Jump to content
TheKillerNacho

Browns sign OT Greg Robinson

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So is it a talent issue or a discipline/effort issue? Just shocked he never amounted to anything

I remember Rams fans talking about how he can't get his head around pass blocking techniques to save his life. Probably an effort thing, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I remember Rams fans talking about how he can't get his head around pass blocking techniques to save his life. Probably an effort thing, though.

Is that really an issue for alot of guys though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is that really an issue for alot of guys though?

Heres my thing with o-line, I fully believe 75% of it is just practice and muscle memory IF you have the physical talent. After having the physical talent to be not only athletic enough at that size, but the matching strength---its just effort and repotition to learn the technique aspects. And there really cant be too many pass blocking techniques.

How a player in his 5th year of coaching and 40+ games played of experience doesnt have a light come on at some point through repetition is beyond me.

If you have that much already in the bad and still cant do it--to me that says the real effort to learn is not there because to me (guy sitting on a couch) memorizing and learning 4-5 different steps and hand placement can not be that difficult. Its not like a QB who has to learn every position on the field and 200+ plays.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Heres my thing with o-line, I fully believe 75% of it is just practice and muscle memory IF you have the physical talent. After having the physical talent to be not only athletic enough at that size, but the matching strength---its just effort and repotition to learn the technique aspects. And there really cant be too many pass blocking techniques.

How a player in his 5th year of coaching and 40+ games played of experience doesnt have a light come on at some point through repetition is beyond me.

If you have that much already in the bad and still cant do it--to me that says the real effort to learn is not there because to me (guy sitting on a couch) memorizing and learning 4-5 different steps and hand placement can not be that difficult. Its not like a QB who has to learn every position on the field and 200+ plays.

There are some really dumb people out there though. Like...really dumb. Believe me, there are people that just don't get it and never will no matter how hard they try. There are far more lazy people that never get it because they're lazy, but the case of someone trying their balls off and still getting nowhere is far more common than most think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. He cannot turn it around. He is what he is. But he has a heartbeat and all four limbs. So I mean... that has to count for something.

Still think he should be slid into the phone booth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

No. He cannot turn it around. He is what he is. But he has a heartbeat and all four limbs. So I mean... that has to count for something.

Still think he should be slid into the phone booth.

Well he and Donald Stephenson can smack eachother with their dead-arms and maybe form a decent NFL tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2018 at 6:04 AM, MWil23 said:

I mean, the Browns signed him to a 1 year, $790,000 deal with NO GUARANTEED MONEY. He's here to compete for a roster spot and likely gets cut. I'm not sure how anyone could really be critical of the Browns/this deal in this particular instance.

Just because they didn't guarantee him any money and are paying him the vet minimum doesn't mean they're immune to criticism.

They clearly shouldn't get waylayed, but immune?  Hardly.

I mean, if someone were to sign Trent Richardson to compete for a RB roster spot or Cam Thomas for a DT spot, there's still reason to be critical of the signing because the players have shown time and time again that they just can't hack it.  It's the standard grade hubris that most NFL coaches possess that leads them to believe that they have the right stuff that other coaches didn't that will suddenly turn a demonstrably terrible player into a serviceable one.  That's something that people are well within their right to be critical of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 7:31 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Heres my thing with o-line, I fully believe 75% of it is just practice and muscle memory IF you have the physical talent. After having the physical talent to be not only athletic enough at that size, but the matching strength---its just effort and repotition to learn the technique aspects. And there really cant be too many pass blocking techniques.

How a player in his 5th year of coaching and 40+ games played of experience doesnt have a light come on at some point through repetition is beyond me.

If you have that much already in the bad and still cant do it--to me that says the real effort to learn is not there because to me (guy sitting on a couch) memorizing and learning 4-5 different steps and hand placement can not be that difficult. Its not like a QB who has to learn every position on the field and 200+ plays.

The guy (Robinson) went and trained with one of the best OL camps in the country (the one LeCharles Bentley runs) several summers back... and he still went into live reps and made the same mistakes he'd been making before.  There's a mental aspect to playing OL and he simply doesn't possess it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd make him the TE on goal line packages and teach him literally 2 blocks. Down block and reach block. I'm pretty sure I could teach a monkey to do those things in a day...there's no reason he couldn't at least do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2018 at 8:58 AM, BleedTheClock said:

I'd make him the TE on goal line packages and teach him literally 2 blocks. Down block and reach block. I'm pretty sure I could teach a monkey to do those things in a day...there's no reason he couldn't at least do this.

Pretty sure the monkey would get destroyed...but in all seriousness if those 2 blocks are so easy to learn then why not have someone else do them that may actually have some potential to be an average backup OT

Edited by JaguarCrazy2832

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t he considered more of an OG now? He failed miserably at OT. Maybe he can be a RT, but definitely not a LT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2018 at 8:25 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

I remember Rams fans talking about how he can't get his head around pass blocking techniques to save his life. Probably an effort thing, though.

It begs the question, why did Les Snead and Jeff Fisher even draft him 2nd overall? What an awful draft choice!

They should’ve both been fired after that season or at the least two seasons later in 2014.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, turtle28 said:

It begs the question, why did Les Snead and Jeff Fisher even draft him 2nd overall? What an awful draft choice!

They should’ve been both fired

Fisher was all about the physical upside, didn't pay attention to whether they were smart enough to play their position. Snead has done well since Fisher was fired, he is good but Fisher had to go. Giving Fisher total roster control was a horrible decision by Demoff. And lets not act like the Rams were the only team that rated him highly based off his physical abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×