NFL Suspends Bucs QB Jameis Winston for 3 Games

Dr LBC

My prediction is that Winston appeals (internally), and it goes down to 2 games.  

It sucks because I think the NO game is winnable being Week 1, but the key is to have Winston back for the home game vs. PIT.   

If it stays at 3 games, well, so much for my Tampa as one of the 5 teams who missed playoffs in 2017 to make it in 2018.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I didn't say they are, but let's be real here. He's smart enough to know that he's on a rookie deal and is going to get paid after, so he should serve the suspension now.

While I don't disagree that any sort of agent or business manager might strongly recommend this direction, look at this guy up to this point - he's basically been Teflon since his Freshman year at FSU. Rape charges, theft charges, general stupid actions on campus and no major punishment outside of a few suspensions. 

Getting away with it over and over and over again lends itself to an air of invincibility, and I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Winston thinks he could beat this rap, too.

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

While I don't disagree that any sort of agent or business manager might strongly recommend this direction, look at this guy up to this point - he's basically been Teflon since his Freshman year at FSU. Rape charges, theft charges, general stupid actions on campus and no major punishment outside of a few suspensions. 

Getting away with it over and over and over again lends itself to an air of invincibility, and I wouldn't be shocked in the least if Winston thinks he could beat this rap, too.

I highly doubt Winston thinks he's invincible given the PR that he's (deservedly) had as a college and pro athlete. Even if he did, this is elementary school math here. Thinking Winston will appeal is insulting his intelligence. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I highly doubt Winston thinks he's invincible given the PR that he's (deservedly) had as a college and pro athlete. Even if he did, this is elementary school math here. Thinking Winston will appeal is insulting his intelligence. 

What did that PR exactly accomplish, though? Guy won a Heisman, won a National Title, was the #1 pick in the NFL draft. That's the trifecta for a college QB if you think about it.

What was the consequences of his actions outside of a few thousand people ripping him on social media?

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

What did that PR exactly accomplish, though? Guy won a Heisman, won a National Title, was the #1 pick in the NFL draft. That's the trifecta for a college QB if you think about it.

What was the consequences of his actions outside of a few thousand people ripping him on social media?

He got dragged to a trial at Florida State where he had to hire a lawyer, for one. He had to drag himself in front of the entire country and let us know that he was an idiot who didn't mean what he said. I remember myself at 20, if you made me apologize to the entire country I'd probably find the nearest rooftop and jump off it. 

And by the way, I'm not even saying he's a changed guy. I'm just saying he's probably smart enough to realize that 3/16 of less than a million is a world apart from 3/16 of $20MM. You were the one who said he'd need an adviser, agent, or consultant.

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He's not expected to appeal.

Not even internally?   That's really surprising TBH.   The CBA allows him to appeal a decision within the NFL's appeal structure, and as long as he doesn't try to go the Brady/Elliott route and stretch this out in the courts, it would seem ripe to at least present his side to get a 1-game reduction, at the very least.

That Week 3 game at home is a major swing game - with Winston, that's a very winnable game.  Without him, and Fitzmagic in there...man, I dunno.   

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Not even internally?   That's really surprising TBH.   The CBA allows him to appeal a decision within the NFL's appeal structure, and as long as he doesn't try to go the Brady/Elliott route and stretch this out in the courts, it would seem ripe to at least present his side to get a 1-game reduction, at the very least.

That Week 3 game at home is a major swing game - with Winston, that's a very winnable game.  Without him, and Fitzmagic in there...man, I dunno.   

I don't know for sure. But the reports out now say he's expected to just take it.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't know for sure. But the reports out now say he's expected to just take it.

I think that’s smart re: court appeal.  It just seems like there is nothing to lose to present his case through the NFL appeal process even with basically a mea culpa.  

Archived