• Rookie of the Year
    • The Bad News Bears
    • The Benchwarmers
    • The Natural
    • The Sandlot
    • The Scout
    • Trouble with the Curve

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2018 at 11:52 AM

Please refer to the thread/link below for criteria:

We will be voting on each particular movie, starting with my favorite sports movie genre, baseball. From here, we will compile a complete list and determine the GOAT Sports Movie. Please feel free to let me know if I'm missing any, and I will amend the list and poll.

Due to the "can't be based off of a real life event" component, the following movies have been eliminated:

Moneyball

Eight Men Out

Pride of the Yankees

The Rookie

Cobb

Due to them being a chick flick instead of a sports movie, the following have been eliminated:

For Love of the Game

Fever Pitch

Summer Catch

Due to the following being redone movies, bad movies, or not actually sports movies, they have been eliminated:

Angels in the Outfield (done originally in 1951)

The Fan

Ed

I am going to post these movies in alphabetical order in the interest of what's fair:

A League of Their Own

225px-League_of_their_own_ver2.jpg

Bull Durham

220px-Bull_Durham_film_poster.jpg

Field of Dreams

51ZXYBGT80L._SY445_.jpg

Hardball

220px-Hardball_ver1.jpg

Little Big League

91hpRTBnTsL._RI_SX200_.jpg

Major League I and II (We're pretending that "Back to the Minors" and Downtown Brown don't exist)

51iHB3DvOqL._SY445_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Mr. 3000

220px-Mr._3000.jpg

Mr. Baseball

220px-Mr_baseball_poster.jpg

Rookie of the Year

81AEBuE38gL._SY445_.jpg

The Bad News Bears (Original)

The-Bad-News-Bears.jpg

The Benchwarmers

215px-Benchwarmers_poster.jpg

The Natural

51Z9Z1FS49L._SY445_.jpg

The Sandlot

91a1NMRga1L._SY445_.jpg

The Scout

MV5BYTllMzNmNzItN2IzNC00YjhmLThiMmItY2Rm

Trouble with the Curve

MV5BMTUwNjMyMzQ3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjcw

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Moneyball

tbh the fact that they PG 13'd Moneyball meant that most of Billy Beane's dialogue was made up and it should be included.

Also tbh The Sandlot. It's the only movie that's actually just about baseball, not the MLB. All about the game.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tbh the fact that they PG 13'd Moneyball meant that most of Billy Beane's dialogue was made up and it should be included.

Also tbh The Sandlot. It's the only movie that's actually just about baseball, not the MLB. All about the game.

The Sandlot checks so many boxes for me, including but not limited to:

*The nostalgia of growing up in the 90s brings back a lot of great memories

*Depicting baseball and the impact on a group of young kids

*The dialogue is outstanding

*All characters have a specifically designed role that you could totally relate to and weren't totally "urban legends" ala Roy Hobbs. You and I all played with/knew a Benny the Jet...the best player with great leadership skills who was also a good kid. You knew from word go they were special. You had the decent player but absolute clown/gel guy who would do anything on a dare, ala Squints. You had that Ace pitcher who was quietly confident/cocky but a fantastic teammate ala Kenny DeNunez, the kid no one really liked but he grew on you (Yeah-Yeah), the two brothers (Timmy and Tommy Timmons), and the loud enforcer who was solid/good and backed up his play, although not the best player on the team (Ham Porter). You also had the kid who sucked but you all rooted for (Smalls)

*It depicts 1950s and 1960s America to a T

*It depicts loyalty to a group/neighborhood and a crosstown rivalry...bonus points for the "rich/preppy" kids vs. the "downtown" kids

Major League. Amazing movie I've seen 20+ times. Still holds up every year. Though I think you should remove Major League II as part of the option because that is not a worthy movie of the list.

Archived