Philadelphia Eagles: Dynasty In The Making?

Nex_Gen

Dynasty is a strong word in today's era of football. While we have one standing in it's twilight in the Patriots, could it be possible there is already another one next in line? I can't help but think so with the Philadelphia Eagles. Most teams coming off Super Bowl wins are usually leeched off of their resources/foundation, whether by important personnel members, assistant coaches or key Free Agent players. Yet you look at this team coming off of their impressive championship run, and they improved even more with acquisitions of players you didn't even think they could make. How did they do it? They had the cap space, because the nucleus of this team are a bunch of young players still on rookie contracts, the most important being possibly the best player on the team, playing the most important position in Carson Wentz. Including the likes of Hicks, Ajayi, Johnson, Clement and Agholor, complimented by fairly priced veteran members like Jenkins, Cox, Long, McLeod, Peters, Bradham, Kelce, Jeffery etc. This team got even better with the acquisitions of Bennett, Ngata, Wallace and they get back who looked like the real MVP of the NFL last season in Carson Wentz. Doug Pederson proved last year he has mastered the game in all phases, showing no fear or hesitation in the biggest moments on the biggest stage. He has this team behind him going full steam. You don't realize how young and talented this team is. Stockpiled with depth in all the right areas (OL, DL, WR, DB), a potential franchise/elite young QB in the making, elite/true LT in Peters, complimentary core of RBs to lean on, and the veteran/moral leadership provided by guys like Jenkins, Long, Kelce and Cox. Everything seems to be in place. Set up for the long run. This team is scary from top to bottom right now. And it looks like it's going to stay that way for a while....

It’s so damn hard to build an actual dynasty like the Pats in this era. What we have seen with them will be very rare. First comparison would be GB after they won their SB. Young franchise QB with a great defense. Well that fell apart rather quickly with injuries and the defense regressing. Another example would be Seattle. Young franchise QB with an elite defense. Like GB, they would stay consistent but they would never be able to win that second ring. Seattle obviously came closer then GB. My point, after they both won the SB, everyone saw a potential dynasty and it ultimately didn’t happen. Why? Because it’s so damn hard to win multiple Super Bowls in this era because of the salary cap and free agency. Philadelphia has a terrific young team with a young franchise QB that I think will easily be top 5 from here on out so it’s onviously possible. Expecting it though, that’s where I run into my issue. 

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

My point, after they both won the SB, everyone saw a potential dynasty and it ultimately didn’t happen. Why? Because it’s so damn hard to win multiple Super Bowls in this era because of the salary cap and free agency. 

It's harder now, no denying that, but it really always has been hard. A big bonus for the Eagles is that they have a proven talent evaluator in the front office, a guy with a proven track record. As everybody has been cautioning; we'll have to wait and see. 

You never know, but the one thing the Eagles have over other teams mentioned is Howie Roseman. The guy is such a wiz with the cap and just looks at roster building in such a unique way. He'll keep the Eagles in the conversation for the forseeable future. Whether that translates to more Super Bowls is almost impossible to predict.

But Brady and BB will breakup sooner than later and someone will fill that void. Here's to it being the Eagles. 

Has Carson Wentz been paid yet? No? Then the answer is no.

Eagles fans - not on here - kept taking digs at Cowboys fans online mentioning all their injuries and how their franchise QB was the cherry on top and yet they still won the Super Bowl. They continually asked "What's your excuse." What immediately sprang to my mind, and was true, was that "My franchise QB has won 2 Super Bowls and is compensated as such, which drastically impacts the cheap and fair contracts we can get other guys on." Once Wentz gets paid we'll see how things go. We said the same thing about the Seahawks before them and the Giants before them.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

They have about as good a chance as the 2010 Packers or the 2013 Seahawks had. 

Probably so and we saw how they never got their 2nd. Wentz coming back from the injury will be key as they won't be able to keep both Foles/Wentz. I dont want to sound like I'm discrediting the Eagles chances but the salary cap era makes it so freaking hard to keep a team together and make a dynasty

Help me out here- I am no cap expert, and clearly I don't understand-

Over The Cap lists the Eagles' top 51 for 2019 having a cap liability of roughly 218,000,000.  That says to me their cap situation is not healthy, and they will need to shed cap at some point.  Not a good situation for a budding dynasty.

How is this wrong?  What am I missing?

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

They have about as good a chance as the 2010 Packers or the 2013 Seahawks had. 

Oh no, not at all. The Packers were mismanaged and couldn't consistently put a good defense or running game on the field. Schneider and the Seahawks decided to break the bank on that awesome defense and thought it would be fine to go that route. Roseman has been putting together good teams for a really long time now. The Eagles have a much better chance of a being a dynasty than those other teams did. 

45 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

We said the same thing about the Seahawks before them and the Giants before them.

The...Giants? O.o

37 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Oh no, not at all. The Packers were mismanaged and couldn't consistently put a good defense or running game on the field. Schneider and the Seahawks decided to break the bank on that awesome defense and thought it would be fine to go that route. Roseman has been putting together good teams for a really long time now. The Eagles have a much better chance of a being a dynasty than those other teams did. 

That doesn’t make any sense. Nobody knew the Packers would lose guys to injury and not be able to rebuild the roster in 2010. Nobody knew Seattle’s draft success would plummet and they’d struggle to fill holes in 2013. You’re using what happened to the Seahawks/Packers as proof that the Eagles have a “much better chance” when the Eagles haven’t proven otherwise. Doesn’t make sense. 

And if Roseman is suddenly a top GM - thus immune to the mistakes of Thompson and Schneider - you’re probably forgetting the praise those two as elite GMs received back then.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Help me out here- I am no cap expert, and clearly I don't understand-

Over The Cap lists the Eagles' top 51 for 2019 having a cap liability of roughly 218,000,000.  That says to me their cap situation is not healthy, and they will need to shed cap at some point.  Not a good situation for a budding dynasty.

How is this wrong?  What am I missing?

20 million comes off the books pretty much immediately when we release Nick Foles after this season. We have plenty of players to unload this coming off season. (Jernigan due to his injury is likely)

WJZ74dU.png

That said, We have pretty much until Carson gets paid to try and win in all honesty, that's 2 more seasons. Adding to the above list of cuts. Chris Long is also probably gone after this season. Chris Maragos and Isaac Seumalo, bringing us to $23 million in cap space. Howie Roseman is a wizard and will be able to probably make that $23 million effectively $43 million to use next off season. I almost forgot we can still restructure players like Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz, hell doing that takes us to $35 Million in cap space. We'll be fine.

Archived