REDandPEWTER

Jamies Winston Suspended First Three Weeks

20 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

I think this is a key point in all this. It’s likely we’ll never know what happened and because of that, it all comes down to perception.

We don’t know why Winston won’t appeal. It could be for several reasons:

1) He’s guilty.

2) He doesn’t want to cause a further distraction for his team.

3) He knows he can’t win an appeal because he can’t prove he didn’t do it.

4) The NFL cut a deal with him to give him a lighter suspension in return for it not dragging on.

That’s just 4 I can think of and there could be many more. 

What’s not helpful here is the rape allegation that Winston was never even charged as a result of. The facts in that case are troubling from several perspectives, not least because bungled police and university investigations appear to have robbed either side of the chance to prove their case. 

Winston is a divisive character on the basis of this allegation and a narrative stemming from that allegation that doesn’t appear to be grounded in facts. What I think is telling about that allegation is that Winston didn’t back down in the civil case - it was apparently settled with no costs being passed to the accuser. The documentary is also very one sided and bears no resemblance to the police reports or the information on the case available in the public domain.

The unfortunate truth is that, regardless of what happened at FSU, people will think Winston was guilty of that allegation. The point is, he’ll always be linked to that allegation because the police and university don’t appear to have acted properly in this case. If they had, maybe he’d be in jail. Or maybe his name would be clear.

That gets us to our current outcome. The perception is Winston was accused before, therefore he must be guilty here, even though he was never charged. That’s the narrative that’s out there and that’s the narrative that the NFL needs to respond to.

There’s no benefit of the doubt available to Winston particularly, nor is the league in a position to give anyone the benefit of the doubt in cases of this nature.

The way forward for the league is probably to link the suspension process to actual criminal charges/ convictions and have this administered by an independent body (NFLDA?) who takes it out the hands of the NFL. The news cycle, quest for content and the number of “reporters” leads to massive media pressure - something that influences the NFL to act. In the interests of respecting due process, these decisions should be out of the NFL’s hands.

Overall, a three game suspension is not sufficient if Winston is guilty. The NFL surely can’t have enough evidence to take a definitive view on what happened, otherwise he would and should be looking at much, much longer.

Hopefully this report comes out soon and we actually find out what evidence there is. I also hope this prompts people to look at Uber’s handling of the situation and whether they provided the accuser with the appropriate support.

For me, what is guilty in today s society.  In this case, Winston won't face criminal or civil charges.  Is it the NFL s job to investigate a possible criminal matter, when the police were not notified?  Whatever their findings, why should we as a society view them as impartial or just, whether Winston is the scum bag many believe him to be or reasonable doubt to what happened.  The league is motivated by money, not pursuit of the truth.

The factors for me are this. 

1. If you’re not guilty, fight it immediately. If he doesn’t fight it, why give up ? 

2. If it proves that Darby indeed lied along with Jameis, then Something is very fishy. To me, it shows you’re hiding something. 

Then I would ask, how reliable was darby when he backed Jameis at FSU? 

Look how long Elliotts situation dragged out. In the end Zeke bit the bullet and sat. Winston signs a $20-30,000,000 per year extension this offseason and sits three games next year how much will that cost him compared to this year? 

If Darby did lie why is he not being punished?

I'm not here to defend Winston but it's know around the world that the NFL is a complete joke when it comes to investigations and handing out punishments etc. 

57 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

Look how long Elliotts situation dragged out. In the end Zeke bit the bullet and sat. Winston signs a $20-30,000,000 per year extension this offseason and sits three games next year how much will that cost him compared to this year? 

If Darby did lie why is he not being punished?

I'm not here to defend Winston but it's know around the world that the NFL is a complete joke when it comes to investigations and handing out punishments etc. 

Well Zeke didpunch a DJ and ripped off a woman’s top at a club against her will along with the accusation. 

The nfl also cannot be naive especially in cases like Reuben Foster and Greg Hardy where miraculously the victims didn’t show up or changed their tune late in the investigation. 

Players may pay off the victims to change their story or drop the accusation or say they lied as well. 

Its a difficult subject that needs 200% thorough investigation. 

I agree that Darby should be punished as well for lying but the main culprit is winston here again. Why is he under another sexual misconduct accusation?

36 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Well Zeke didpunch a DJ and ripped off a woman’s top at a club against her will along with the accusation. 

The nfl also cannot be naive especially in cases like Reuben Foster and Greg Hardy where miraculously the victims didn’t show up or changed their tune late in the investigation. 

Players may pay off the victims to change their story or drop the accusation or say they lied as well. 

Its a difficult subject that needs 200% thorough investigation. 

I agree that Darby should be punished as well for lying but the main culprit is winston here again. Why is he under another sexual misconduct accusation?

The lead investigator who was female  recommended no suspension for Elliott because of the lack of credibility of the accuser.   Clearly, the NFL is only interested in PR as opposed to any normal standard of guilt or innocence in accordance to state or federal laws.  The players have no ability to get their suspensions over turned because the appeal goes back to the guy who came up with suspension.  The union s leadership collectively bargained this component so the courts won't touch this authority. If I m a player why would I want to incur legal fees as well as game checks to try and get my name cleared in the sliding scale of guilt or innocence of the NFL with the way Article 47 is written.  I would be more concerned about clearing my name in accordance to the law if needed and using resources accordingly.   The league is only concerned about PR, nothing more.  

Edited by ravishingone

What goes against winstons credibility here is that his side of the story found lies from darby and winstons statements, Darby being the key witness. Banks refutes Darby’s story and the accuracy , per known reports over the last 6 days, has shown on par with The victims. 

If you’re found lying in this situation, I smell there is a cover up for guilt. 

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

About what I expected, the final piece will be a leaking of the report.  I really doubt the Glazers mandate to cut him.  

Basically this scumbag admitted guilt. And he only got three games? The nfl got it wrong. The Bucs can get it right. Release him. 

Pretty well sums up where the process is at.  I still believe he will not be released especially now knowing the official report wont be made public.  Just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Pretty well sums up where the process is at.  I still believe he will not be released especially now knowing the official report wont be made public.  Just my opinion.

So an apology to the driver for his actions and detailed report released doesn’t do it for you? 

My only question is, why did the league not give him six? 

16 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Basically this scumbag admitted guilt. And he only got three games? The nfl got it wrong. The Bucs can get it right. Release him. 

I'm glad to see fans taking this stance. Dude is a piece of crap. and yes, 3 games is ridiculous. Players get 4 games for PED violations. This dude touched/assaulted another human being. Bucs at the very least need to take a stand and at the VERY LEAST increase the suspension in house. If I am the Glazer's, I would have been telling the GM to get rid of him while he was at the podium.

Also, guys, please understand I have no ill will against your team. I know we are division rivals, but the Bucs are the only team I actually like in the South besides the Saints. I am not wanting horrible things to happen to your team. I felt horrible for the Falcons during the whole Vick situation and then Petrino leaving them high and dry. And I hate the Falcons. I just personally can't stand Winston as a person. I hope you guys make the right call.