turtle28

49ers may cut 2016 First Round Pick OG Joshua Garnett

If he gets cut, Snyder needs to rev up Redskins one!

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If he gets cut, Snyder needs to rev up Redskins one!

It sounds like he's not going to be cut imminently, but could be terminated right before the season begins.

That doesn't really help the Redskins. Yes, should he become available, they would be wise to investigate him, but there will be a ramp up time.

8 minutes ago, Woz said:

It sounds like he's not going to be cut imminently, but could be terminated right before the season begins.

That doesn't really help the Redskins. Yes, should he become available, they would be wise to investigate him, but there will be a ramp up time.

Very true. I’m also not as sold as PFF is that he will get cut. There’s certainly nothing wrong with having good interior OL depth. My guess is that he doesn’t fit the ZBS well and that’s why he could be cut. 

Garnett came from Stanford which runs a man blocking scheme. As we all know, Kyle runs a lot of outside zone plays and possibly Garnett isn’t good at it.

From 1 month ago, and FWIW...

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/shanahan-observes-joshua-garnett-really-going-it

After a disappointing rookie season, Garnett did not get a chance to show how he could fit into Shanahan’s blocking scheme. The 49ers opted to place Garnett on season-ending injured reserve before the start of his second year in the NFL despite a knee injury that would not require him to be sidelined for the duration of the regular season. The move caught Garnett by surprise, as the 49ers challenged him to continue to get into better physical condition in order to carry out all the movements required to play in the zone-blocking scheme. Thus far, Shanahan likes what he has seen.

“I see a guy who’s really going for it,” Shanahan said as the 49ers opened OTAs last week with their first practices of the offseason program. “I’ve been very proud of how he’s handled his year off. Some guys when they go through that, they can get down, especially the surprise it was for him when it happened. “He really took advantage of his year off. I think he’s changed his body. I think he’s lost weight and added some muscle. I think by doing that, you’re faster, you’re more athletic, and I don’t believe he’s lost his power either because it’s been the right type of weight.”

Probably just a slippery guess on him being cut.. since someone of his draft status being cut generates the clicks, and he was a pick from the old regime. 

Just what we need. More sucky players to plug in at LG. 

I'd love for this guy to become available. I'd even trade something for him, although maybe not the 4th rounder I speculated about a month or two ago.

Showing enough talent and performance to be drafted in the 1st round as a G is unusual. That might have been a bit of stretch, value/reach wise, but he was a consensus top 50 player in that draft. Maybe everybody was dead wrong about him, but I would certainly invest a bit to try to find out. 

As mentioned above, it was always clear that a power man scheme was his best fit. That's pretty much the opposite of what Kyle likes to do, but we have a lot of those principles. I'd like to see what he could here, with Callahan to help tighten up his game and Trent/Roullier on each side of him to help cover up for his limitations in pass blocking. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I'd love for this guy to become available. I'd even trade something for him, although maybe not the 4th rounder I speculated about a month or two ago.

Showing enough talent and performance to be drafted in the 1st round as a G is unusual. That might have been a bit of stretch, value/reach wise, but he was a consensus top 50 player in that draft. Maybe everybody was dead wrong about him, but I would certainly invest a bit to try to find out. 

As mentioned above, it was always clear that a power man scheme was his best fit. That's pretty much the opposite of what Kyle likes to do, but we have a lot of those principles. I'd like to see what he could here, with Callahan to help tighten up his game and Trent/Roullier on each side of him to help cover up for his limitations in pass blocking. 

For me it’d have to be a conditional draft pick. I’m pretty sure he’ll be cut in August/September because he doesn’t fit the outside ZBS that Kyle runs most of the game. The way the conditions should work IMO is if he comes in and becomes our starting LG durning the season at all then the 49ers get a 4th. If he doesn’t, they get nothing.

Edited by turtle28