2018 Draft Eligible Safety Thread

CalhounLambeau

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yes, sorry.

Nothing to be sorry for, I was genuinely curious if that's who you were talking about. I haven't heard much about him from an NFL perspective so I'm just as curious as you.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

So what are the opinions on the kid from USC?

I'm assuming you're talking  about Marvell Tell III? I don't have much information on him and haven't dug since I haven't gotten word he's declaring early. 

"Pasadena, California native. Four-star recruit according to 247Sports. Real Estate Development major. Started 2 of 10 games played as a freshman. Started 13 games as a sophomore. Broke his collarbone while in high school in 2013"

Above is all I have. There are no cuts of his film yet

On 9/27/2017 at 5:22 PM, Calvert28 said:

Comparing them both as prospects coming out of college. 

Sean Taylor had 10 picks, and returned 3 of them for touchdowns his junior year.  He didn't have raw ball skills as a prospect.  He had 14 interceptions in 25 career college games .  Derwin James has 1 interception in 21 career games. 

40 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

What are the opinions here of Dravon Askew-Henry and Kyzir White, from WVU, as NFL prospects?

I would have Kyzir White in the fourth round range. Haven't watched much - doesn't have many cuts available. I like his size and body type which is reminiscent of his brother - Kevin White. He chases, squares, and pops when he tackles. A good help tackler - which I really value. He's geared toward being around the line of scrimmage. Probably not a back-end safety which limits him a bit but he has size to be a rover. 

I would probably put Askew-Henry in the same draft range as White. Haven't watched much of him either and not much is available in cut form. Has more of back-end safety build and can run and cover but also physical downhill supporting the run. Like White he has NFL bloodlines - cousin of Darrelle Revis. He's a four-year junior so we'll see if he enters early. 

2 hours ago, jyod21 said:

Sean Taylor had 10 picks, and returned 3 of them for touchdowns his junior year.  He didn't have raw ball skills as a prospect.  He had 14 interceptions in 25 career college games .  Derwin James has 1 interception in 21 career games. 

Totally agree, Taylor has WAY SUPERIOR ball skills compared to Derwin James who makes very few plays on the football in the air.  Taylor was a freaking ball hawk not to mention return F'ing punts so yeah the kid had very good ball skills especially for his size.  James is a disappointment in coverage I feel, does not many as many plays as he should on the football.

2 hours ago, jyod21 said:

What are the opinions here of Dravon Askew-Henry and Kyzir White, from WVU, as NFL prospects?

Kyzir White is a big time hit man, could be a great special teams guy and is really active around the line of scrimmage tackling and good enough in coverage.  Probably a mid to late round draft pick, where is toughness and tackling are his best ability I feel.

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

No I don't think so. I think he'll remain a DB for his entire career. Now, he will be rolled down 75% of the time IMO, but he won't be getting ILB snaps.

Literally no way to tell that at this point. It's really dependent on what team drafts him, right?

12 hours ago, Jlash said:

Literally no way to tell that at this point. It's really dependent on what team drafts him, right?

Thus the words "I think" coming into play. I want Derwin James to remain clean and unblocked. You're going to have to play him primarily as a S to make that happen.

Archived