NFL Expansion Draft 2018 - Redskins

Just now, Woz said:
Just now, TKellion said:

.Stacy McGee,Jordan Reed,Josh Norman,,Vernon Davis,Ryan Kerrigan

Interesting, you kept Scandrick over Davis. Reason being solely for cap space?

Especially since you're ditching Reed.

52 minutes ago, Woz said:

Question: are we treating years of experience as "actually played" or that players on a roster are we treating being in the league as experience? If the latter, then we can only select Davis or Scandrick, not both.

I believe years since original entry to the NFL? So since they became draft eligible/declared.

Part of me is considering cheating a bit and making it: Scandrick (10 year vet), McGee (waste), Garner (2020 RFA), Hilliard (2020 RFA), and Wellman(2021 RFA).

However, I suspect that doesn't count since the latter three have next to no chance of making the final 53.

38 minutes ago, Woz said:

Eligible players (I'll assume long snappers fall into the same category as punters and kickers):

• Players whose contracts expire in 2023
    • QB Alex Smith(V)
    • WR Paul Richardson
    • OT Morgan Moses
    • DT Da'Ron Payne (*, assumes 5th year tender is activated)
  • Players whose contracts expire in 2022
    • TE Jordan Reed
    • DT Stacy McGee
    • DE Jonathan Allen (*, assumes 5th year tender is activated)
    • RB Derrius Guice(*)
    • OT Geron Christian(*)
    • S Troy Apke(*)
    • DT Tim Settle(*)
    • LB Shaun-Dion Hamilton(*)
    • CB Greg Stroman(*)
    • WR Trey Quinn(*)
  • Players whose contracts expire in 2021
    • CB Josh Norman
    • OT Trent Williams
    • LB Ryan Kerrigan
    • LB Zach Brown
    • CB Quinton Dunbar
    • WR Josh Doctson (*, assumes 5th year tender is activated)
    • LB Ryan Anderson(*)
    • CB Fabian Moreau(*)
    • RB Samaje Perine(*)
    • S Montae Nicholson(*)
    • TE Jeremy Sprinkle(*)
    • C Chase Roullier(*)
    • LB Josh Harvey-Clemons(*)
    • CB Joshua Holsey(*)
  • Players whose contracts expire in 2020
    • OG Brandon Scherff
    • TE Vernon Davis(V)
    • S D.J. Swearinger
    • RB Chris Thompson
    • CB Orlando Scandrick(V)
    • LB Mason Foster
    • S DeShazor Everett
    • DE Matthew Ioannidis(*)

To make this fairer, I'm limiting my answers to players that could conceivably make the final 53. So I removed all of the RFA and ERFA candidates.

Stacy McGee
Orlando Scandrick
Samaje Perine
DeShazor Everett
and
one of Josh Doctson, Ryan Anderson, and Jeremy Sprinkle [they're fighting to get off the list in training camp]; dark horse add would be Jordan Reed, but the previous three would need to show they belong on the 53 (yes, I'll gamble that he'll stay relatively healthy)

Stacy McGee

Orlando Scandrick

Joshua Holsey

Jeremy Sprinkle

Greg Stroman

I could be talked into sending away Josh Harvey-Clemons instead of Stroman (or Holsey, if you’re a Holsey fan). But the way I see it, the odds of them taking multiple CBs, especially young and entirely unproven CBs, from one team are pretty low. So this would be a move to minimize the number of players who get selected. 

I’d be very interested to see how it would go if they did it NHL (Vegas) style instead of classic expansion style. Where you generate a list of “protected” players instead of a list of players you’d be willing to offer up.

Like if they said you can protect 10 offensive players and 10 defensive players, and everyone else is eligible to be selected. Who are we willing to leave unprotected and gamble on losing, especially if we can’t even protect the whole starting unit? That one is the real brain teaser for me. 

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’d be very interested to see how it would go if they did it NHL (Vegas) style instead of classic expansion style. Where you generate a list of “protected” players instead of a list of players you’d be willing to offer up.

Like if they said you can protect 10 offensive players and 10 defensive players, and everyone else is eligible to be selected. Who are we willing to leave unprotected and gamble on losing, especially if we can’t even protect the whole starting unit? That one is the real brain teaser for me. 

Protect

offense

smith, Williams, Moses, Schereff, guice, Crowder, Thompson, Doctson, Reed, Richardson 

defebse

payne, Allen, ionnidis, Kerrigan, Smith, brown, Norman, Nicholson, Swearinger, Foster 

protecting them if we are basically talking for still competing this season as for if we were rebuilding it would be completely different 

14 hours ago, Woz said:

Especially since you're ditching Reed.

Some fans don’t want Reed around anymore because he doesn’t play 16 games (usually 12 to 14) but they ignore the fact that when he’s out there he’s the Redskins best offensive weapon.

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

Stacy McGee

Orlando Scandrick

Joshua Holsey

Jeremy Sprinkle

Greg Stroman

I could be talked into sending away Josh Harvey-Clemons instead of Stroman (or Holsey, if you’re a Holsey fan). But the way I see it, the odds of them taking multiple CBs, especially young and entirely unproven CBs, from one team are pretty low. So this would be a move to minimize the number of players who get selected. 

At the same time, putting half of your CB corps at risk seems like a pretty big gamble, especially when two of the three are dirt cheap rookie contracts.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Some fans don’t want Reed around anymore because he doesn’t play 16 games (usually 12 to 14) but they ignore the fact that when he’s out there he’s the Redskins best offensive weapon.

Oh, I understand offering Reed. It's a salary cap move. Yes, when healthy, he is a major weapon for the Redskins. The problem is that he's rarely healthy and his price tag is huge. While I hesitate losing Reed for nothing, I don't knock the move. As I said in my breakdown of actual players who might make the roster, he's 8th on my list right now: safe, but not that safe.

What I was wondering about @TKellion moving both Reed and Davis. That would mean the only tight ends on the roster would be: Jeremy Sprinkle, Manasseh Garner, Matt Flanagan, and Garrett Hudson. Combined those four would have two career receptions (both belonging to Sprinkle, as Garner was PS guy last year and Flanagan and Hudson are UDFAs).

Archived