49ers and Laken Tomlinson Agree to a Three year Extension

49erurtaza

So will be on the team for at least two more years. I guess Lynch wasn't lying about the team trying to sign him to an extension. I'm meh on the move, played better late in the year but overall was pretty bad like the rest of the interior OL.

Meh, I mean, okay. Honestly, I'm glad to have it done. Guard was going to be a bit problematic next year if both he and Cooper were free agents and Garnett is already gone (as I suspect he will be). I hope that his improvement last year was based on him getting more comfortable in the scheme, gelling with the rest of the line, etc, and not just because we installed Jimmy as quarterback. From an AAV perspective, we gave him as much as Joel Bitonio, which is a little crazy lol. But obviously the deal is much shorter (3 to 6) with less guaranteed (though Bitonio's guaranteed money is pretty low for a 6 year deal). The fact that it's a "max" 18 means he's probably not likely to hit it. This deal doesn't bother me whatsoever. It just kind of is. 

I'm good with it. Still much to prove, but he should be getting better while sandwiched between excellent C and T.  I like the building of continuity along the OL. Now, just need to get the best possible out of RG, and Jimmy G will FEAST. 

( who we kiddin', Jimmy G feasts regardless ) :P 

17 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

With so much cap room still (and no pressure to re-sign T.Brown) this is a good call. 

I'd take this deal 10x over signing Iupati to the deal he got a few years back. 

That deal wasn't a huge issue in my opinion - obviously more of a commitment, but I think on the surface it wasn't a bad deal for a player of his caliber and I would have been perfectly fine giving that type of player that deal. The problem with Iupati is that he was already somewhat injury plagued at that point. He was always getting banged up. You could see the writing on the wall in that contract not aging well at all. But in a vacuum, I'd rather sign someone as good as Iupati for his deal than sign a lower level player like Tomlinson for this deal, especially when money isn't an issue. Comparing those two specifically, I'd agree with you though, just because you knew that Iupati was going to have issues staying healthy. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

I'm good with it. Still much to prove, but he should be getting better while sandwiched between excellent C and T.  I like the building of continuity along the OL. Now, just need to get the best possible out of RG, and Jimmy G will FEAST. 

( who we kiddin', Jimmy G feasts regardless ) :P 

Yep. He has a long way to go still, but I have faith in what Shanahan sees in him. He was a good prospect. And  I think he might just be a late bloomer who is in a favorable scheme with Jimmy G.  

Seems fine. He played better towards the end of the year, but was awful at the start.  However, he was also acquired during the season so he was facing a huge uphill battle too. Going to be an interesting TC with the 3 first rounders battling it out. 

Archived