Raising the Barr even higher!

swede700

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It is great we kept Barr, I hope we use him more in pass rush roles potentially than we did in the past.  Apparently was going to be more of a pass rusher with the Jets if he would have left, would like to see him get after it more often.  Not sure where they are getting this money from, keeping Harrison, Hunter, Kendricks, Rhodes and now Barr.  That D better show up and play a lot better than it did last season.  

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It is great we kept Barr, I hope we use him more in pass rush roles potentially than we did in the past.  Apparently was going to be more of a pass rusher with the Jets if he would have left, would like to see him get after it more often.  Not sure where they are getting this money from, keeping Harrison, Hunter, Kendricks, Rhodes and now Barr.  That D better show up and play a lot better than it did last season.  

I’m sure the D will look significantly better once our offensive line improves.  If our offense can sustain drives and get an occasional lead that should help greatly.

14 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I’m sure the D will look significantly better once our offensive line improves.  If our offense can sustain drives and get an occasional lead that should help greatly.

I guess the contract has big time pass rush incentives so hopefully they rush Barr more than they have in the past.  Starting LBs should be Kendricks, Wilson and Barr and allow Barr to be more of a hybrid DE instead of Griffen always out there.  Then could play nickel but also drop Barr at times as well.  True the offense did not help the D especially early in the season, but they did flat out underachieve last year, sure had a ton of injuries in the secondary but still on paper they should be one of the best defensive units in the league and they were not last year.  Got Stephens back which is nice, I was not a huge fan or Richardson last year, probably not worth the cash but DT or DE still have to be addressed in the draft potentially.

With little Kirky boy at QB I doubt they become a power run team but will see how they draft, hopefully it will not become a finesse offensive line.  That misdirection, pass often and tempo did not work with DeFilipo that is for sure and hurt the team overall.  

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Better than giving $13.5M to the 65th best linebacker. 

No not really when he’s been misused his entire career. Everyone was like see ya when Kwon’s numbers hit. Now everyone’s like this is cool he good. Smh

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I guess the contract has big time pass rush incentives so hopefully they rush Barr more than they have in the past.  Starting LBs should be Kendricks, Wilson and Barr and allow Barr to be more of a hybrid DE instead of Griffen always out there.  Then could play nickel but also drop Barr at times as well.  True the offense did not help the D especially early in the season, but they did flat out underachieve last year, sure had a ton of injuries in the secondary but still on paper they should be one of the best defensive units in the league and they were not last year.  Got Stephens back which is nice, I was not a huge fan or Richardson last year, probably not worth the cash but DT or DE still have to be addressed in the draft potentially.

With little Kirky boy at QB I doubt they become a power run team but will see how they draft, hopefully it will not become a finesse offensive line.  That misdirection, pass often and tempo did not work with DeFilipo that is for sure and hurt the team overall.  

We don’t need to be a power run team. Cook can catch the ball out of the backfield. We just need not to suck at the LOS so teams believe that we can run if we want too. We got behind in important games last year and got game scripted out.

21 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

We don’t need to be a power run team. Cook can catch the ball out of the backfield. We just need not to suck at the LOS so teams believe that we can run if we want too. We got behind in important games last year and got game scripted out.

True, but Cook clearly cannot stay healthy for a season and might struggle in short yardage.  They need another RB and could draft one,  Boone could be a short yardage guy but not totally sold on him yet.  I think they need to run the ball and control the clock, many defenses need that to be successful and play complementary football.  And we got behind because again the defense to me was not up to bar for a variety of reasons.  

I would not mind a guy like Damien Harris in the 3rd or 4th round, or Jordan Scarlett in the 4th, 6th round or 7th round, same with Alexander Mattison, Qadree Ollison, Reggie Gallaspy, LJ Scott or Alex Barnes.  Sure it is fun for some to just throw the ball around but that rarely helps your defense out or wins football games.  Have to run the ball and yes that does mean much improved OL play which is probably most important but also backs that can take the load.  Wonder what they do with Abdullah who is a good back when healthy but not a power guy of course.  

Th the thing that I like the most about the structure of Barr’s contract, is the it is set up in a way that essentially keeps the carrot in front of the horse. 

One of my biggest concerns about paying Barr big money, is that he’s going to be one of those guys who “coasts” once he’s been paid. This contract not only keeps some incentive for Barr each year, but there pretty good protection for the Vikings as well. 

On 3/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, PrplChilPill said:

Which great teams are built around running the ball and ball control?

Go ask the New England Patriots how they won their most recent Super Bowl.  Running the football and playing good defense.  That is also what the Ravens did with a pretty sub bar QB this year and they still got to the Playoffs.  That is also what Seattle did Chicago to a certain degree, Buffalo did it two years ago for a Playoff run, Dallas is trying to do it, Washington did it this past year and Indianapolis did as well leading to the playoff run.  Granted the Patriots, Colts and Seahawks all have better QBs than our crap QB so that helps as well.

Archived