2018 Expansion Draft - Steelers

One Punch Man

11 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Bud Dupree -  Sucks, set to be drastically overpaid in 2019

I struggled with this one. In one hand I couldn't care less if he wasn't here, but at the same time one less OLB on this team would kinda suck. 

13 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

All 5 players you listed are on the last years of their contracts, which excludes them by the rules in being selected. 

Must not be as easy as you say ?

Also - the Panthers and Jags did the same format, only teams selected 6 players instead of 5 to offer into the draft. So at least the last 3 expansion drafts were done this way.

I didn't look up the contract years of those particular players but the point is players of that caliber that are under contract could be offered. And I am positive that the Jags/Panthers draft had teams PROTECT players. Not offer. Which in the end is the same depending on the numbers for each. 

*It would appear that you'd have to go back to the '76 Draft to where teams protected players (30). Man I'm old. 

16 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I didn't look up the contract years of those particular players but the point is players of that caliber that are under contract could be offered

I just don't think it's that easy as you say. Eliminate good players, rookies, and guys whose contracts are expiring and you don't have a super long list. It leaves a list of guys like Davis, Burns, dirty red, hargrave, Haden, Sutton, McDonald,  Dupree, nix, Conner, and Dobbs. I don't think it's quite the list you think it is...

9 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

According to the last expansion draft for the 2001 season, teams could not select players that would be FAs for the 2002 season -- so no one was allowed in the pool that had 1 year left on their contract. 

It wouldn't make much sense to allow 1 year guys into the draft. That would truly suck for the expansion team. 

Fair enough.    Thought maybe those players could be extended or something.

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I just don't think it's that easy as you say. Eliminate good players, rookies, and guys whose contracts are expiring and you don't have a super long list. It leaves a list of guys like Davis, Burns, dirty red, hargrave, Haden, Sutton, McDonald,  Dupree, nix, Conner, and Dobbs. I don't think it's quite the list you think it is...

Agree to disagree I guess. Using this link showing players under contract for at least 2 years I'd offer...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/contracts/

Some guy named Jake Rogers

Dobbs (Please please please please)

Nix (Not needed with Samuels)

McDonald (Can't stay healthy)

Then you could make a case for Red (to slow for an NFL ILB?), Hargrave (doesn't fit the scheme), Dupree (bust?), B. Allen (is the potential worth protecting?). It doesn't appear losing any of these guys would really affect the team. And if I were an expansion team, prolly the only one I'd be interested in is Hargrave. He's in is prime, low cost and could really flourish in the right system. 

9 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I struggled with this one. In one hand I couldn't care less if he wasn't here, but at the same time one less OLB on this team would kinda suck. 

I respect your standpoint, but you had Vince Williams on your list, and you could say the same thing about ILB, given he, sadly, may be the best ILB we have on the roster...and IMO, is a better ILB than Bud Dupree is an OLB...but thats obviously up for debate.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I respect your standpoint, but you had Vince Williams on your list, and you could say the same thing about ILB, given he, sadly, may be the best ILB we have on the roster...and IMO, is a better ILB than Bud Dupree is an OLB...but thats obviously up for debate.

Yup. It basically came down to those two guys for my last spot. I just trust that Red isn't much of a change from Vince, that Bostic will be a decent player if healthy, and that we will be in sub packages more and more putting safeties in a ILB type position. I feel the role of that position is deeper In fucntion and not name, than OLB is  

But overall, I agree with you. Just a personal preference. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

LT Walton

LJ Fort

Landry Jones

Justin Hunter

LeVeon Bell

Couldnt do LeVeon since he is on the franchise tag, and not sure why you'd want to.    I mean, I kinda do....but Id rather trade him and get something for him. 

6 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

LT Walton

LJ Fort

Landry Jones

Justin Hunter

LeVeon Bell

The surprising 0-5 B|

All 5 guys are on the last years of their deals. Wouldnt be eligible for the draft. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

There was nothing mentioned about eligible. Said what 5 would you let go. 

I mean....directly from the post that brought this all on:

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

No players set to become free agents.

No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve.

Only one player with 10 or more years of experience.

Archived