Biggest Sleeper

onejayhawk

The question was posed on  Arrowhead Pride Radio. The panel's answers were Chris Conley, Chris Jones, Steven Nelson, all worthy candidates IMO. https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/6/22/17494050/who-is-the-biggest-sleeper-on-the-2018-chiefs

Let me flesh things out. Sleeper is a player that non-Chiefs fans and media have low expectations, but who will perform at a high level. In 2017 the correct answer was Kareem Hunt.

I think all three of the panel's answers play it safe. Conley is WR3. Unless there is an injury, how much can he do? Chris Jones might do it, but the deck is stacked against him. 3-4 DL don't generate the sack numbers that get recognition. Nelson is the best name of the three. He could take over at CB opposite Kendall Fuller. I want to name a player that grabs headlines and has people wondering why they never heard of him.

I am going to throw out two rookies--Dorian o'Daniel and Tremon Smith. I expect both of them to shine with the new KO coverage rules. O'Daniel has a reputation for superior ST from Clemson. Smith is one of the few guys in the NFL that might beat Tyreek Hill in the 100 meters. Also, both have a reputation for being ball-thirsty. When they play regular defense, it will likely be in a leveraged situation, where there is potential for high profile turnovers.

J

My gut feeling is Armani Watts. Aside from last year, one thing I think Sutton's defense has done a very good job with in KC, is that we've had a revolving door of role playing safeties all be very successful. To the point where like 3 or 4 straight years our #3 or #2 S was getting signed to a contract we couldn't match elsewhere. But we've had Lewis, Abdullah, Parker, Branch, Coleman, Demps, and Sorensen all be successful to varying degrees as #2, #3, or #4 safeties. Pretty much all guys with a limited or one sided skill set who we were able to get the most out of due to a mix of scheme and Eric Berry. And I feel like Watts is a very good fit to fill the kind of role that Demps did in 2013 and Parker has done much of the time since, where he's not the greatest tackler nor particularly skilled in the box, but he has the speed/instincts/ball skills to be the last line of the defense kind of guy. And this is his natural role a bit more than Parker, too. But I feel like he could be a surprisingly solid deep safety right out of the gate, letting us unleash Berry in the box and get Sorensen back more part time than he was last year.

Archived