2018 Draft Eligible CB Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Denzel Ward is the top CB for my money. He's also got some technique issues

Not saying he is flawless, but his technique is impeccable. He carries the drill to the field, please explain those" technique issues". Also you are correct about his height deficiencies but I guarantee he will be in the right position on those throws.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not saying he is flawless, but his technique is impeccable. He carries the drill to the field, please explain those" technique issues". Also you are correct about his height deficiencies but I guarantee he will be in the right position on those throws.

I would have to agree here. Ward does a superb job of staying square at the line when in man coverage. Ohio State mixes in some Cover 4 as well and Ward does a fantastic job of pressing his receiver to the outside. He needs to clean up his hands on the press a little but overall, Ward possesses the key fundamentals you look for in the position.

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Press man. Gives up inside release too easily. Plays high which hurts his ability to break on comeback/curl routes. He's not terrible in those areas, but he does need to improve upon those areas if he's going to be considered an elite corner in the NFL. He does run stride for stride with vertical routes, offering zero chance of QB success. It's the short game where he needs some refinement.

23 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

1. Jaire Alexander

2. Josh Jackson

3. Isaiah Oliver

4. Calrton Davis

5. Tarvarus McFadden

6. Kevin Toliver

7. Denzel Ward

Boy I don't think Jaire Alexander is a 1st rounder.

And Carlton Davis is supremely overrated IMO. I think he's a mid round guy.

8 hours ago, Jlash said:

So which is it fellas?

I have watched every OSU game this year except 1 living in Ohio. I like Ward and watched him play at Nordonia in High School. I watch him and Jerome Baker (coached against him) exclusively when OSU is on defense and I see him giving up inside position all the time. He does a great job of hawking the ball out when the QB puts it on the WR on a slant/in, but it doesn't change the fact that he gives up inside position too often. He's done it for 2 years now.

I'm not crapping on the dude at all. He's the top CB this year IMO, but this is the minor fixable flaw I see in his otherwise pretty damn good body of work. It's also tough to tell what kind of man coverage OSU is employing on a snap to snap basis. Cover 1 you want to funnel your WR's inside to the FS and the ILB's. In cover 2 man you want to push the WR's outside to the safeties over the top. So maybe he was intentionally allowing an inside release to get help there...tough to tell to be honest.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Boy I don't think Jaire Alexander is a 1st rounder.

And Carlton Davis is supremely overrated IMO. I think he's a mid round guy.

Ya I'm going to drop Carlton. But with regards to Jaire, go watch his film vs Clemson 2016. Picked off Watson twice. Ever since that game I've loved him. Best man corner in this draft at least.

15 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Ya I'm going to drop Carlton. But with regards to Jaire, go watch his film vs Clemson 2016. Picked off Watson twice. Ever since that game I've loved him. Best man corner in this draft at least.

Jaire isn't bad, but he's no superstar. He's a 2nd round pick to me. I like how physical he is in the press game. He's a starting outside corner, but I'm not calling him CB #1. I like that he plays about 50/50 man and zone. Press man and off man. They do a lot of things with him and he has tape showing he can sit in the flat, man turn, zone turn, press, and play off. Has adequate size and above average athleticism. Not a true burner, but does have elite quicks. Needs to do a better job fighting the ball at the catch point.

On 12/2/2017 at 8:51 AM, Jlash said:

So which is it fellas?

Well, if you read what I said, I was discussing when OSU plays Cover 4, he does an excellent job of pressing his receiver to the sideline, which is his job when in that defense. I also went on to say that when in press man, that he needs to clean up his hand usage, so both can be true. Different calls lead to different responsibilities. 

12 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Well, if you read what I said, I was discussing when OSU plays Cover 4, he does an excellent job of pressing his receiver to the sideline, which is his job when in that defense. I also went on to say that when in press man, that he needs to clean up his hand usage, so both can be true. Different calls lead to different responsibilities. 

When a team plays cover 4 (which is essentially prevent, isn't it?) are the CB's pressing at all? Aren't all 4 players on the back end dropping into deep zones? Maybe I'm just misreading what you're saying. 

27 minutes ago, Jlash said:

When a team plays cover 4 (which is essentially prevent, isn't it?) are the CB's pressing at all? Aren't all 4 players on the back end dropping into deep zones? Maybe I'm just misreading what you're saying. 

Correct, quarters coverage, now some teams show it differently, some teams play off, some teams show press.

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Correct, quarters coverage, now some teams show it differently, some teams play off, some teams show press.

OSU (and Bama does this most of the time for their Cover 4/Quarters coverage) doesn't back the corners off (the majority of the time). They show the same coverage presnap. It's not hand usage that pushes the receiver to the boundary in these scenarios, it's body position. Ward does a nice job of at the snap, flipping his hips, most of the time getting on the receivers inside foot when doing so, getting his eyes on the QB, and dropping back fluidly. This forces most receivers to the boundary.

Archived