2018 Expansion Draft - Packers

One Punch Man

Imagine a new team is being ushered into the league. Every team has to pick 5 players from its roster. Designated players will be pooled (32 teams, 5 players each for a total of 160 players) and be made available to the new team via the Expansion Draft. From the total pool (and current list of Free Agents), the new franchise will pick (or “draft”) a full 53-player roster for the 2018-19 season.

Typically, teams offer up players they’re actively looking to get rid of (declining performance, age, salary). 

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

No players set to become free agents.

No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve.

Only one player with 10 or more years of experience.

That being said... What 5 players would you offer up for the 2018-19 season? Why? 

Fackrell

Hundley

Mays

Davis

Kendricks

The expansion team would be hot garbage...The rosters are are too big. They may get lucky if a few teams were shedding salary but that would only be a stop gap at best. They would have 0 access to young talent other than the draft and they better hit on basically every pick. 

The Jags lucked out with Brunell and were competitive in 3 years. Each team made 6 players available and there were less teams. 

I thought back in the day each team could protect 5-10 players and if one was taken, protect another bunch. After a couple-few players were taken they could protect the rest or leave anyone available if they wanted to to hopefully get cap relief from another player taken. 

Yeah, I think it’d be more interesting to protect up to 5-10 players, and the expansion team is allowed to pick no more than 4 (or something) from any one team.  Similar to hockey expansion, just not sure how it’d scale relative to roster size differences and number of teams in the NFL vs. the NHL.

In this scenario, it’d be interesting to see who posters in this forum would elect to protect.  Easy picking five garbage players to make available - harder to select which ones to protect, especially at the end, where you start splitting hairs to make the final cut.

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Yeah, I think it’d be more interesting to protect up to 5-10 players, and the expansion team is allowed to pick no more than 4 (or something) from any one team.  Similar to hockey expansion, just not sure how it’d scale relative to roster size differences and number of teams in the NFL vs. the NHL.

In this scenario, it’d be interesting to see who posters in this forum would elect to protect.  Easy picking five garbage players to make available - harder to select which ones to protect, especially at the end, where you start splitting hairs to make the final cut.

I'm going to assume this year's draft picks wouldn't count/be eligible.

5: Rodgers, Bakhtiari, Adams, K. Clark, Daniels

10: SAA, Clinton-Dix, Perry, Matthews, King, Crosby 

10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

5: AR12, Bak, CM3, Clark, Adams

10: Daniels, Linsley, Taylor, Perry, HHCD

Tough one as i don't feel like we had 10 really good players last year.  Part of me wanted to leave Perry and HHCD off the list (because of last years season) in favor of sophomores King and Jones but I like the chances better that the 2 young former pro bowlers will rebound more so than the sophomores developing into pro bowl caliber players. 

I put Clark in the top 5 over Daniels not because I feel he's a better player but because of his age.  

19 hours ago, One Punch Man said:

Imagine a new team is being ushered into the league. Every team has to pick 5 players from its roster. Designated players will be pooled (32 teams, 5 players each for a total of 160 players) and be made available to the new team via the Expansion Draft. From the total pool (and current list of Free Agents), the new franchise will pick (or “draft”) a full 53-player roster for the 2018-19 season.

Typically, teams offer up players they’re actively looking to get rid of (declining performance, age, salary). 

Designation Rules:

No kickers and punters.

No players set to become free agents.

No players who just spent an entire year on injured reserve.

Only one player with 10 or more years of experience.

That being said... What 5 players would you offer up for the 2018-19 season? Why? 

5 players from our current roster or 5 from a projected 53?

12 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Rodgers, Perry, Bahk, Adams, Daniels

If 10 add:

HHCD, King, Martinez, CMIII, Clark

If teams could only protect 5 players, the expansion team would be the best team in the NFL in their first season.  For it to be remotely fair for teams that already exist, they'd have to be able to protect 30 players. 

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If teams could only protect 5 players, the expansion team would be the best team in the NFL in their first season.  For it to be remotely fair for teams that already exist, they'd have to be able to protect 30 players. 

30 would create a winless type team. I'd say 15 is a fair number.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

30 would create a winless type team. I'd say 15 is a fair number.

Doubtful.  You're talking about a team being able to create a roster using 44% of every team's roster.  That's 32 players that are the 31st best player on a different team, which makes 32 teams that much worse.  They also get the first pick in each round. 

If you only allowed protecting 15 players, that's 32 players that are the 16th best player on a team.  That would probably give the team Aaron Jones, Bryan Bulaga, Josh Jones, Jake Ryan and Deshone Kizer from the Packers alone. 

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Doubtful.  You're talking about a team being able to create a roster using 44% of every team's roster.  That's 32 players that are the 31st best player on a different team, which makes 32 teams that much worse.  They also get the first pick in each round. 

If you only allowed protecting 15 players, that's 32 players that are the 16th best player on a team.  That would probably give the team Aaron Jones, Bryan Bulaga, Josh Jones, Jake Ryan and Deshone Kizer from the Packers alone. 

Yeah that's the kind of players that go in expansion drafts. Who wants to buy tickets and put on national TV a team full of Geronimo Allison and Kyler Fackrells?

Archived