Jump to content
TheKillerNacho

Browns sign OT Greg Robinson

Recommended Posts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937743/article/browns-sign-former-no-2-overall-pick-greg-robinson

Formerly the #2 overall pick, Robinson spent some time off last season after being let go by the Lions. Considered to be one of the bigger busts in recent years, can he turn it around on the team considered to be one of the worst in recent years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

can he turn it around on the team considered to be one of the worst in recent years?

Short answer....no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're hell-bent on getting Mayfield/Taylor slaughtered, I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Browns need OT help/depth. I don't think that anyone is expecting him to come in and start or even necessarily make the team. That said, why not bring in a former #2 overall pick who is only 25 years old? There's probably about a 90% chance that he sucks here/gets cut, a 5% chance that he ends up being a capable OT, and about a 5% chance that he ends up magically figuring it out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to read into here, won't be considered for anything significant, will take the place of Rod Johnson who was a developmental/swing tackle, nothing to see here people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, the Browns signed him to a 1 year, $790,000 deal with NO GUARANTEED MONEY. He's here to compete for a roster spot and likely gets cut. I'm not sure how anyone could really be critical of the Browns/this deal in this particular instance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows.  He's young and obviously has the physical skills to be a 2nd round pick.  It's super cheap, and if they get lucky and he becomes a serviceable RT, G, or even a swing backup,  it would be a great win.   The pressure is no longer on him to be a starting LT.   Hope it works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without looking myself, has he been tried anywhere at guard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Without looking myself, has he been tried anywhere at guard?

I believe the Rams tried to do that but then moved him to RT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

Without looking myself, has he been tried anywhere at guard?

Detroit played him at guard, he was apparently worse there than he was at tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth a shot when you consider that contract, decent move here by the Browns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still can't believe that this guy can't at least be used as an 'Extra OT' in the running game.  In short yardage/goal line situations mainly.  I remember being amazed by how he would destroy people in the running game in college.  The pass blocking issues I get but he should be a beast run blocker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I still can't believe that this guy can't at least be used as an 'Extra OT' in the running game.  In short yardage/goal line situations mainly.  I remember being amazed by how he would destroy people in the running game in college.  The pass blocking issues I get but he should be a beast run blocker...

Yeah I remember he was just demolishing people at the LOS during that Championship game. How he went from looking like the second coming of Johnathan Ogden to the worst tackle in the NFL is absolutely beyond me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah I remember he was just demolishing people at the LOS during that Championship game. How he went from looking like the second coming of Johnathan Ogden to the worst tackle in the NFL is absolutely beyond me.

This article is about a year old, but it gives a nice explanation on not only Robinson, but also modern OT's in general.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/16/16040560/greg-robinson-los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-offensive-line-busts-dc63ea1482f6

 

Quote

He was essentially playing a different game at Auburn. The Tigers’ offense was a spread-out, space-based option system, a modern derivative of the Wing-T, and it required completely different things of Robinson than what the Rams’ old-school, I-formation-style scheme would. Robinson, like many college linemen transitioning to the NFL of late, had little experience with the types of blocks he needed to be able to execute at the next level. In former NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz’s informative piece on SB Nation breaking down the difficulties of transitioning to the professional game, he notes that “Robinson played in [a college offense] that barely resembled anything that exists in the NFL. I could hardly find any clips to make comparisons [for what he’s done with the Rams].”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck GRob, shame the physical abilities of his caliber can be easily inhibited between the ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×