2018 Expansion Draft - Eagles

One Punch Man

Imagine a new team is being ushered into the league. Every team has to pick 5 players from its roster. Designated players will be pooled (32 teams, 5 players each for a total of 160 players) and be made available to the new team via the Expansion Draft. From the total pool (and current list of Free Agents), the new franchise will pick (or “draft”) a full 53-player roster for the 2018-19 season.

Typically, teams offer up players they’re actively looking to get rid of (declining performance, age, salary). 

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

No players set to become free agents.

No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve.

Only one player with 10 or more years of experience.

That being said... What 5 players would you offer up for the 2018-19 season? Why? 

Rodney McLeod
Tim Jernigan*
Jason Peters

The only ones that immediately come to mind. We'd have to see where the rest of the team is at after the end of the season. Assuming this is after the end of this season.

Nick Foles - $13 mil this year, $20 mil option next year, Back-up QB
Timmy Jernigan - $5 mil this year, $13 mil next year - Saves us $6Mil in dead cap to cut him

I'm not sure if these are against the rules because they weren't full season IR but:
Darren Sproles - 35 y/o RB coming off a torn ACL and broken arm
Donnel Pumphrey - 5'9" 176lb RB that hasn't been good catching the ball or working in space

Gun to my head I'd probably put McLeod on the list because of the salary cap bubbly that Howie has built but if not I'd put another player like Taylor Hart or Shelton Gibson who is a developmental player who hasn't developed.

Pump can't be included given the parameters set forth by the OP of can't spent the previous season on IR.

Assuming this is post 2018, Nick Foles and Pumphrey are rounding out my list. Sproles is on a 1 year deal anyways. IIRC

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

Pump can't be included given the parameters set forth by the OP of can't spent the previous season on IR.

Assuming this is post 2018, Nick Foles and Pumphrey are rounding out my list. Sproles is on a 1 year deal anyways. IIRC

Seumalo

40 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Nick Foles - $13 mil this year, $20 mil option next year, Back-up QB

Why get rid of him seeing as how valuable he was last year and him not costing us anything next year if we don't pick up his option?

41 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Timmy Jernigan - $5 mil this year, $13 mil next year - Saves us $6Mil in dead cap to cut him

Again... why get rid of him?

His contract was reworked after his non football injury, so that every year of his contract after this one is an option year and he doesn't cost us anything to cut.

42 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Darren Sproles - 35 y/o RB coming off a torn ACL and broken arm

Why get rid of him? He's looking great in his recovery and he can still contribute in the passing game and on special teams.

Plus, he doesn't qualify anyways as he's a free agent next year.

44 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Donnel Pumphrey - 5'9" 176lb RB that hasn't been good catching the ball or working in space

Not sure where you're getting this. Eagles praised him last offseason for how natural he looked catching the ball.

By your logic you would've been putting up Agholor for the expansion draft after his rookie year.

Pumphrey is a disappointment so far, but he costs hardly anything and who has only had his rookie off-season where we knew he needed to get stronger and was hampered by a hamstring injury. It's worth seeing what he can show this training camp.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Rodney McLeod

He makes the most sense contract wise, but who replaces him? 

If our intention is to repeat this year, then I don't understand moving on from him at this point in the off-season (free agency and the draft are long gone).

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Jason Peters

Again, are we trying to repeat? If Peters can stay healthy he's still better than Vaitai.

We were very fortunate that after Peters went down our line stayed healthy and intact for pretty much the rest of the way.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Again, are we trying to repeat? If Peters can stay healthy he's still better than Vaitai.

You're misunderstanding me. Given that the regular NFL Draft has come and gone, it makes no sense for an expansion team to be entering the league for the 2018 season. It makes no sense. So I'm with the understanding that this is the following season.

Edit seems I'm mistaken. It's moronic to call it the "2018-2019" season. It's the 2018 season. Seeing 2019 threw me off. It makes equally less sense to do this exercise at this point in time given the regular off-season has already passed.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

You're misunderstanding me. Given that the regular NFL Draft has come and gone, it makes no sense for an expansion team to be entering the league for the 2018 season. It makes no sense. So I'm with the understanding that this is the following season.

Edit seems I'm mistaken. It's moronic to call it the "2018-2019" season. It's the 2018 season. Seeing 2019 threw me off. It makes equally less sense to do this exercise at this point in time given the regular off-season has already passed.

Agreed. This would've been a fun exercise earlier in the off-season, but not now.

If you ask me this now you are getting UDFAs or if you're "lucky" maybe guys like Isaac Seumalo, Chris Maragos, Joe Callahan, Matt Jones, etc..... lol

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Danger said:

He said entire year....Pump got IR'd AFTER week 1. Its skirting the rules a bit because he didn't play a single snap but it wasn't the entire year...

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

By your logic you would've been putting up Agholor for the expansion draft after his rookie year.

Pumphrey is a disappointment so far, but he costs hardly anything and who has only had his rookie off-season where we knew he needed to get stronger and was hampered by a hamstring injury. It's worth seeing what he can show this training camp.

Listen man, I made a list according to the rules. The majority of my list was back-up players, players near the end of their career, or players who I don't believe will perform in the future for whatever reason. I also tried not to cheat and pick guys #48-53 on the roster who are either late round picks or veteran camp bodies to make the list more interesting.

16 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

If you ask me this now you are getting UDFAs or if you're "lucky" maybe guys like Isaac Seumalo, Chris Maragos, Joe Callahan, Matt Jones, etc..... lol

^^^ @Hockey5djh

Seumalo....By your logic you would've been putting up Agholor for the expansion draft after his rookie year. :ph34r:

Archived