2018 Draft Eligible EDGE/RUSH Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 11/13/2017 at 8:22 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

With how polarizing Josh Allen is on the offensive side of the ball as a prospect, it seems like Wyoming's defense is going massively underrated. THEY are the reason this team is currently 7-3 and Carl Granderson is the best pass rusher they have (and probably best defender). The Cowboys are 4th in Pass Defense in the nation and Granderson (Jr.) and other draft eligible teammate Youhanna Ghaifan (R-So.) are both ranked in the top 33 in the country in TFL. Granderson was very skinny coming out of high school (180's) but still had offers from Boise State and Washington State. He's packed on the pounds and he is a lean and mean looking 6'5" and 255 lbs. now. He was great last year before a knee injury also so this guy has just consistently shown a knack for making plays in the backfield. I don't know as much about Ghaifan (Granderson is the one that really popped out to me recently) but he's got solid size at 6'4" 290+

Carl Granderson is really growing on me, one of those guys I wish I kept an eye on throughout the season/got to see live more. Grant HS is a powerhouse program in Sacramento too so he shouldnt have been that under the radar. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Carl Granderson is really growing on me, one of those guys I wish I kept an eye on throughout the season/got to see live more. Grant HS is a powerhouse program in Sacramento too so he shouldnt have been that under the radar. 

He wasn't exactly under the radar, I just think teams were worried how his 6'6" 185 lbs. frame was going to translate. As I said, he had offers from Boise and Wazzu also. Granderson has done a superb job adding weight and has become a terror in the MWC.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished up on Josh Sweat from Florida State because I've been interested in his story. He's not sacking anyone through sheer physical ability and is kind of stiff when attacking the edge. But, man if you find a more relentless edge-setting defender I'd love to see it. He kind of reminds of the Pats defensive ends from Arkansas, keeping everything in front of him - always tracking where the football is. There's a bit of Adrian Clayborn about his game, I don't know what that's worth - perhaps a day two pick. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats taking a swing there based on the kind of traits they've looked for at that position. 

37 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Just finished up on Josh Sweat from Florida State because I've been interested in his story. He's not sacking anyone through sheer physical ability and is kind of stiff when attacking the edge. But, man if you find a more relentless edge-setting defender I'd love to see it. He kind of reminds of the Pats defensive ends from Arkansas, keeping everything in front of him - always tracking where the football is. There's a bit of Adrian Clayborn about his game, I don't know what that's worth - perhaps a day two pick. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats taking a swing there based on the kind of traits they've looked for at that position. 

I've heard his knee will likely keep him on the board until day 3. Though with both Clemson boys staying every EDGE just received a nice bump up draft boards. Davenport and Carter might be 1st rounders now.

10 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Someone is going to take a chance on Lorenzo Carter early and make him a full-time pass-rusher. Physically, this kid has absolutely everything.

I like him more than his teammate Roquan Smith. Why isn't he getting more buzz? He has a great body, has production, athleticism, and played well against good competition.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I like him more than his teammate Roquan Smith. Why isn't he getting more buzz? He has a great body, has production, athleticism, and played well against good competition.

Yeah it’s weird, I have a feeling the combine should see to that.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:46 PM, Fureys49ers said:

Curious as to what people make of the lack of production from both Key and Landry? Haven't watched much of any of their games this year and purely box score scouting but can anyone who's watched them play touch on this? I know Key took some time off for personal reasons and needed some time to get back into shape to start the season but I thought these two were supposed to be tears off the edge. 

Landry has been hurt but there’s no good excuse for Key. The more I watch him, the more I think he’s a late 1st/2nd round developmental type player. Key put on some bad weight over a tulmultuous offsaeason.

I still think Landry is the second best pure pass rusher in this draft after Chubb. He has good burst off the line and incredibly agility and bend. There are concerns about his ability to play every down early on, and he’s definitely a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 U SAM only.

40 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Landry has been hurt but there’s no good excuse for Key. The more I watch him, the more I think he’s a late 1st/2nd round developmental type player. Key put on some bad weight over a tulmultuous offsaeason.

I still think Landry is the second best pure pass rusher in this draft after Chubb. He has good burst off the line and incredibly agility and bend. There are concerns about his ability to play every down early on, and he’s definitely a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 U SAM only.

May be the most overrated prospect in this draft IMO ( Landry). And I respectfully disagree with him being the second best pure pass rusher, he uses the same move every time, all he does is try to beat you with speed and dip his shoulders around the corner thats it. And let's not talk about how unphysical he is in the run game. 

As far as Key, I was close to classifying him as the same type of guy until I saw him in person against Alabama this season. I specifically watched him and I came away thoroughly impressed. He set the edge in the run game but most impressive was his pass rush arsenal. He had a plan, he worked his moves and actually showed his potential in a big game.

I didn’t watch a lot of Landry this year, but I did watch a metric ton of him in 2016. Roderick Johnson made him look like a cuck all game long. He’s terrible against the run and as @MSURacerDT55 said, all he does is the rip and dip move. I honestly think his best bet might be to move to OLB. I don’t see him winning against NFL OTs. He’s very talented, but hasn’t developed a lick in college and lacks the bulk to play with his hand in the dirt. A Barkevious Mingo comparison would not be an oversimplification. He is awesome on interior stunts and games though. He has tremendous speed and acceleration. Teams that run a lot of exotic blitzes will like him, but I don’t except expect him to win in a traditional sense. 

Arden Key is even worse. He looks disinterested out there. Plus there are rumblings he’s a head case and a drugged up idiot off the field. I also hate LSUs defensive scheme they use with their DEs. They basically have no responsibility in the run game and are used purely to spill everything back inside with rip moves. He doesn’t use his hands consistently and doesn’t turn speed into power. He’s basically Randy Gregory, but a significantly less interested run defender. I love his upside, but I hate the way he plays. Combine it with some major apparent character red flags and you have yourself a future bust.

This pass rusher class kind of sucks if you’re looking for a stud athlete that is also a good football player. It seems like it’s one or the other with this class. 

On 12/27/2017 at 3:48 PM, incognito_man said:

So watched 3 cut-ups of Marcus Davenport (TAMU, North Tx, Tx State) and came away liking him more than all the other edge guys not named Chubb. He's a bit of a bull in a china shop and needs to refine his footwork and learn his body a bit yet. As my grandpa would say: "he's all elbows and assholes" out there (i.e. some wasted movement). But he plays with violence, effort and most of the time good awareness. His punch is significant, he can use his length to keep his pads clean already and he turns speed into power effortlessly. His body control shows flashes, his COD skills show room for refinement IMO. He's long everywhere and doesn't whiff or look too stiff if tracking a ball carrier. He also doesn't look lost playing in space when he did drop into coverage a few times.

I suspect he will test fairly well, he looks explosive on tape. His COD drills may not be pretty, but I bet he tops 35" in his vert, maybe closes-in on 40" and excels in the broad jump as well.

I feel like he's going to jump a lot of the more refined guys in the off-season, after the combine I bet his stock jumps from what folks think right now. I bet he doesn't make it out of the top 10 ultimately...

Just watched some myself....the overall impression I got was (outside of I need to see how he does in the senior bowl) similar to yours, though I swear, I felt like he was a little slow off the  snap sometimes (from a timing perspective, not a lack of explosion). Maybe he was just tired, I don't know. Also, I think he'll test well in some regards, but in others, he's not going to be impressive. Specifically, I'll be curious to see where his 3 cone time comes in because unlike you, I felt like he was a little stiff and didn't always move well depending on which way he was going. I almost felt like he was like the defensive version of Vernon Davis...maybe not that stiff, but kind of similar. But you're right about his punch...dear god, that's some violence. Felt like he was going to knock off heads. But man, he needs a lot of work in the technique department....I don't think he has any real pass rushing "skill". It's basically here I am, if you can stop me, okay. No plans or adjustments  or anything like that. 

Archived