Green Bay Packers will have the best record in the NFL this year

VanS

Anyone else feeling like the Packers are gonna have a monster 14-2 type season this year?  I know I am.  They look STACKED to me.  I personally love what they did this off-season.  First, they hit it big in free agency with 2 outstanding signings.  Everyone knows Jimmy Graham and Muhammad Wilkerson are both really good players.  I also loved the signing of Marcedes Lewis who is a very underrated TE.  Next, when it came to the draft, I thought they hit it out of the park.  I love the selection of Jaire Alexander in the 1st round.  He just looks like a shut down corner.  I also love their picks of J'Mon Moore and Equanimeous St. Brown.  I had both receivers rated much higher than where they got selected.  I believe both can make a huge impact this season.  And finally, they get Aaron Rodgers back.  The guy is arguably the greatest QB of all-time.  In my opinion he's got more weapons than ever before this year.  I think he puts up huge numbers this year and wins NFL MVP once again.

All in all, I'm seeing very few weaknesses on this team.   Now I'm not saying they'll win the Super Bowl.  Winning a Super Bowl takes luck in addition to being really good.  But I do feel that they are the most complete team in the NFL heading into 2018.

The packers aren't even the best team in their division, if Rodgers goes down they're a medicore team at best. 

Sure they made some improvements but their secondary is still trash and got worse. 

Not even close to the most "complete" team, but if Rodgers stays healthy, Graham has the impact many hope he does and their defense is even slightly improved, then sure, they could have the best record.   

Those are all pretty big "if's" though.  

14-2 monster? No. If Rodgers is healthy all year, I think that they are a playoff team, but thats as far as I'm willing to go. And while one of the "big 4" may flop, I don't know if they would surpass all the others. 

Also, while Wilkerson was a very good signing (risk v reward speaking), lets be real. He hasn't been good in 3 years. It was a good signing just because if he decides to show up and plays well, he could way outplay that contract. If he continues to play like he has the last two years though, you could definitely challenge how good of a player that actually is. Mercedes Lewis should garner the same type of signing excitement that signing someone like Garrett Celek would generate. You just know Lewis' name easier because at one point, he was somewhat relevant, but he's not good. 

Graham will be Graham. St. Brown I feel is unlikely to be a major factor in his first year in my opinion. Every year we have 6th and 7th round guys who everyone thought should have gone much earlier, and they still don't often pan out. I think bottom of the depth chart or PS is probably more likely, yeah? And while I loved the top two selections in Alexander and Jackson, lets be real in that it's very, very hazardous to entrust significant defensive coverage snaps to two rookie cornerbacks, a position its not always very easy to transition too. 

So I have a lot of questions on the defensive end of the spectrum. The underrated move in this is Pettine, and it wouldn't shock me if he got more from that defense than he should, but far too early in the process for me to say that they have few questions. I have a lot of questions. It wouldn't surprise me if they all stayed questions, or they ended up solved. But right now, there are questions, and there are things I perceive as weaknesses. 

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Everyone knows Jimmy Graham and Muhammad Wilkerson are both really good players.

Do we though? I love JImmy Graham (check the avy), but I don't consider him to be a "really good player" anymore. Muhammad Wilkerson was horrid last season. The term "good" would be strong when talking about 2017 Mo Wilkerson.

I did like Green Bay's draft. I still have questions about their pass rush and linebackers though. They seem to be lacking in that area, unless you're counting on a resurgence from Clay and a career year from Nick Perry. I think theoretically this team is pretty stacked, but I don't see them going 14-2. That seems a bit wild. The team that has the best record in the NFL will be the team that has Joshua Dobbs on their roster. The Dobbs-led Steelers go 16-0 in my opinion.

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Marcedes Lewis isn’t good.

He's an excellent blocking TE.  Add him with Jimmy Graham and you have a nice duo of TEs that complement each other.

Lewis should help a run game that should be improved with Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones heading into year 2.

Not really. They haven't had a defense since 2010. Capers is gone though, so maybe the change will help. Record doesn't really do much for me. If they go 10-6, but are playing all around solid ball against a tough schedule, that's great. If they go 14-2, and Rodgers is basically having to outscore everyone without much help, that's not as great to me. Especially once the playoffs start.

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not even close to the most "complete" team, but if Rodgers stays healthy, Graham has the impact many hope he does and their defense is even slightly improved, then sure, they could have the best record.   

Those are all pretty big "if's" though.  

Absolutely this. Thats not a knock on Green Bay to say if Rodgers gets hurt they fall big time. Pretty much every contender in the NFL would falter big time if their #1 QB went down. With that said, if Rodgers is healthy and even the defense improves slightly they could take the division but 14-2 in the NFC is crazy tough to do. You would need a pretty easy schedule to do it

14 hours ago, VanS said:

Anyone else feeling like the Packers are gonna have a monster 14-2 type season this year? 

No.  They're in a division with a team that just went to the NFC Championship game and a Chicago Bears roster that made significant inroads from a talent perspective. 

14 hours ago, VanS said:

They look STACKED to me. 

It's the offseason, half the league looks stacked.  Give it a few months for injuries to set in and talent to dwindle. 

14 hours ago, VanS said:

I personally love what they did this off-season.  First, they hit it big in free agency with 2 outstanding signings.  Everyone knows Jimmy Graham and Muhammad Wilkerson are both really good players.

Well, I half agree with you.  But Muhammad Wilkerson looked like Albert Haynesworth 2.0 the last two years in New York.  Even before then, while he was talented and productive, there were signs the effort wasn't always there.  Just the same, maybe reuniting him with Mike Pettine is just what he needs to return to form. 

14 hours ago, VanS said:

I also loved the signing of Marcedes Lewis who is a very underrated TE.

I do too, not because I think he is underrated, but because I like the addition of a quality blocking TE on a team that already has one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.  That could help Rodgers dissect opposing defenses. 

14 hours ago, VanS said:

Next, when it came to the draft, I thought they hit it out of the park.  I love the selection of Jaire Alexander in the 1st round.  He just looks like a shut down corner.

I liked their draft too.  Jaire Alexander was one of the few picks I actually predicted because he seemed like such a good fit for Mike Pettine's defense.  They also got a pretty good value in Josh Jackson in the second round as well.

14 hours ago, VanS said:

I also love their picks of J'Mon Moore and Equanimeous St. Brown.  I had both receivers rated much higher than where they got selected.  I believe both can make a huge impact this season.

Ehhh, I view Moore and St. Brown as an either/or kind of thing as far as making an impact.  The Packers took a bunch of high upside receivers late. and I too liked the value with those picks  To be fair, they've done that before with Jeff Janis and he didn't really developed in what they needed him to be.

14 hours ago, VanS said:

And finally, they get Aaron Rodgers back.  The guy is arguably the greatest QB of all-time.  In my opinion he's got more weapons than ever before this year. 

Although if you're taking it this far, I think you're overrating St. Brown and Moore. 

14 hours ago, VanS said:

All in all, I'm seeing very few weaknesses on this team.   Now I'm not saying they'll win the Super Bowl.  Winning a Super Bowl takes luck in addition to being really good.  But I do feel that they are the most complete team in the NFL heading into 2018.

Linebacker is a pretty significant one imo. 

I'm surprised there was no mention in this post about Mike Pettine.  In my opinion, if there is any reason I expect the Packers' secondary, entire defense and team as a whole to be much better than they were two years ago, it's because they finally replaced Dom Capers with someone better. 

I don't know about 14-2 but they remind me of one of those teams who could be an extremely talented dangerous group after a down year. They certainly under performed last year but they seemed to have had a great draft on paper, a new DC, a new OC, and some good FA signing to solidify positions. If Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, and Josh Jackson can be above average corp the defense may be a lot better than people are assuming it is going to be. The D line right now is extremely nasty with Clark, Wilk, and Daniels and albeit not great by any stretch Perry and Mathews can get the job done if they stay healthy. 

14-2 for any team this year in the NFC seems like a stretch but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Packers were #1 in the conference nor would it really surprise me if they barely made the playoffs. They are one of those teams that  has a lot of new exciting pieces and if they pay off they could be in for a big year. 

They have an easy schedule and they should be better than last year, but this sure doesn't look like a 14-2 team to me.  The new GM was light years better than Ted in the offseason, so give him a couple years to add some pieces, and some more time for the new rookies to develop and they could be looking at a 14-2 type of record then.  I just don't think they have come that far from last season quite yet, even with a healthy Rodgers.

29 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I don't know about 14-2 but they remind me of one of those teams who could be an extremely talented dangerous group after a down year. They certainly under performed last year but they seemed to have had a great draft on paper, a new DC, a new OC, and some good FA signing to solidify positions. If Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, and Josh Jackson can be above average corp the defense may be a lot better than people are assuming it is going to be. The D line right now is extremely nasty with Clark, Wilk, and Daniels and albeit not great by any stretch Perry and Mathews can get the job done if they stay healthy. 

14-2 for any team this year in the NFC seems like a stretch but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Packers were #1 in the conference nor would it really surprise me if they barely made the playoffs. They are one of those teams that  has a lot of new exciting pieces and if they pay off they could be in for a big year. 

With teams like the Rams, Eagles, Vikings, Saints, etc. in the conference, that would shock the heck out of me. 

30 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

With teams like the Rams, Eagles, Vikings, Saints, etc. in the conference, that would shock the heck out of me. 

One of the best QBs in the game can make up for a lot. If the defense is above average (Big If I know) it wouldn't really shock me one bit to see the Packers sitting in 1st. I don't exactly expect it to happen but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. 

Archived