deal him to the East.

46 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The thing about sending him to the East makes little sense if he could just come to the West the following season. So then you let him come to the Lakers without having them break up the young core and they become even better. If the Lakers give the Spurs the best offer or any team in the West, then the Spurs need to take it. You're only delaying the inevitable. 

I'm low key rooting for SA to not trade Kawhi just to see how the saga unfolds during the season. Want to see the Spurs disrupted a bit lol. 

Well they won't have cap next year. 

When I said Kawhi isn't going to the Lakers it is also based on the Lakers. You can already get PG13 and Bron w/o giving up the young pieces, why not just do that? You aren't getting all three because I doubt you have enough assets to get Kawhi and get rid of Deng's contract. The Spurs aren't taking the Deng contract, 0% chance of that happening. Unless stretching Deng gives them enough to fit all three (he would still count ~7.5 against the cap). 

Also saw somewhere they wouldn't be able to give Kawhi the max next year if they get all three. So that would be a problem.

They would be able to do a sign and trade with the team Kawhi is traded to, but I guess they would lose some of their assets with that. 

I'm sure the Lakers wouldn't mind getting LBJ/PG and not having to trade any of their youngsters. But if possible, you can't pass up on Kawhi. 

9 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Who  the hell burns a bridge with the Spurs?

So potentially the biggest cancer hiding behind a humble mask?

Seems like his uncle has a lot of control. It's an odd situation.

Based on what I've read, Kawhi is upset about his earnings potential. He's a top 5 (when healthy) player and he got offered a 20m dollar deal from Jordan. Which is obviously trash compared to what other guys in his talent range make. And I'd assume they want to get him to LA so he can make that endorsement money and are putting the blame on the SA organization for his lack of marketability.

I personally don't think Kawhi is marketable like that either way. But getting him to the Lakers might be the only way with that fan base and market. His personality sucks and his game is boring. It's a bummer for SA, but it looks like a money move to me. Which makes sense. But Kawhi should be taking a lot more heat. A lot of players would be getting killed for this

12 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Based on what I've read, Kawhi is upset about his earnings potential

I mean the Spurs are the only team that can give him the supermax and he would turn that down by being traded. So not sure how true that is.

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I mean the Spurs are the only team that can give him the supermax and he would turn that down by being traded. So not sure how true that is.

yeah, i mean becoming culturally relevant probably leads to future earnings that are more than the difference between the super max and max. both during his career and post career. but i'd agree that there are obviously multiple issues at play. 

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Well they won't have cap next year. 

When I said Kawhi isn't going to the Lakers it is also based on the Lakers. You can already get PG13 and Bron w/o giving up the young pieces, why not just do that? You aren't getting all three because I doubt you have enough assets to get Kawhi and get rid of Deng's contract. The Spurs aren't taking the Deng contract, 0% chance of that happening. Unless stretching Deng gives them enough to fit all three (he would still count ~7.5 against the cap). 

Also saw somewhere they wouldn't be able to give Kawhi the max next year if they get all three. So that would be a problem.

The Lakers would have cap space if they opted only to sign Paul George.  As for that second paragraph, that' smy line of thinking.  The Lakers aren't pressured to make a Big 3 IMO.  They'd like to, but they're not going to gut their team do so.

59 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Seems like his uncle has a lot of control. It's an odd situation.

Based on what I've read, Kawhi is upset about his earnings potential. He's a top 5 (when healthy) player and he got offered a 20m dollar deal from Jordan. Which is obviously trash compared to what other guys in his talent range make. And I'd assume they want to get him to LA so he can make that endorsement money and are putting the blame on the SA organization for his lack of marketability.

I personally don't think Kawhi is marketable like that either way. But getting him to the Lakers might be the only way with that fan base and market. His personality sucks and his game is boring. It's a bummer for SA, but it looks like a money move to me. Which makes sense. But Kawhi should be taking a lot more heat. A lot of players would be getting killed for this

It's exactly this. While yes the Spurs can offer him a super max, I think he and/or his camp have got the notion in their head that increased exposure and a larger market can lead to even greater future earnings. The difference between the super max and what other teams can pay him is roughly $40, but with the right endorsements and other venture opportunities that may be available in a bigger market such as California vs San Antonio, you are looking at potentially $100s of millions of dollars. So I get the rationale. I don't necessarily agree with the approach Kawhi and his camp have been taking to force his way out of San Antonio, but that's besides the point.

Spurs aren't going to trade Leonard. I think Pop would rather lose him for nothing than set the president of trading guys who ask for it. He refused to trade Aldridge last year as well.  

He smoothed the issues with Aldridge over and they now get along well. Aldridge didn't like the system and was, in my opinion, having some remorse about leaving PDX. He is a weirdly emotional guy. I think that's all water under the bridge now, and that he is happy.

This Leonard situation is all about money. He wants to be marketable like a superstar. I hope Pops realizes that and dumps him to another low marketable team, or at the very least doesn't send him to LAL.

Assuming LBJ and PG sign w/ the Lakers, I really don't see a situation where Leonard can land w/ LAL unless dealt there this summer. LeBron wont want to punt a season and wait for Kawai. That's just not going to happen. If they cant get a deal done for Leonard, they will find a deal for another, almost certainly less talented guy to form their big 3. Asking LBJ to wait a season for Kawai is nuts. The LBJ/PG duo is only incrementally better than he and Love and nowhere near close enough to stop GSW.

I still think, in the end, that Leonard will be dealt to a random team similar to the PG trade. And that LeBron will eventually realize joining the West for his remaining years and worrying about not only losing again to GSW in the finals but not even making it out of the WCF for the foreseeable future is too big a gamble to take w/ his legacy on the line. Joining LAL and getting booted in the WCF for the next 2-3 years by GSW would be a huge hit to his legacy, and leave him known for nothing but losing as a Laker. And there is a really good chance of that happening even with PG AND Leonard. GSW is just that freaking good.

50 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Spurs aren't going to trade Leonard. I think Pop would rather lose him for nothing than set the president of trading guys who ask for it. He refused to trade Aldridge last year as well.  

President?

The word you're looking for is precedent...

Archived