Browns sign OT Greg Robinson

TheKillerNacho

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937743/article/browns-sign-former-no-2-overall-pick-greg-robinson

Formerly the #2 overall pick, Robinson spent some time off last season after being let go by the Lions. Considered to be one of the bigger busts in recent years, can he turn it around on the team considered to be one of the worst in recent years?

The Browns need OT help/depth. I don't think that anyone is expecting him to come in and start or even necessarily make the team. That said, why not bring in a former #2 overall pick who is only 25 years old? There's probably about a 90% chance that he sucks here/gets cut, a 5% chance that he ends up being a capable OT, and about a 5% chance that he ends up magically figuring it out.

I mean, the Browns signed him to a 1 year, $790,000 deal with NO GUARANTEED MONEY. He's here to compete for a roster spot and likely gets cut. I'm not sure how anyone could really be critical of the Browns/this deal in this particular instance.

Who knows.  He's young and obviously has the physical skills to be a 2nd round pick.  It's super cheap, and if they get lucky and he becomes a serviceable RT, G, or even a swing backup,  it would be a great win.   The pressure is no longer on him to be a starting LT.   Hope it works out.

I still can't believe that this guy can't at least be used as an 'Extra OT' in the running game.  In short yardage/goal line situations mainly.  I remember being amazed by how he would destroy people in the running game in college.  The pass blocking issues I get but he should be a beast run blocker...

26 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I still can't believe that this guy can't at least be used as an 'Extra OT' in the running game.  In short yardage/goal line situations mainly.  I remember being amazed by how he would destroy people in the running game in college.  The pass blocking issues I get but he should be a beast run blocker...

Yeah I remember he was just demolishing people at the LOS during that Championship game. How he went from looking like the second coming of Johnathan Ogden to the worst tackle in the NFL is absolutely beyond me.

9 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah I remember he was just demolishing people at the LOS during that Championship game. How he went from looking like the second coming of Johnathan Ogden to the worst tackle in the NFL is absolutely beyond me.

This article is about a year old, but it gives a nice explanation on not only Robinson, but also modern OT's in general.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/16/16040560/greg-robinson-los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-offensive-line-busts-dc63ea1482f6

He was essentially playing a different game at Auburn. The Tigers’ offense was a spread-out, space-based option system, a modern derivative of the Wing-T, and it required completely different things of Robinson than what the Rams’ old-school, I-formation-style scheme would. Robinson, like many college linemen transitioning to the NFL of late, had little experience with the types of blocks he needed to be able to execute at the next level. In former NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz’s informative piece on SB Nation breaking down the difficulties of transitioning to the professional game, he notes that “Robinson played in [a college offense] that barely resembled anything that exists in the NFL. I could hardly find any clips to make comparisons [for what he’s done with the Rams].”

Archived