Which Team(s) Got Worse This Offseason?

JaguarCrazy2832

16 hours ago, Crickett said:

They have made a serious effort to stop it.  The Seahawks has drafted offensive with two of their top three picks all but one year since Wilson was drafted.  The problem isn't effort, the problem is they're just not very good at stopping it.  Whatever magic they used to be able to get mid to late round draft steals early in Pete Carroll's tenure as Seahawks head coach has completely worn off. 

Yea they have made some interesting draft moves but it was fine because they had the legion of boom and a smash mouth offense with a great young QB but now the cupboard is somewhat bare. Just looking at the first few picks of the last few years, it has been rough going that way. 

On 7/11/2018 at 4:55 PM, Boltstrikes said:

I have nothing against the Raiders from a talent standpoint. Their roster is good. Gruden though could set that franchise back. I’m not a fan of the hire. I’m not a fan of bringing people years into retirement our of it. Brand new stadium in Las Vegas and they need to be moving forward. 

Do you seriously think the coaching staff brought in isn't better than JDR's?

Edgar Bennett is a respected WR coach from Green Bay, ditto for Trgovac, who is light years better than Jethro, who didn't really develop our DL at all. Ansley is unproven, but at least came from Bama where corners were good. Guenther is a good DC, based on Cincy and working under Zimmer. Jemal Singleton got a lot out of Indy's backfield last year. Cable is iffy, but our line is already good.

I'm seeing a lot more from those guys than most of our staff last year. The big unknown is Gruden's playcalling, but its hard to see him being worse than Downing last year. 

He is unretiring, but what's the general consensus with the concern around him. I know Gruden bashing is super trendy, but the dude works hard, knows the game, and is attacking the roster at all positions.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:41 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Do you seriously think the coaching staff brought in isn't better than JDR's?

Edgar Bennett is a respected WR coach from Green Bay, ditto for Trgovac, who is light years better than Jethro, who didn't really develop our DL at all. Ansley is unproven, but at least came from Bama where corners were good. Guenther is a good DC, based on Cincy and working under Zimmer. Jemal Singleton got a lot out of Indy's backfield last year. Cable is iffy, but our line is already good.

I'm seeing a lot more from those guys than most of our staff last year. The big unknown is Gruden's playcalling, but its hard to see him being worse than Downing last year. 

He is unretiring, but what's the general consensus with the concern around him. I know Gruden bashing is super trendy, but the dude works hard, knows the game, and is attacking the roster at all positions.

All of what you just said is what I said when we brought in Norv Turner. I don't think they are absolutely worse then JDR and Co. Its merely a could be. There isn't a guaranteed result here. Gruden is a roll of the dice. Do you get someone that is in touch with the game or do you get someone that isn't still on cutting edge of the game? I don't know. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

All of what you just said is what I said when we brought in Norv Turner. I don't think they are absolutely worse then JDR and Co. Its merely a could be. There isn't a guaranteed result here. Gruden is a roll of the dice. Do you get someone that is in touch with the game or do you get someone that isn't still on cutting edge of the game? I don't know. We'll see.

All the coordinators and positional coaches I mentioned are worse than the prior staff? Seriously?

Gruden aside, there's a lot that goes into coaching a team, mainly the coordinators/support staff. AFC West bias aside, I have a hard time believing you think our old staff is better than this one, when many of our now fired coaches haven't had much NFL success and these new ones have in the past.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2018 at 8:41 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

He’s definitely attacking the roster. It wasn’t just a trend to bash Gruden, Dinosaurs are extinct for a reason. 

Since Ice Cube is a fan of the Raiders and he had a song back in day called "It Was A Good Day". For Raiders fans "It Was A Bad Day". A long NFL season just got longer. 

I told my friend that you know what happens when a great offense meets a bad defense? 7-9, 7-9, 7-9. He immediately knew what I was talking about because the Saints suffered with Brees and Payton for those years with a great offense and a bad defense. They had to either force a ton of turnovers or win 42-41 type games. I am not going to confuse the Raiders offense with the Saints, I am just saying it doesnt matter how good the Raiders offense is, if there defense is crappy expect at best 7-9 until the defense gets fixed. Losing Mack certainly dont help that. Oh by the way, the Raiders defense was bad last season, their record was 8-10 which is around 7-9. So again expect similar results until the defense gets fixed.

If the only thing you are thinking about is the 2018 season then yes, the Raiders have just ensured that they have had the worst offseason this year.  But I really think the Mack trade could set this franchise up brilliantly for the long term.  They will now be able to bring in a ton of top talent through the next two drafts, and that talent will be had on the cheap as well which is key.  Had they spent the $143 million on Mack that the Bears just did it would've hamstrung them for a long time.  I dunno, its always impossible to accurately predict massive moves like this and the effect they will have far into the future, but I can tell you as a Falcons fan (who certainly could've used a guy like Mack) I would NEVER have considered giving TWO first round picks for him, much less $143 million!  That is just insane to me!

9 hours ago, megatechpc said:

If the only thing you are thinking about is the 2018 season then yes, the Raiders have just ensured that they have had the worst offseason this year.  But I really think the Mack trade could set this franchise up brilliantly for the long term.  They will now be able to bring in a ton of top talent through the next two drafts, and that talent will be had on the cheap as well which is key.  Had they spent the $143 million on Mack that the Bears just did it would've hamstrung them for a long time.  I dunno, its always impossible to accurately predict massive moves like this and the effect they will have far into the future, but I can tell you as a Falcons fan (who certainly could've used a guy like Mack) I would NEVER have considered giving TWO first round picks for him, much less $143 million!  That is just insane to me!

The thing is though there is no real precedent in modern day NFL for anything like this. No one ever takes a guy drafted in the Top-5, who proves himself to be one of the best pass rushers in the game and also has a decade left of his career to be possibly a HOFer. Thats just insane to me

13 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The thing is though there is no real precedent in modern day NFL for anything like this. No one ever takes a guy drafted in the Top-5, who proves himself to be one of the best pass rushers in the game and also has a decade left of his career to be possibly a HOFer. Thats just insane to me

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves by labeling Mack a future HOFer (I know you said possibly but I've still seen that opinion thrown around way too liberally).  He has had 3 great seasons in a short 4-year career thus far, but nothing absolutely mind blowing either IMO.  The DPOY in 2016 is constantly brought up as a reason he's so great but he finished with 4.5 sacks less than the sack leader that season and I think his pick-6 was really overvalued in the determination of winning that award (as was the Raiders season that year in which they were constantly hyped as the biggest story of 2016).  The fact that the Raiders had a poor defense surrounding him shouldn't be dismissed however. 

I think Mack is in the top-10 of defenders in the league right now (can't forget all the other positional superstars out there) and I don't personally expect any kind of huge drop-off in his production (which would probably make him a HOFer if he plays 10+ seasons), but its not like I'd be stunned if he managed only 7-8 sacks in Chicago this year either.  It will be interesting to see what his effort level is this year after having gotten his money and going to a new team. 

All I'm saying is that saying they are already making his bust in Canton after 3 great seasons may be a bit premature.  Von Miller to me is still the greatest at that position right now and he has done it for longer with more success.  That said, if Mack's presence truly turns the Bears around this season and he turns in a 15+ sack performance while becoming the undisputed leader of that defense, I will have to seriously admit I was wrong and that he is deserving of all the praise that gets heaped on him.

3 hours ago, megatechpc said:

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves by labeling Mack a future HOFer (I know you said possibly but I've still seen that opinion thrown around way too liberally).  He has had 3 great seasons in a short 4-year career thus far, but nothing absolutely mind blowing either IMO.  The DPOY in 2016 is constantly brought up as a reason he's so great but he finished with 4.5 sacks less than the sack leader that season and I think his pick-6 was really overvalued in the determination of winning that award (as was the Raiders season that year in which they were constantly hyped as the biggest story of 2016).  The fact that the Raiders had a poor defense surrounding him shouldn't be dismissed however. 

I think Mack is in the top-10 of defenders in the league right now (can't forget all the other positional superstars out there) and I don't personally expect any kind of huge drop-off in his production (which would probably make him a HOFer if he plays 10+ seasons), but its not like I'd be stunned if he managed only 7-8 sacks in Chicago this year either.  It will be interesting to see what his effort level is this year after having gotten his money and going to a new team. 

All I'm saying is that saying they are already making his bust in Canton after 3 great seasons may be a bit premature.  Von Miller to me is still the greatest at that position right now and he has done it for longer with more success.  That said, if Mack's presence truly turns the Bears around this season and he turns in a 15+ sack performance while becoming the undisputed leader of that defense, I will have to seriously admit I was wrong and that he is deserving of all the praise that gets heaped on him.

Considering Terrell Davis got in for 3 good seasons, it's really not that far fetched that Mack could get in if he retired today.

With that being said, I think he will be in the HOF when it is all said and done.

34 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Considering Terrell Davis got in for 3 good seasons, it's really not that far fetched that Mack could get in if he retired today.

With that being said, I think he will be in the HOF when it is all said and done.

Terrell Davis got over 2k yards rushing in a season and was directly responsible for them winning a couple SB's.  That said, I'd guess he'll get in if he continues the pace hes on, but hes no HOFer right now.  Plenty of guys avg 10 sacks a year.

Archived