2018 Draft Eligible Safety Thread

CalhounLambeau

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Can Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick play both deep safety and near the LOS?

Minnesota could use another safety opposite Smith but Zimmer likes his safeties to be interchangeable.

Derwin James definitely can, but I don't know about Fitzpatrick. He probably can, but he doesn't roll into the box muchat Alabama. When they roll a safety into the box, it's usually Harrison. Fitzpatrick is a physical and willing tackler, but I don't know if he'd be any good at getting off blocks. He's not terribly small or weak, but his frame is kind of slim.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Im very interested in this class of safeties. it seems talented and deep. I think this is going to be a good draft class. 

Indeed. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit?usp=sharing

Looks like Texas safety DeShon Elliott may be leaving early. He's a huge name. He'll be discussed everywhere in the next couple months. 

On 11/29/2017 at 2:00 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

Indeed. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit?usp=sharing

Looks like Texas safety DeShon Elliott may be leaving early. He's a huge name. He'll be discussed everywhere in the next couple months. 

Elliot has pretty good instincts and has obviously shown great ball production. I do think he's better patrolling the back end, though, as his tackling has been somewhat up and down in the games that I've watched. Big potential if he can just be a ball hawk.

Anybody else just really discouraged watching Derwin James? When you take a close look, I just don't see any instinctual play from him and no ball skills. I think taking him to be a Deone Bucannon-type would be interesting, but Bucannon has been a bust to this point. Derwin has plus athleticism though, tackles well, and shows good sideline-to-sideline ability. I'm just very unsure of him as a coverage guy (lack of ball skills) or in a Honey Badger type role (instincits).

Also, DeShon Elliott officially declared as of moments ago.

4 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Anybody else just really discouraged watching Derwin James? When you take a close look, I just don't see any instinctual play from him.

I've watched a bit of him. I haven't formed an opinion yet. But one thing that has to be considered is that he's a redshirt sophomore and half his time of the field in college has been post-injury. You have to give those guys a bit of a leash. 

45 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Could you provide a brief report of him? Strengths/weaknesses?

Center fielding type, great range, and the knack for making the big play. Good size and pretty disciplined. Tackling needs a little work at times and you want him deeper from the line of scrimmage. He doesn't have the range of a Malik Hooker (who has elite range) but he is in that mold. He is a better tackler than Hooker though. Basically if you wanted Hooker last year and missed on him this is the guy you want in this class. He is a more complete safety than Hooker (but Hooker's range is unreal, never seen anything like it) and I think when my evaluation is complete on the whole class he will be just under Hooker's grade from last year. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm under the impression that this safety class is made up more of the SS, in the box, types. Is this true? Any good ballhawking CF types out there? More importantly, any of these guys going to be available at the back of the 1st round?

I think that's true for the most part.  I'd say Minkah Fitzpatrick and DeShon Elliot best fit what you're looking for, but Fitzpatrick won't be available that late obviously.  Armani Watts could be an option as well, more of a day 2 guy at this point though.

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

Center fielding type, great range, and the knack for making the big play. Good size and pretty disciplined. Tackling needs a little work at times and you want him deeper from the line of scrimmage. He doesn't have the range of a Malik Hooker (who has elite range) but he is in that mold. He is a better tackler than Hooker though. Basically if you wanted Hooker last year and missed on him this is the guy you want in this class. He is a more complete safety than Hooker (but Hooker's range is unreal, never seen anything like it) and I think when my evaluation is complete on the whole class he will be just under Hooker's grade from last year. 

Thank you cleveland will get a fs this year it will be interesting to see who they draft

On 11/3/2017 at 3:04 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Derwin James definitely can, but I don't know about Fitzpatrick. He probably can, but he doesn't roll into the box muchat Alabama. When they roll a safety into the box, it's usually Harrison. Fitzpatrick is a physical and willing tackler, but I don't know if he'd be any good at getting off blocks. He's not terribly small or weak, but his frame is kind of slim.

So bleed if you are drafting who do you take?

Archived