2018 Expansion Draft - Bears

One Punch Man

Imagine a new team is being ushered into the league. Every team has to pick 5 players from its roster. Designated players will be pooled (32 teams, 5 players each for a total of 160 players) and be made available to the new team via the Expansion Draft. From the total pool (and current list of Free Agents), the new franchise will pick (or “draft”) a full 53-player roster for the 2018-19 season.

Typically, teams offer up players they’re actively looking to get rid of (declining performance, age, salary). 

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

No players set to become free agents.

No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve.

Only one player with 10 or more years of experience.

That being said... What 5 players would you offer up for the 2018-19 season? Why? 

12 minutes ago, One Punch Man said:

Imagine a new team is being ushered into the league. Every team has to pick 5 players from its roster. Designated players will be pooled (32 teams, 5 players each for a total of 160 players) and be made available to the new team via the Expansion Draft. From the total pool (and current list of Free Agents), the new franchise will pick (or “draft”) a full 53-player roster for the 2018-19 season.

Typically, teams offer up players they’re actively looking to get rid of (declining performance, age, salary). 

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

No players set to become free agents.

No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve.

Only one player with 10 or more years of experience.

That being said... What 5 players would you offer up for the 2018-19 season? Why? 

i assume you mean from 53 man roster which isn't set yet or contracted players or it would be a pointless exercise.  You would get all players who won't make team any way.

What were rules with Panthers and Jags?  They had something like this and were able to make ready made competitive teams right away.  They then changed rules so expansion teams would suck again.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

i assume you mean from 53 man roster which isn't set yet or contracted players or it would be a pointless exercise.  You would get all players who won't make team any way.

What were rules with Panthers and Jags?  They had something like this and were able to make ready made competitive teams right away.  They then changed rules so expansion teams would suck again.

Yeah, kind of early to be doing this since the 53s aren’t set for every team. So from your projected 53. 

Way you are doing it isn't going to get results you are looking for since no one is working from same list.  

You have roughly 90 guys on squads right now:

Going to be 53 man teams so 37 are getting cut not including practice squad.  

So if you were going to do it now I would say teams can protect 43 guys of current roster exposing rest to draft.

1)No kickers or punters.

2) When someone selects one of your guys you can add another protected player that can't be drafted.  

3) All salary cap ramifications are assumed by expansion team.

Bears 43 protected in no particular order:

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/players-roster/

Receivers are the ones I have no idea about beyond top 3.  Going to be an interesting competition in camp with a new staff bending ear of GM on guys they like/don't like.  

1. Trubisky

2. C. Daniel

3. Howard

4. Cohen

5. Cunningham

6. Robinson 

7. Gabriel

8. Miller

9. Wims

10. White

11. Gentry

12. Fowler

13. Burton

14. Shaheen 

15. Sims

16. Leno

17. Daniels

18. Whitehair

19. Long

20. Massie

21. Kush

22. Sowell

23. Morgan

24. Hicks

25. Goldman

26. Bullard

27. Robertson-Harris

28. Nichols

29. Floyd

30. Lynch 

31. Acho

32. Danny Trevathan

33. Roquan Smith

34. Nick Kwiatkoski

35. Joel Iyiegbuniwe

36. Kyle Fuller

37. Prince Amukamara

38. Bryce Callahan

39 Cre'Von LeBlanc

40. Adrian Amos

41. Eddie Jackson

42. DeAndre Houston-Carson

43. Deon Bush

I really like the list @dll2000 posted as my top 43 for now, just have a few changes for me personally -

Sims out - Fitts in.

Bush out - Toliver in.

White out - Bray in

Sims sucks, and unless he is taking over FB for Burton he has no role on this team.

Fitts might be a solid prospect in a few years.

Bush is a STer with no starter qualities. Toliver at least has starter potential, though his attitude sucks.

White is a physical specimen but injured too easily, Gentry can fill the low depth role and maybe develop into a rotational talent

I would want Bray to stay with the team, even if on IR, to help with the system implementation and calls - obviously not to play)

So my 5 would be offering Sims, White, Bush, Bellamy, and Michael Burton

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I really like the list @dll2000 posted as my top 43 for now, just have a few changes for me personally -

Sims out - Fitts in.

Bush out - Toliver in.

White out - Bray in

Sims sucks, and unless he is taking over FB for Burton he has no role on this team.

Fitts might be a solid prospect in a few years.

Bush is a STer with no starter qualities. Toliver at least has starter potential, though his attitude sucks.

White is a physical specimen but injured too easily, Gentry can fill the low depth role and maybe develop into a rotational talent

I would want Bray to stay with the team, even if on IR, to help with the system implementation and calls - obviously not to play)

So my 5 would be offering Sims, White, Bush, Bellamy, and Michael Burton

I have no problem with any of that really.  I wouldn't fight you on it.

Archived