2018 NBA Random Offseason Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, tom cody said:

Wonder where Melo ends up; I'm hearing the Rockets. The guy is still a good player if you ask me, be interesting to see how he does. 

its almost certain that hes coming to Houston. He is going to be the biggest boom or bust signing this off season. if he can accept that he is no longer the dominate scorer he once was, then he can become a heck of a 3rd or 4th option. He is very solid at catch and shoot plays, the only question is whether he will accept doing that and not looking to go iso all the time. His D is a concern, but when he replaces Ryan Anderson in the rotation, its not a concern because he is better than Ryan Anderson according to every measurable means. 

I feel like he has learned from his time in OKC that he isnt what he once was. I dont have a problem with him starting for the Rockets, as long as he knows his role. In a pinch he can still operate as a go to scorer for short periods of time, or if he has a hot game. If he accepts the Trevor Ariza role on offense, he can still be a 15 point scorer. Ariza made his living shooting 3s and driving to the basket. Melo can shoot like Ariza and he is much better, even at this point, at driving to the basket than Ariza. 

A concern I have is the free flowing nature of the rockets offense. We welcome guys jacking up shots at will. Just look at Gerald Green averaging 7.3 3 point attempts per game. Melo will have the freedom to shoot, and he might shoot away. It could work or it could back fire. 

Between Anderson, Ariza and Moute you have 25 shots per game that will need to be replaced by Melo and Ennis. So there are shots within the flow of our offense that Melo can take and be happy with. With CP3/Gordon/Harden/Melo you can weather some injuries and still have guys that can score. 

playoff melo might be another problem. But when it got down to it, our playoff rotation only lost 1 guy in Ariza and we are going to be adding both ennis and Melo. So either way we will be deeper this season come playoff time. 

The idea that Melo is so washed up that he shouldnt be in the league is pretty far fetched. The only thing that can stop melo from being a good player for a contender is melo. Playing with Cp3 and Harden is going to be much different than playing with Westbrook and PG. 

The spacing alone for the Thunder was terrible. the rockets will never have more than 1 guy who cant shoot the 3 on the court. The thunder would put 3 sometimes 4 sub .300 shooters around melo. The rockets worst wing or guard in our normal rotation is a better 3 point shooter than Westbrook, Grant, Roberson, Ferguson, Huestis or Brewer. In fact melo is going from the 2nd or 3rd best 3 point shooter on the thunder to perhaps the worst on the rockets. He is going to find the floor spaced so much better in Houston. The switch everything model of D fits his limited defensive ability better than some Ds. I think the Rockets system will bring out max melo. Which at this point is probably a below average defender who scores 15 a game shooting 36% from 3. Basically what he was in OKC, but more efficient with less usage on the offensive end. 

Fun Fact about Melo, in the 15 games last year where he played under 30 minutes, he was super efficent. I think finding a role of playing 25-30 minutes a night will help him be a very effective player. The question is whether or not he accepts that role. I think being on a team with Chris Paul and Eric Gordon who have both accepted the role of playing under 32 minutes per night will help Melo. 

10 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

its almost certain that hes coming to Houston. He is going to be the biggest boom or bust signing this off season. if he can accept that he is no longer the dominate scorer he once was, then he can become a heck of a 3rd or 4th option. He is very solid at catch and shoot plays, the only question is whether he will accept doing that and not looking to go iso all the time. His D is a concern, but when he replaces Ryan Anderson in the rotation, its not a concern because he is better than Ryan Anderson according to every measurable means. 

I feel like he has learned from his time in OKC that he isnt what he once was. I dont have a problem with him starting for the Rockets, as long as he knows his role. In a pinch he can still operate as a go to scorer for short periods of time, or if he has a hot game. If he accepts the Trevor Ariza role on offense, he can still be a 15 point scorer. Ariza made his living shooting 3s and driving to the basket. Melo can shoot like Ariza and he is much better, even at this point, at driving to the basket than Ariza. 

A concern I have is the free flowing nature of the rockets offense. We welcome guys jacking up shots at will. Just look at Gerald Green averaging 7.3 3 point attempts per game. Melo will have the freedom to shoot, and he might shoot away. It could work or it could back fire. 

Between Anderson, Ariza and Moute you have 25 shots per game that will need to be replaced by Melo and Ennis. So there are shots within the flow of our offense that Melo can take and be happy with. With CP3/Gordon/Harden/Melo you can weather some injuries and still have guys that can score. 

playoff melo might be another problem. But when it got down to it, our playoff rotation only lost 1 guy in Ariza and we are going to be adding both ennis and Melo. So either way we will be deeper this season come playoff time. 

The idea that Melo is so washed up that he shouldnt be in the league is pretty far fetched. The only thing that can stop melo from being a good player for a contender is melo. Playing with Cp3 and Harden is going to be much different than playing with Westbrook and PG. 

The spacing alone for the Thunder was terrible. the rockets will never have more than 1 guy who cant shoot the 3 on the court. The thunder would put 3 sometimes 4 sub .300 shooters around melo. The rockets worst wing or guard in our normal rotation is a better 3 point shooter than Westbrook, Grant, Roberson, Ferguson, Huestis or Brewer. In fact melo is going from the 2nd or 3rd best 3 point shooter on the thunder to perhaps the worst on the rockets. He is going to find the floor spaced so much better in Houston. The switch everything model of D fits his limited defensive ability better than some Ds. I think the Rockets system will bring out max melo. Which at this point is probably a below average defender who scores 15 a game shooting 36% from 3. Basically what he was in OKC, but more efficient with less usage on the offensive end. 

Fun Fact about Melo, in the 15 games last year where he played under 30 minutes, he was super efficent. I think finding a role of playing 25-30 minutes a night will help him be a very effective player. The question is whether or not he accepts that role. I think being on a team with Chris Paul and Eric Gordon who have both accepted the role of playing under 32 minutes per night will help Melo. 

Melo sucks bro

Archived