Putting the Training (Camp) Wheels On!

swede700

19 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Going to be tough to keep Newman on if Hill keeps looking like that. 

I don't think so.  I think there's still a spot for Newman regardless.  It's more likely that either Sherels is cut or they only carry 5 LBs (Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Brothers/Downs).  Newman's ability to play either CB or S will keep him on the roster.  

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think so.  I think there's still a spot for Newman regardless.  It's more likely that either Sherels is cut or they only carry 5 LBs (Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Brothers/Downs).  Newman's ability to play either CB or S will keep him on the roster.  

Sherels holds far more special teams value. If Alexander grabs the nickel job, and Hill continues to shine, there's no point in keeping Newman, since he doesn't play special teams. The only way I'd see it is if he becomes a backup safety. 

I still think, with Zimmer's attachment to him, there's no way that Newman isn't on the final 53.  Even if he doesn't play at all, he's going to be there as a pseudo-coach.  The likelier scenario is that Hill makes the 53, but is inactive every week.  

I think with Hill, it's easy to just think he's a UDFA so it's surprising to see him perform this well in camp. But it's important to remember that he wasn't a UDFA because of his on-field ability or measurables. 

I don't think there's any way we'll be able to sneak him onto the practice squad at this point.

36 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I think with Hill, it's easy to just think he's a UDFA so it's surprising to see him perform this well in camp. But it's important to remember that he wasn't a UDFA because of his on-field ability or measurables. 

I don't think there's any way we'll be able to sneak him onto the practice squad at this point.

And Sherels is still a top returner and special teams player. He's just more valuable than Newman if Newman is going to be nothing more than a 4-5 CB. 

Rhoades, Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, Hill, Sherels

That just makes the most sense. 

Could we see a trade? If Hughes steps into the nickel role, Holton Hill is having a great camp, Sherels is a key contributor on every special team, and Newman can play all three (separating slot and outside corner) DB positions... could we trade Mackensie Alexander? Does he have a long term role on this team? Could we move him to address... say the offensive line?

around cut time, you often see teams trade players where they have a ton of depth, for areas they don’t. 

At this point, I’m assuming we do re-sign him, but that’s also down the road and not taking into account other additions made at the corner position. 

We do know that Zim likes drafting them.

just putting it out there as a discussion topic. 

It certainly is a valid discussion topic. If your assumption is that we re-sign Waynes' I'd be fine with trading Mac.

With that being said we've invested a lot into the DB group with high-end picks. With established starters in place it would be nice to spend mid-round picks and develop them. Really like where we are at depth-wise with the DB group.

Archived