Green Bay Packers will have the best record in the NFL this year

VanS

4 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

We don't know that but sure, say their starting QB wouldn't have been better than their 3rd stringer. GB had a more significant injury (Rodgers) but terrible defensive play doomed them just as much as injuries, even with a healthy Rodgers they would've had issues with the Vikings.

Keenum didn't play better than Cousins last year, he had a better supporting cast, coaching, defense and running game. All of which Cousins now has save for a better o-line than his time in washington. 

You're right, we can't know for sure.  But we can reasonably believe that the Vikings weren't going to get a second career year out of Sam Bradford a year after his first.  If you believe that what Sam Bradford in 2016 is repeatable, sure.  But given that Sam Bradford never played that well before, I think it's highly unlikely that he played at that same level.  Either way, Keenum's production in 2017 was comparable to Bradford's in 2016.  The fact is that the Vikings got a crap ton more production out of Keenum than the Packers did out of Brett Hundley.  And given that we're in a QB-driven league...

And I think you're understating how much of an impact that losing Rodgers impacts the defense.  Last year, Green Bay was 27th in terms of TOP at about 28.5 MPG.  In 2016, they were 5th at a bit over 31 MPG.  If you don't believe that impacts the defense, I don't know what to tell you.  Rodgers' injury impacts not only the offense but also the defense.  The defense was on the field far more than they were in 2016.

And I was talking about statistically, Keenum had a better season than Cousins.  Not that he's better.  That needs to be clarified.

Keenum clearly had a better season last year than Cousins, that's not even debatable.  I'll even say it wouldn't surprise me at all if Cousins doesn't match Keenum's performance last year in 2018.  Now, will Keenum play as well this year (or ever again)?  Probably not, and Cousins will throw for a ton of yards for sure.  But in terms of clutch QB play, TD/INT ratio, and efficiency, I think Cousins will sytuggle to match Keenum's 2017 season.  We'll see...

On 8/15/2018 at 3:38 PM, VanS said:

Most people have them as a playoff team and potential Super Bowl contender.  But they're not viewed as the hands down favorite.  I believe they are the hands down favorite which is why I was confident making this thread and predicting they will win 14 games.  They look that good to me on paper and from what I've seen in their first preseason game. 

?

This right here is just asinine.

Im an Eagles fan....you know, the team who just won the Superbowl despite: Brady having his best game ever, not having our franchise QB who was almost definitely going to win MVP until week 13, not having our star LT for 10 games, our #1 CB for 10 games, our star MLB for over half the season, our best ST player in Maragos and also Sproles both for the year. 

So, like the Packers, we also happen to be getting our star QB back from injury. Difference is of course that Rodgers is obviously better and more impactful, but one could argue Wentz was playing at a Rodgers-esque level last season with the kind of impact he had in games. And also, key difference in that the Packers turned into a bottom 5 team without Rodgers, whereas the Eagles had (and have now plus more) incredible depth and talent on both offense and defense as well as probably the 2nd or 3rd best HC in the NFL to go along with one of the best GMs and best defensive coordinators (yeah, Schwartz>>>Pettine by a landslide). Green Bay certainly will likely improve in almost every area minus HC (I dont like McCarthy). 

Now having said all that, I wouldn't even say that the Eagles are the "hands down favorite". No team in the NFC is. Its got at least 4 teams that all will likely be SB contenders and thats not including Green Bay. 

And to wrap things up, I just want you to go back and re-read the last part of this post. 

So after looking at their depth chart on ourlads.com and watching them in ONE (LOL btw) preseason game, suddenly youre absolutely convinced that they are on a just entirely different level than not only the SB champs but LA, NO, and Minny??? 

AND you claim youre an objective football fan with no favorite team?

Homie let me get whatever it is youre taking. Or smoking. What ever. Just send that ish my way.

Warning!  Homer Fanboy talk to follow:

All I know for sure about the Packers is that the Falcons have absolutely OWNED them and Aaron Rodgers for the last 2 years!  Just 11 months ago they spanked the Packers all over the new MB Dome and it was the second game of the season so you can't even use the injury excuse as usual!!!

Ahem, sorry, just had to get that off my chest...  ;)

On 8/18/2018 at 10:18 PM, megatechpc said:

Keenum clearly had a better season last year than Cousins, that's not even debatable.  I'll even say it wouldn't surprise me at all if Cousins doesn't match Keenum's performance last year in 2018.  Now, will Keenum play as well this year (or ever again)?  Probably not, and Cousins will throw for a ton of yards for sure.  But in terms of clutch QB play, TD/INT ratio, and efficiency, I think Cousins will sytuggle to match Keenum's 2017 season.  We'll see...

Keenum had a 6 game stretch. That's it. He wasn't that great. 

On 6/22/2018 at 3:52 AM, Nabbs4u said:

You do realize GB  has achieved a 14-2 record "Once" (15-1) in 2011 in it's entire history in the NFL?

Is it possible, sure. Likely No. History suggests otherwise. I highly doubt any NFC team goes 14-2 this season. Conference is too strong!

One more time for good measure.

On 2018-06-20 at 10:46 PM, VanS said:

Anyone else feeling like the Packers are gonna have a monster 14-2 type season this year?  I know I am.  They look STACKED to me.  I personally love what they did this off-season.  First, they hit it big in free agency with 2 outstanding signings.  Everyone knows Jimmy Graham and Muhammad Wilkerson are both really good players.  I also loved the signing of Marcedes Lewis who is a very underrated TE.  Next, when it came to the draft, I thought they hit it out of the park.  I love the selection of Jaire Alexander in the 1st round.  He just looks like a shut down corner.  I also love their picks of J'Mon Moore and Equanimeous St. Brown.  I had both receivers rated much higher than where they got selected.  I believe both can make a huge impact this season.  And finally, they get Aaron Rodgers back.  The guy is arguably the greatest QB of all-time.  In my opinion he's got more weapons than ever before this year.  I think he puts up huge numbers this year and wins NFL MVP once again.

All in all, I'm seeing very few weaknesses on this team.   Now I'm not saying they'll win the Super Bowl.  Winning a Super Bowl takes luck in addition to being really good.  But I do feel that they are the most complete team in the NFL heading into 2018.

If Rodgers is healthy, they can always be a contender for the best record .   Schedule might help compared to others,  and Graham will have his best season or close to it.  How he landed here is an insult to the rest of the league since TE's are the worst match up for a D and he is one of the best.  Why didn't the steelers sign him?  I could see Rodgers winning QB MVP again. The pats game is the one everyone will be waiting for, will they defeat Brady again in a classic and what could  be the game of the year? 

20 hours ago, BAConrad said:

?

This right here is just asinine.

Im an Eagles fan....you know, the team who just won the Superbowl despite: Brady having his best game ever, not having our franchise QB who was almost definitely going to win MVP until week 13, not having our star LT for 10 games, our #1 CB for 10 games, our star MLB for over half the season, our best ST player in Maragos and also Sproles both for the year. 

So, like the Packers, we also happen to be getting our star QB back from injury. Difference is of course that Rodgers is obviously better and more impactful, but one could argue Wentz was playing at a Rodgers-esque level last season with the kind of impact he had in games. And also, key difference in that the Packers turned into a bottom 5 team without Rodgers, whereas the Eagles had (and have now plus more) incredible depth and talent on both offense and defense as well as probably the 2nd or 3rd best HC in the NFL to go along with one of the best GMs and best defensive coordinators (yeah, Schwartz>>>Pettine by a landslide). Green Bay certainly will likely improve in almost every area minus HC (I dont like McCarthy). 

Now having said all that, I wouldn't even say that the Eagles are the "hands down favorite". No team in the NFC is. Its got at least 4 teams that all will likely be SB contenders and thats not including Green Bay. 

And to wrap things up, I just want you to go back and re-read the last part of this post. 

So after looking at their depth chart on ourlads.com and watching them in ONE (LOL btw) preseason game, suddenly youre absolutely convinced that they are on a just entirely different level than not only the SB champs but LA, NO, and Minny??? 

AND you claim youre an objective football fan with no favorite team?

Homie let me get whatever it is youre taking. Or smoking. What ever. Just send that ish my way.

What happened last year has no bearing on this year.  When will ya'll realize that?

Good for the Eagles in 2017.  They had an epic playoff run.  And they won an epic Super Bowl.  But that's last season.  This year is different.  I think the Eagles will be good in 2018.  However, they play in the toughest division in football IMO (the NFC East).  I see 3 potential playoff teams in that division:  Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, and the Philadelphia Eagles.  I can see either one of those 3 teams winning the division. 

Packers have a better roster than the Eagles in my opinion.  And I think their division is less grueling.  Plus Aaron Rodgers is arguably the GOAT and I think this will be his best season ever.  All those factors will combine to give the Packers the #1 seed in the NFC Playoffs. 

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Keenum had a 6 game stretch. That's it. He wasn't that great. 

Go look at Keenum's stats for the year and compare them to Cousin's.  Keenum was better.  Maybe not substantially, but marginally better.  The problem was that was far outside of Keenum's career norms, so it was hard to believe it was repeatable.  Cousins was more likely to repeat his numbers.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

What happened last year has no bearing on this year.  When will ya'll realize that?

Good for the Eagles in 2017.  They had an epic playoff run.  And they won an epic Super Bowl.  But that's last season.  This year is different.  I think the Eagles will be good in 2018.  However, they play in the toughest division in football IMO (the NFC East).  I see 3 potential playoff teams in that division:  Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, and the Philadelphia Eagles.  I can see either one of those 3 teams winning the division. 

Packers have a better roster than the Eagles in my opinion.  And I think their division is less grueling.  Plus Aaron Rodgers is arguably the GOAT and I think this will be his best season ever.  All those factors will combine to give the Packers the #1 seed in the NFC Playoffs. 

What is good about the NFC East besides the eagles? What makes you think Rodgers will have his best season?

23 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What is good about the NFC East besides the eagles? What makes you think Rodgers will have his best season?

Washington and Dallas will both be really good teams in 2018. 

I think the NFC East sends 3 teams to the playoffs (Redskins, Cowboys, and Eagles).

Just now, VanS said:

I think the NFC East sends 3 teams to the playoffs (Redskins, Cowboys, and Eagles).

But the Vikings are going to win the North so where does that leave the Packers?

41 minutes ago, VanS said:

Did washington address their D in the  offseason ?  AP should help  but the D could still be a weakness and I can't see a team being "really good" when the D is bad or even bottom 1/4 of the league)  If the Cowboys can stay healthy, I expect them to be in the playoffs.  

15 hours ago, VanS said:

Packers have a better roster than the Eagles in my opinion. 

And I think their division is less grueling.  Plus Aaron Rodgers is arguably the GOAT and I think this will be his best season ever.  All those factors will combine to give the Packers the #1 seed in the NFC Playoffs. 

Ill address the rest of your post, because theres so much ridiculously egregious opinions in it. But this one, boy oh boy.

A better 53 man roster? Let me guess, your only reasoning is that you "loved their draft". They have a mediocre roster overall when you look at it right now with reasonable expectations (I know, kind of moot here since "reasonable" is not even remotely close to being an adjective used to describe you and your football takes). So you think that their draft is basically going to produce 6 All Pros immediately then I assume. Okay.

Lets go through it since were comparing the overall rosters.

QB: Packers (but its actually very close)

-Rodgers is arguably the best QB when on the field. Green Bay tops pretty much any team here because of him. However, the depth should absolutely apply also which would make the Eagles the closest arguably to GB here. Wentz is going to be a top 5 QB this season, and is already arguably one now. The Superbowl MVP backs him up. If Rodgers goes down, Green Bays season is over. As close to a sure fire prediction as there is. Unless you just love Brett Hundley and DeShone Kizer (laughs as I type this out). Our 3rd stringer is better than either of them. 

RB: Eagles 

-This one is only somewhat close because for reasons I dont agree with..some people seem to like Jones and Williams but I dont. One of many positional groups on GB that is either a slight or a complete unknown at this point. Ill take our young and more established duo in Ajayi and Clement. And it helps that we happen to be getting Sproles back

WR: Eagles

-I know youre infatuated with Green Bay's 3rd day draft picks at WR, but sorry, Eagles are absolutely better here. Jeffrey vs Adams is debateable. I prefer AJ but I could see why one might take Adams. But he doesnt have that important ability to draw double coverage and create more man coverage for his teammates like AJ does. Agholor>>>Cobb. One peaked years ago and is in the twilight. While the other is a phoenix. Risen from the ashes, breaking out last season is just gonna get better. Mike Wallace, Mack Hollins, and Gibson>>>>>>Whoever the hell makes it as GB's 3-5 spots. Equanamious St Brown is nothing but a late round rookie who from all accounts hasnt been anything special in TC. 

TE: Eagles

-Graham is gonna be a good fit for what GB needed but dont kid yourself, hes fringe top 10 at his position and Ertz is one of the two or three best. The former is old and on the decline. The latter is in his prime and only getting better. And Im gonna go ahead and confidently say that Dallas Goedert is going to be better than Lance Kendricks and Mercedes Lewis (? . I had no idea thats who GB had at TE behind Graham. Two awful career underachievers). This is not close.

OL: Eagles

-The best OL in 2017. Green Bay has a very good tackle duo with Bakhtiari and Bulaga. But neither are as good as Lane Johnson, and Jason Peters still has 1 or 2 years of All Pro level play left in him. And the OL has to be strong at every position because as far as positional units go, it is the most reliant on the players playing as a UNIT. GB's guards are...not good. And unfortunately, right now interior OL play is more important than it ever has been. Teams have figured out that you can get to the QB quicker when youre rushing him from the inside, where its closer. Rocket science, I know. And Kelce is the best center in the league, Brooks is an All Pro, and we have Wisniewski who is our "weakest" starter but still an above average player. Id say GB has maybe the 10th-14th best OL. Ours is probably the best or top 3. 

Pretty lopsided so far....lets see defense

DL: Eagles

-Packers are actually very strong up front. I love Daniels and Clark. But Wilkerson was available for so cheap for legitimate reasons. Have you watched him play lately? He is a shell of the guy we saw years ago. But lets not even argue this one. Its Eagles here zero question. Depth and starters both.

LBs: Tie

-If everyones healthy, I take Eagles' guys. Its hard to compare these two groups because of the difference in positions and responsibilities due to the teams' individual schemes. Ryan might have gave GB an edge if he hadnt just gone on the IR. 

CBs: Eagles

-This could come down to preference, because both teams happen to have two of the deepest collection of talented young corners in the league. But we have two guys who we have seen actually play very well in Darby and Mills. GB is pretty much all completely inexperienced rookies and then Tramon Williams' corpse. Sidney Jones is more talented than any of GB's rookies, and he also has a year of at least being in the league and learning the playbook even if he only played the 1 game. And Rasul Douglas came in for 8 weeks and was impressive before Darby returned in week 10. 

Again, I could see an argument for GB being superior in a few years but this season Id rather roll with the young guys who just played on the Super Bowl winning team over the young guys who havent played at all.

S: Eagles

-HHCD is probably more talented than any other guy on either team, but Jenkins is basically still an All Pro level player who is one of the most important players on a SB winning defense. McLeod and Graham>>>Cantrell and whoever the hell else is there. If Burnett didnt leave, this would go to GB.

So besides QB (which even then, Philly is as close as any team to GB at that position), Philly is quite easily the better team from top to bottom. You say last season has no weight in this discussion, but you're wrong. Players' most recent performances are indicative of their future play at times. Its not the end all be all but you cant just sit there and say "Buffalo has a better chance of winning 10+ games than Philly, because I think Josh Allen is the next GOAT and I love their unknown potential" and legitimately think that you're being objective. 

And also if we included coaching here when comparing GB and Philly then itd be Philly by a landslide also. 

And the NFC East the best division in football? HAHAHAHAHA

Keep hittin dat pipe mon.  Im sure Josh Dobbs will help prove your superior football prowess and intellect.

Archived