End of an era - Akron Rubber Bowl coming down

brooks1957

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Then why tear it down at all?

“Hey guys, we’re gonna implode half this stadium and leave the other half intact to make the community better.”

60%, get it right.

I didn't read/watch anything about this but I would have probably avoided any kind of media if possible, it just sounds embarrassing.

27 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

60%, get it right.

I didn't read/watch anything about this but I would have probably avoided any kind of media if possible, it just sounds embarrassing.

Agreed, sounds like a bunch of goobers with nothing to do and extra explosives.

Taxpayers should be thrilled if this is being done on the public dime.

I am sure that in time, the engineers will figure out a way to either safely remove the final 40%, or work around it to re purpose that real estate. There is no way the responsible thing to do was to do nothing and allow the structure to continue to decay until it is in more danger of collapsing in on itself - or worse yet; someone who was not supposed to be there in the first place gets hurt or killed on the property.

I guarantee you a blank piece of real estate is much more desirable to a redeveloper and safer to the current owner.

3 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

I am sure that in time, the engineers will figure out a way to either safely remove the final 40%, or work around it to re purpose that real estate. There is no way the responsible thing to do was to do nothing and allow the structure to continue to decay until it is in more danger of collapsing in on itself - or worse yet; someone who was not supposed to be there in the first place gets hurt or killed on the property.

I guarantee you a blank piece of real estate is much more desirable to a redeveloper and safer to the current owner.

Don’t those same concerns exist with the remaining 40%, which has now been through an implosion and I’m sure less structurally sound than before?

10 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Both. I rarely have a clue when it comes to my work though.

Working on a project in the area.....but it hasn’t been officially submitted.

the city is trying their hardest to make this location more desirable.....

Nothing says desirable like a half demolished stadium.

Im actually pitching it as Overflow seating for derby downs....

They are facing that general direction.

Also could be spectator seating for any city activity due to this large lot being wide open.

The stairs aren't going anywhere if not for demo.  The rest of the stadium was the structural issue.  This retaining wall is most likely solid and structurally sound.

Archived