2018 Draft Eligible CB Thread

CalhounLambeau

11 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Is McFadden still considered a first rounder?  I think he has been surpassed by Denzel Ward, Josh Jackson, Carlton Davis, and maybe Isaiah Oliver + a couple others.

11 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Mid 2nd. He hasn't looked great this year. I have Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, Isaiah Oliver and Carlton Davis ahead of him

And the kid from Ole MIss.

13 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I wasn't a big McFadden fan coming into the season, but I am now and apparently others have cooled on him. That said, I'm probably going to end up liking him more than at least Davis and Oliver. I see a well built corner built to play zone at a high level and man in a pinch.

My favorite corner in this class is Denzel Ward. He'll probably end up being a top 5-10 player for me, at least.

Ward is going to test crazy good at the combine too.  He's easily been the best DB at OSU this year.

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Ward is going to test crazy good at the combine too.  He's easily been the best DB at OSU this year.

That 40 is going to be nuts, I remember when we recruited him, I wanted to use him on Offense because of his speed. He is not going to be unscathed though because his height will be an issue with some teams

6 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

I still think it's a shame nobody is talking about the LSU defensive backs. There is a reason this team was one of the best pass defense units this year despite missing it's best pass rusher in four games and not having him entirely healthy at any point.

Give us a run down. 

Just now, Jlash said:

Give us a run down. 

Draft Eligible Guys:

-Kevin Toliver II

• 6'3" corner with incredibly fluid hips and quick feet for a big man. Does a nice job staying square at the line but still a bit inexperienced overall and needs to work on his press technique. All the tools to be an elite CB.

-Donte' Jackson

• Regarded as the fastest man in college football (part of the SEC Champ 4x100 Relay team that placed 6th nationally) with a 10.22 personal-best 100 meter dash. Undersized but used literally all over the field by LSU, primarily playing the nickel. Extremely confident and takes chances due to his speed to generally make-up for miscues, but does ultimately leave him prone to mistakes.

-John Battle

• Probably the least talked about of the group with the two junior CB's (listed above) and a pair of freshman CB's playing well also, but is a solid player in his own right. One of the defensive captains and moves solid for his size. Should find a role as a backup in the league.

21 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I watched an interview by what I assume is Ohio State's Special Teams coach and he said between Lattimore, Conley, and Ward, the latter was the fastest. He has amazing recovery speed and is one of the better tacklers and hitters I've seen so far in this class. As a Raiders fan, he's at the top of my board of guys I think have a chance to make it to the mid first.

8 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Haven't seen him at all this year, but I was under the impression that Toliver has underwhelmed after being pretty highly regarded before the season.  Iman Marshall as well.

I thought Toliver has played pretty well all year. He struggled with the wet grass in the first half against 'Bama and only saw about half the snaps in that game, but I thought in the 4th quarter he played very well. Against A&M last week, the guy was glue. Toliver stuck right with Christian Kirk like it was nothing. Impressive for a man of his size.

13 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

I've had Kevin Toliver as my top ranked CB most of the year just based on his size and upside, but he's closer to 6'1" than 6'3".

He is right up there with me. I love the sikly smoothness of Denzel Ward and the fact he's willing to tackle and get physical despite his size. Reminds me a lot of Janoris Jenkins in his overall game. But Toliver's potential as a press corner is as high as Patrick Peterson (fittingly, another LSU guy).

MJ Stewart from North Carolina is a starting NFL cornerback. I expect him to go somewhere in the early-mid 2nd round. Probably won't have a good combine speed-wise, but he's big, strong, physical, and can play press man coverage. Sticky and pesky. Occasionally will be beat over the top, but his guy is never able to get anything easy. At the very least, he'd be a stud in nickel packages because of his build and willingness to tackle.

McFadden was never really as good as his preseason hype. I don't think he's regressed this year...I think this is who he's always been. He's a great athlete that has questionable technique which gives the WR/QB too much space to operate within. If he cleans this up, he'd be a top 10 pick. Given the technique issues, I think he goes mid 2nd round...but teams may overvalue his athleticism and take him in the late 1st due to positional importance and combine numbers.

Denzel Ward is the top CB for my money. He's also got some technique issues, but he's a tough dude that can absolutely fly. Recovery speed for days. Will occasionally get mossed, but he's in position to make the play 95% of the time. He was a standout slot man even last year at OSU with all the DB talent they had. He isn't Patrick Peterson top 10 material, but he's every bit as good as the cornerbacks from last year 'cept Marcus Lattimore. Middle of the 1st round.

I know he's only a nickel back, but I like Tony Brown from Alabama. He's tough as hell and makes a lot of plays for them working in the slot. He's a later round guy, but at the very least he'll be a fiend on special teams. I don't know if he's athletic enough to cover outside guys (probably isn't), but he has a role on an NFL team.

My two favorite CBs in this draft as of right now are Joshua Jackson from Iowa (elite man coverage skills, technique, and is a ballhawk as well to go along with a very long frame) and Denzel Ward, who if he was 6-0 would be a Top 10 Lock.

Would be nice if Greg Stroman got a Senior Bowl Invite. Virginia Tech CB who was used on offense and defense his first two years. 3 Punt Return TD's the last two years, and according to PFF, he's been targeted 41 times this year and allowed just nine receptions. Would like to see him in 1-on-1's at the Senior Bowl because he's more than earned his stripes in the return game. Great athlete though who has only focused on defense the last two years.

Archived