2018 NBA Random Offseason Discussion

CWood21

Zach Lowe preaching about the Rockets.  Rational thinker.

Beware of labeling as losers: Houston Rockets

Remember the last time we freaked out about Houston losing free agency? It was 2014: LeBron switched teams, Dallas hit Chandler Parsons with a fat offer sheet, and the Rockets let Parsons walk because they didn't think he was a star. In Daryl Morey's world, everyone but superstars is fungible.

They replaced Parsons with ... Trevor Ariza, at half the cost. Houston is usually a couple of steps ahead. The Rockets deserve some benefit of the doubt

Houston was never going to pay multiples in luxury tax payments for Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute. Mbah a Moute was not the same after a late-season shoulder injury, and the Rockets might believe it will linger.

Role players might be fungible. Identities aren't. Houston has lost key ingredients in a gritty defense designed to ruffle the Warriors, and are rebounding by chasing the ghost of an all-offense ex-superstar in Anthony. It's not fair to paint this as a choice between Anthony and the Ariza/Mbah a Moute pairing; Phoenix bid Ariza out of any reasonable Houston price range. But the Rockets could have easily retained Mbah a Moute.

What is Houston's identity now? It had enough offense-defense balance last season to turn a two-game Warriors slump into a short series upset, even if it felt as if the healthy Warriors would go something like 13-7 over 20 games against the healthy Rockets. This revamped version doesn't. Houston would have no chance to defend Golden State with both Harden and Anthony on the floor, even with Paul, P.J. Tucker, P.J. Tucker's ***, and Capela buttressing them. Swap Eric Gordon into Anthony's spot, and Houston becomes too small.

You can bet Morey knows all this. Over the next year, Houston will do something unexpected to lift its chances. We just don't know what it is, or whether the Rockets will do it in time for the playoffs.

Also in that Zach Lowe article:

We've heard for years that LeBron wants to run and cede some playmaking duties. This roster -- including Lonzo Ball -- fits that vision. But LeBron always defaults into a slow half-court style in which he controls everything and craves maximum shooting around him. I'll believe he's ready for something different when I see it. I'm relatively bullish on Ball, and heartened by murmurs that LeBron thinks they can fit. I am skeptical of that fit playing out as well as hoped.

That sounds familiar @J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, CAS22 said:

Rockets are going to drop off significantly next year. Melo doesn't get along with D'antoni. Trevor Ariza is no longer there to guard KD and now LeBron. They can't afford and shouldn't pay Capela what he wants. They will be a 4-5th seed and knocked out in the 2nd round.

7 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Also in that Zach Lowe article:

That sounds familiar @J-ALL-DAY

Going to be interesting for sure. I believe LeBron will play off the ball more as the Lakers have multiple play makers aside from him, but not sure he will be wanting to play as fast as some of the young guns. He likes to take mini breaks on the court and likes to coast, but you can't do that as much if you are playing fast. Fair to say no way he plays around 38 MPG next year lol.

I also think the Rockets regress.  Not only because they lost Ariza and are adding Carmelo (who is a net negative), but also because they just had an amazing season last year.  I still think they will be great, just not as good as this past season.  Also, you can't really bank on Chris Paul staying healthy.  Finally, I know this has been said a thousand times and there are countless jokes, but Harden really doesn't play up to par in the postseason when the pressure is truly on.  

I don't see the Rockets beating the Lakers if the two were to meet in the postseason.  LeBron + all those guys aren't losing to James Harden and an injury plagued Chris Paul.

4 hours ago, CAS22 said:

So...We're supposed to just assume Houston is going to make a good move with the limited amount of solid players left in free agency? Nah. Until they actually do something, this off-season has been a colossal failure

7 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

So...We're supposed to just assume Houston is going to make a good move with the limited amount of solid players left in free agency? Nah. Until they actually do something, this off-season has been a colossal failure

How? They haven't lost Capela and they resigned Chris Paul.

Not getting LeBron and losing Ariza makes them colossal failures? What am I missing?

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

Yeah I'm not buying that, Ariza is not irreplaceable, that's absurd

Big picture boss. Ariza isn't some superstar but who are they finding that can switch onto any of the GS players and do a decent job while being able to hit 3s at an acceptable clip? Houston could switch effectively with Ariza on the court. Who's doing that now? He's a big loss defensively.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

He is with who's currently on the roster.  Not a lot of players with his size, defensive ability, and solid shooting.

Nah, not buying it. Trevor Ariza isn't the difference in a series with golden state. Ya'll just hate the Rocket fans.

Archived