NFL Suspends Bucs QB Jameis Winston for 3 Games

Dr LBC

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm not angry. I don't have a daughter in the Pittsburgh area so I'm good for right now.

And thus you have proven why the NFL will suspend Winston.  Perception is everything.  Please disregard any facts.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

And thus you have proven why the NFL will suspend Winston.  Perception is everything.  Please disregard any facts.

We don't even know if he did it. There are conflicting stories about pretty much every facet of the whole situation. Unless the NFL has more concrete evidence one way or the other AND shares it, we're all left to wonder and assume. 

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Darby was lying when he initially said there were three people in that uber ride? Seems like they were possibly trying to pin it on the third person…. who now we know was Banks who is serving time for rape. But because Banks is trying to appeal, no way he could take the fall for Winston here. Um yeah, not good at all. 

But how does the league only suspend him three weeks here? It's either he committed the crime or not. Should be six games or nothing. The league looks just as bad as Winston/Darby here. Well, maybe not Winston if he did commit the crime but bad nonetheless. 

They were saying that Jameis and the league have been in contact over the issue, and the league essentially docked it down to 3 games throughout the investigation as opposed to going through a 6 game appeal that’ll be lowered. Saves Jameis money too to avoid an appeal process.

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

They were saying that Jameis and the league have been in contact over the issue, and the league essentially docked it down to 3 games throughout the investigation as opposed to going through a 6 game appeal that’ll be lowered. Saves Jameis money too to avoid an appeal process.

Again, if he did it then he needs six games. If he didn't commit the crime than he shouldn't be suspended at all. How do you come to the conclusion of three games? For not being truthful about being alone in the uber ride? This isn't adding up. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again, if he did it then he needs six games. If he didn't commit the crime than he shouldn't be suspended at all. How do you come to the conclusion of three games? For not being truthful about being alone in the uber ride? This isn't adding up. 

The NFL doesn’t abide by the “if he didn’t commit the crime, then he shouldn’t be suspended at all” mantra. 

Havent read the thread, but I’m sure we’ve been through Big Ben, Greg Hardy, Tom Brady, Zeke Elliott, etc. The NFL will suspend you for being in a bad headline, whether or not you’re found guilty of the crime. 

It seemed like since he was cooperative and would appeal a 6, they gave him a 3 - where it wouldn’t financially make sense to appeal.

57 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The NFL doesn’t abide by the “if he didn’t commit the crime, then he shouldn’t be suspended at all” mantra. 

Havent read the thread, but I’m sure we’ve been through Big Ben, Greg Hardy, Tom Brady, Zeke Elliott, etc. The NFL will suspend you for being in a bad headline, whether or not you’re found guilty of the crime. 

It seemed like since he was cooperative and would appeal a 6, they gave him a 3 - where it wouldn’t financially make sense to appeal.

In the end, this is the point people have to just accept - the CBA allows the NFL to act to a different standard than a legal one.   It boils down to that.

It's royally dumb that the NFL also acts as its own appeal board, but the NFLPA agreed to it in the CBA.   Realistically, this should be a priority to change - but there are so many priorities that are even higher on the list (finding a way to guarantee more $, or shorten the team control time before players' careers end, getting a better post-NFL health plan, etc.), and other priorities that might be just as important (decriminalizing weed from the drug policy, anthem politics), I don't even know if this gets much traction...even though it would likely be a top item for CBA negotiations in pretty much any other sport.    Shows how team-friendly the current CBA is.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

In the end, this is the point people have to just accept - the CBA allows the NFL to act to a different standard than a legal one.   It boils down to that.

It's royally dumb that the NFL also acts as its own appeal board, but the NFLPA agreed to it in the CBA.   Realistically, this should be a priority to change - but there are so many priorities that are even higher on the list (finding a way to guarantee more $, or shorten the team control time before players' careers end, getting a better post-NFL health plan, etc.), and other priorities that might be just as important (decriminalizing weed from the drug policy, anthem politics), I don't even know if this gets much traction...even though it would likely be a top item for CBA negotiations in pretty much any other sport.    Shows how team-friendly the current CBA is.

The bolded is exactly why i think alot of people that complain about the way the NFL conducts itself with things like this need to chill. The players agreed to it...

Is it fair? No

But the players agreed to it. Whenever the next CBA happens they will definitely want a look at that but until then they are stuck.

43 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The bolded is exactly why i think alot of people that complain about the way the NFL conducts itself with things like this need to chill. The players agreed to it...

Is it fair? No

But the players agreed to it. Whenever the next CBA happens they will definitely want a look at that but until then they are stuck.

You're delusional if you think the players can do anything though. The average NFL career is 3 years so at least half of the league will fall into that category or lower and they can't strike for 1 or 2 years because they will lose their chance at their payday and even if it is under a million per year it will probably be a huge chunk of their career earnings in whatever field they end up in. The owners know this and have all of the leverage. So to blame the players for the actions of the owners (or commissioner if it makes you feel better but it's still the collective decision of the owners) is really silly and seems like you are just looking for someone to blame besides the people who are actually doing the thing you don't like.

In the next CBA the owners will say they are going to go to a 20 game season and will agree to keep it 16 if the players take everything they want off the board and it will be like every other CBA in that the owners will do whatever they want. This isn't MLB where the players can strike because the majority will have long enough careers to miss a year or two of paychecks and the owners know this and while it gets ugly it is still give and take. The NFL CBA is all take, the NFL doesn't give anything they really don't want to. You aren't getting a majority vote in the NFL because the majority have to look out for themselves because time isn't on their side.

23 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You're delusional if you think the players can do anything though. The average NFL career is 3 years so at least half of the league will fall into that category or lower and they can't strike for 1 or 2 years because they will lose their chance at their payday and even if it is under a million per year it will probably be a huge chunk of their career earnings in whatever field they end up in. The owners know this and have all of the leverage. So to blame the players for the actions of the owners (or commissioner if it makes you feel better but it's still the collective decision of the owners) is really silly and seems like you are just looking for someone to blame besides the people who are actually doing the thing you don't like.

In the next CBA the owners will say they are going to go to a 20 game season and will agree to keep it 16 if the players take everything they want off the board and it will be like every other CBA in that the owners will do whatever they want. This isn't MLB where the players can strike because the majority will have long enough careers to miss a year or two of paychecks and the owners know this and while it gets ugly it is still give and take. The NFL CBA is all take, the NFL doesn't give anything they really don't want to. You aren't getting a majority vote in the NFL because the majority have to look out for themselves because time isn't on their side.

OT but the NFLPA has a path to fight the CBA next round - by getting the players to build a war chest to survive a half-season strike for those 1M/year players.   It would require players to commit giving 10 percent (or whatever % it takes) of their take home salary (not the bonus the annual salary) for 2 seasons - and then paying all the guys the same during a strike (say 250k for the year) - and if no strike, players get their fees paid in back.   It means the min wage guys still lose some $ - but they have the will to survive half a season of lost games.   The outcry of missed games and pressure on owners to cave would give the NFLPA a better chance than with the status quo that you describe.   

Now that solution means the stars fund more of the war chest - but since the stars are the ones who reap the highest rewards the reasoning can be argued - and it would create unity across the board for the NFLPA.  It would take incredible foresight, vision and planning.  And great persuasion skills to convince young men to pay into a contingency fund.  Which is why it likely never happens.   The NFLPA has none of those qualities - which is why players revert to looking out for their own individual interests.   The NFLPA’s inability to create leverage and unity is a huge reason to the past & current CBA’s being so team-friendly.

On 6/22/2018 at 1:46 AM, Buc Ball said:

Winston was never charged with rape. Based on the evidence that’s out there in the public domain, in this case, there’s a strong argument that there was nothing to get away with.

Now if we’re arguing whether FSU or the local police dealt with the incident appropriately, then I think that’s a pretty definitive no, but a bad police investigation doesn’t necessarily mean he was guilty and could have impacted his chance to fully clear his name in the case.

That aside, he did some stupid stuff at FSU that proves he was very immature, but nothing that has repeated since he was drafted.

He tries too hard at times and puts himself out there. That gets you to the cringeworthy “eat a W” chat.

No at Florida state, there’s strong evidence to show it was poorly mishandled and key witnesses, (Ronald darby) are known to lie for their boys. 

9 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Lol, people are seriously complaining that someone who has been accused of rape, sexual assault, vandalism, and theft, and who isn’t even good at his job might get suspended. 

NFL players have FAR more protections than any normal job

This. I’m a life’s long die hard bucs fan and I can care less about wins and losses when it comes to serious matters like this. 

Given this clowns past from his freshman year to now, 3 games isn’t enough. 6 games and a release by the Bucs should be on the table since no legal action can be taken. 

He got away with the first accusation at Florida state. What goes around comes around. 

58 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

This. I’m a life’s long die hard bucs fan and I can care less about wins and losses when it comes to serious matters like this. 

Given this clowns past from his freshman year to now, 3 games isn’t enough. 6 games and a release by the Bucs should be on the table since no legal action can be taken

He got away with the first accusation at Florida state. What goes around comes around. 

And you've also been anti-Jameis since day one. ?

We don't even know the facts from the case. And are you sure about the bolded part?

9 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

And you've also been anti-Jameis since day one. ?

We don't even know the facts from the case. And are you sure about the bolded part?

You can “lol” all you want but he’s under the same accusations of why I didn’t want this knuckle head here, no? 

I suggest you watch the Michelle Beadle segment I posted on the Bucs forum. It may shed some light on what many think of his “not guilty verdict” 

And yes, he can never be tried again for the Kinsman allegations at FSU. 

15 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

You can “lol” all you want but he’s under the same accusations of why I didn’t want this knuckle head here, no? 

I suggest you watch the Michelle Beadle segment I posted on the Bucs forum. It may shed some light on what many think of his “not guilty verdict” 

And yes, he can never be tried again for the Kinsman allegations at FSU. 

But he's not in trouble for the FSU allegations. So legal action for that is irrelevant.

And public perception ≠ actual guilt/innocence.

Archived