2nd most important GB Defensive player for 2018 season

squire12

Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 2nd most important for the 2018 season  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which GB Packer defensive player will be the 2nd most important for the 2018 season

• Mike Daniels
    • Kenny Clark
    • Mo Wilkerson
    • Nick Perry
    • Clay Matthews
    • HaHa Clinton-Dix
    • Blake Martinez
    • Tramon Williams
    • Other (please note specific name in post)

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We have two guys who have shown capable of being top tier in the last two years, Kenny Clark only as a BIG not as a DT.

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clay was a top tier OPB but I'm not even sure he was a top tier edge rusher.

What is a BIG ? I understand playing in gaps (0-9), nose tackle or guard, under-tackle, defensive end, but never heard of BIG. Does the G stand for guard ?

What is an OPB ? Outside something-or-other, I'd guess, unless it's a Death Star (Orbital Planet Buster).

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

What is a BIG ? I understand playing in gaps (0-9), nose tackle or guard, under-tackle, defensive end, but never heard of BIG. Does the G stand for guard ?

What is an OPB ? Outside something-or-other, I'd guess, unless it's a Death Star (Orbital Planet Buster).

You've got your Guards (G) ; your Forwards (PF/SF) and your Centers (BIGS)  :)

Can people explain their Clay and Perry picks? I understand edge rush is important but I think we have multiple guys to rush the passer.

What’s Clay’s realistic ceiling this year? Not as high as Kenny Clark.

Perry, same as Clay. Not nearly as high Clark.

If Kenny Clark builds upon his work from the end of the year, he’s going to be a dominant DT which will take our D to the next level.

54 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

So your NT, NG and BIG are all the same thing then.

I was just kidding around actually. The breakdown I provided was for basketball - not football.

IIn football I think your BIGS are your interior guys - NT/NG as you'd indicated. Most often they're identified by actual position and not BIGS.

We are thin at OLB.  Pretty huge drop off after Clay and Nick.  Clark would have been up there but we signed Wilkerson who can also play the nose.  It's a depth thing.  Clark may end up being our best defensive player but we have good depth along the line.  Losing Matthews/Perry will impact the defense greater than losing Clark.  

38 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

We are thin at OLB.  Pretty huge drop off after Clay and Nick.  Clark would have been up there but we signed Wilkerson who can also play the nose.  It's a depth thing.  Clark may end up being our best defensive player but we have good depth along the line.  Losing Matthews/Perry will impact the defense greater than losing Clark.  

Our most important player is more than who we need healthy. It also means who we need to perform and play to their potential.

7 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

BIGs are your Dlineman who usually line up in position to take on double teams, usually 0 or 1 techs. Big Guys, anchor guys like Clark. 

The alternative DT spot is usually referred to as an Under Tackle or 3-tech. Those are your penetrators like Daniels.

It's not fair to compare the two because they have different responsibilities. 

OPB was supposed to be OLB. I'm bad typing my phone lol

3 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Can people explain their Clay and Perry picks? I understand edge rush is important but I think we have multiple guys to rush the passer.

What’s Clay’s realistic ceiling this year? Not as high as Kenny Clark.

Perry, same as Clay. Not nearly as high Clark.

If Kenny Clark builds upon his work from the end of the year, he’s going to be a dominant DT which will take our D to the next level.

Kenny Clark is never going to be an elite pass rusher. He'll be a legitimate threat from the NT spot, but that's still a guy you have off the field on an ideal 3rd down

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kenny Clark is never going to be an elite pass rusher. He'll be a legitimate threat from the NT spot, but that's still a guy you have off the field on an ideal 3rd down

I think he has the potential to be a very good pass rusher for a DT. 4.5 sacks from week 13 on, ton of pressures from what I remember. Only 22 years old, his potential is through the roof.

6 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I think he has the potential to be a very good pass rusher for a DT. 4.5 sacks from week 13 on, ton of pressures from what I remember. Only 22 years old, his potential is through the roof.

What is your expected line from him this year? 6 sacks would be an awesome year from a BIG

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What is your expected line from him this year? 6 sacks would be an awesome year from a BIG

It wouldn’t shock me in the slightest. I remember him coming close to a bunch of sacks at the end of the year. I’m going to put him in the 6-8 range for this year. At the end of the year I think Clark becomes our undisputed best player on the D.

41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't want to misquote Pettine, but didn't he say something to the effect that he expects and wants more quarterback pressure from the interior? You know more about this than I do, but two-gapping was the norm for Capers'interior defensive line wasn't it? And that system controlled gaps rather than attacked them?

We're into "a little knowledge is dangerous" territory for me now. 

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

It wouldn’t shock me in the slightest. I remember him coming close to a bunch of sacks at the end of the year. I’m going to put him in the 6-8 range for this year. At the end of the year I think Clark becomes our undisputed best player on the D.

Even if Clark is our undisputed best player, he's still not the most important player on this defense. Positional value matters in this stuff.

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I don't want to misquote Pettine, but didn't he say something to the effect that he expects and wants more quarterback pressure from the interior? You know more about this than I do, but two-gapping was the norm for Capers'interior defensive line wasn't it? And that system controlled gaps rather than attacked them?

We're into "a little knowledge is dangerous" territory for me now. 

Every DC wants more interior pressure, Pettine devotes more frontline bodies to it than most.

There just seems to be this confusion that because we're looking for interior pressure that exterior pressure isn't more common and more important

Archived