2018 Draft Eligible Safety Thread

CalhounLambeau

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Are the Bama safeties the best in the class? 

I'm super high on Fitzpatrick but I think the consensus is Derwin James is the top guy. I haven't had a chance to watch FSU this season yet so I don't know if he's living up to that billing.

33 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm super high on Fitzpatrick but I think the consensus is Derwin James is the top guy. I haven't had a chance to watch FSU this season yet so I don't know if he's living up to that billing.

What are some of the strengths/weaknesses of the top guys? There hasn't been any discussion in this thread so I thought I'd try and liven it up.

Well Fitzpatrick may not even end up a safety in the NFL but I'm a fan for a few reasons. He's ultra versatile, having success pretty much everywhere in the defensive backfield and could do the same at the next level. He's a really good athlete (reported 4.39-though that seems a little too fast) in a strong, compact body. He's aggressive and more than willing to play the run and he's a big time playmaker. He absolutely locked up Juju Smith-Schuster in week one last year spending basically the whole game on him so the coverage skills are clearly there. Comes off as a high IQ guy to me, doesn't make many mistakes and you have to be smart to be able to succeed at such a high level at numerous positions. Outside of him being a hair short, and not being an elite athlete I don't really have any complaints. He's improved his ball skills quite a bit over the past few years, he takes better angles and if he's at safety he won't be in press which primarily where he has struggled in the past.

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Well Fitzpatrick may not even end up a safety in the NFL but I'm a fan for a few reasons. He's ultra versatile, having success pretty much everywhere in the defensive backfield and could do the same at the next level. He's a really good athlete (reported 4.39-though that seems a little too fast) in a strong, compact body. He's aggressive and more than willing to play the run and he's a big time playmaker. He absolutely locked up Juju Smith-Schuster in week one last year spending basically the whole game on him so the coverage skills are clearly there. Comes off as a high IQ guy to me, doesn't make many mistakes and you have to be smart to be able to succeed at such a high level at numerous positions. Outside of him being a hair short, and not being an elite athlete I don't really have any complaints. He's improved his ball skills quite a bit over the past few years, he takes better angles and if he's at safety he won't be in press which primarily where he has struggled in the past.

Do you think he'll be a CB in the NFL? I'm sorry about all the questions, I haven't watched one college game this year ? 

59 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Do you think he'll be a CB in the NFL? I'm sorry about all the questions, I haven't watched one college game this year ? 

Calhoun would be the better guy to ask about that. I believe he has him listed a corner right now.

Archived