2018 Expansion Draft - Patriots

Imagine a new team is being ushered into the league. Every team has to pick 5 players from its roster. Designated players will be pooled (32 teams, 5 players each for a total of 160 players) and be made available to the new team via the Expansion Draft. From the total pool (and current list of Free Agents), the new franchise will pick (or “draft”) a full 53-player roster for the 2018-19 season.

Typically, teams offer up players they’re actively looking to get rid of (declining performance, age, salary). 

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

No players set to become free agents.

No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve.

Only one player with 10 or more years of experience.

That being said... What 5 players would you offer up for the 2018-19 season? Why? 

1. QB Brian Hoyer - Call me crazy, but I like Danny Etling's chances to make the 53-man roster as Brady's backup. That being said, Hoyer wouldn't serve much of a purpose on the team. Yeah, he's good insurance, but you can get a half-decent veteran emergency starter from all over the place.

2. TE Dwayne Allen - Word is that Jacob Hollister is making strides towards becoming the TE2 for the Patriots. Allen is on a contact that isn't worth it, especially with his lack of production as a pass-catcher last season.

3. RB Jeremy Hill - Hill is a good running back, but the Patriots have a crowded room. The receiving back role is locked down by James White, and Hill doesn't provide much there. Rex Burkhead is right now the RB1, and does most of what Hill does. The big reason, though, is the Patriots' first-round draft pick in Sony Michel. Michel has the size and bulk to run over guys, and the shiftiness to evade guys in open space. That ability, and potential to be a Pro Bowl RB on a cheap deal, leaves really no room for Hill. In addition, Ralph Webb is liked by the staff as an undrafted free agent.

4. Geneo Grissom - Grissom is buried on the depth chart and has repeatedly been cut and resigned by the Patriots. He's not going to get any playing time this season barring major injuries, so getting rid of him wouldn't be that big of a deal.

5. FS David Jones - See Grissom. Jones is behind two starters and another backup on the FS depth chart alone, and doesn't offer much of an incentive to keep him.

6 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

The Patriots basically have half their team on one year deals remaining. This is fun because it's tough.

Lawrence Guy

Elandon Roberts

Brian Hoyer

Ted Karras

Dwayne Allen

@AlNFL19 Hill has one year left on his deal, so he doesn’t count. Not even sure what kind of contract Grissom and Jones are on, but I can’t imagine them being long. 

I’d go Dwayne Allen, Elandon Roberts, Brian Hoyer, Cyrus Jones, and Desmond King. Maybe Cole Croston or Nate Ebner.

Not much quality coming from NE, ha.

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

@AlNFL19 Hill has one year left on his deal, so he doesn’t count. Not even sure what kind of contract Grissom and Jones are on, but I can’t imagine them being long. 

I’d go Dwayne Allen, Elandon Roberts, Brian Hoyer, Cyrus Jones, and Desmond King. Maybe Cole Croston or Nate Ebner.

Grissom and Jones would both be free agents after 2018 so they're ineligible.

I was tempted to put Cole Croston and Nate Ebner. Croston has some position flexibility and came from Iowa so I passed on including him. Ebner was a good special teams coverage guy pre-injury so I gave him some benefit of the doubt.

Desmond King is also a good special teams player so I wanted to keep him. Cyrus Jones I would have listed but I thought he was on injured reserve basically the entire 2017 season. Either way, he might have trade value so I would explore that first to see if a team would give up a late draft pick or swap players.

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Oh shoot I checked on Spotrac but I guess I missed a couple. Your list doesn't sound bad. 

9 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I was tempted to put Cole Croston and Nate Ebner. Croston has some position flexibility and came from Iowa so I passed on including him. Ebner was a good special teams coverage guy pre-injury so I gave him some benefit of the doubt.

Desmond King is also a good special teams player so I wanted to keep him. Cyrus Jones I would have listed but I thought he was on injured reserve basically the entire 2017 season. Either way, he might have trade value so I would explore that first to see if a team would give up a late draft pick or swap players.

Isn't Desmond King a Charger?

5 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I don’t think Cole is a roster lock at this point with Wynn, Thuney, Shaq, Karras, and Andrews all occupying interior OL positions. He’s the next man up after them, but he’s expendable if you wanted to keep Cyrus for his potential or Allen because the team lacks tight end depth. 

Nate Ebner’s a good special trainer but so it Slater, Bolden, King, and Grissom. Coming off his injury, he’s expandable IYAM - at least in a scenario where we have to give some people away. 

Cyrus Jones I don’t think even makes the roster, so I added him. The Pats have Gilmore, McCourty, Jones, Rowe and Dawson as virtual locks or some (Jones, Rowe) at least have the odds on their side. Dawson is brought in as essentially the same player Cyrus was supposed to be. Then we’re hearing that JC Jackson is playing very well and taking starting reps in OTAs, so the coaches at minimum want to see more from him. I don’t see Cyrus Jones on the 53 and I question his trade value, although it’s possible he nets a late round pick or so.

We have similar lists but I’d really like to keep Guy and Karras. Karras is the top interior backup (sans Wynn) with versatility and Guy was serviceable in 2017. With Shelton and Brown coming up as FAs, it’s nice to have a proven big man signed on for 2019. 

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I think Justin King is the Pats player. I assumed his first name was Desmond after reading @Yin-Yang's post.

Whoops. Brandon King*.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Karras

This is who I think will get cut from the offensive line if Croston makes it. I like Karras but I thought he struggled last year in the limited time he played. I think he was at center when he played. Maybe I'm misremembering and giving too much credit to the Iowa/Kirk Ferentz program in regards to Croston. What sticks out about Croston is his ability to play tackle at his size and move around the line.

As for the secondary, I think Keion Crossen is a lock. JC Jackson and Ryan Lewis are also candidates to make the team via practice squad right now.

My lock for the Patriots to replace Guy at defensive end regardless of this expansion scenario is Keionta Davis. I think Davis is going to be a steal.

On 6/19/2018 at 3:01 PM, One Punch Man said:

Imagine a new team is being ushered into the league. Every team has to pick 5 players from its roster. Designated players will be pooled (32 teams, 5 players each for a total of 160 players) and be made available to the new team via the Expansion Draft. From the total pool (and current list of Free Agents), the new franchise will pick (or “draft”) a full 53-player roster for the 2018-19 season.

Typically, teams offer up players they’re actively looking to get rid of (declining performance, age, salary). 

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

That being said... What 5 players would you offer up for the 2018-19 season? Why? 

TE Dwayne Allen

LB Kyle Van Noy

SS Patrick Chung

CB Cyrus Jones

WR Julian Edelman - Dont @ me

2 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

TE Dwayne Allen

LB Kyle Van Noy

SS Patrick Chung

CB Cyrus Jones

Too bad. What the heck? There are far better moves to be made than getting rid of Edelman if the circumstances ever arose. 

6 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

But why? He has two years left on his deal, only counts about 4 mil against the cap and wouldnt cost much in dead money to release beforehand. I can understand wanting to shed him at his age and likely steep decline coming soon, but it makes zero sense in this scenario. 

Archived