Raising the Barr even higher!

swede700

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I understand that Diggs is a great talent, but I still prefer the following order:

Hunter = Early camp

Barr = late camp (bring the cap $ down)

Richardson = late 2018 season (assuming production is good)

Diggs = beginning 2019 offseason

Waynes = not retained

It could happen like that but the reason for signing Barr late camp wouldn't be to bring the cap number down this year IMO. There is no compelling reason to bring his cap number down this year. Perhaps if his new contract has a lower average cap number than he is scheduled to make this year but it seems unlikely to me that Barr would sign such a deal. 

I do agree that Richardson is the most likely of the group to get an in season extension. It would be dependent on his production and desire. Extending him during the season would be reminiscent of the Alshon Jeffery deal with the Eagles.

The team should know as much as they need to know about the other guys before the season starts to know if they want to sign them before the season or wait until after the season and reassess. 

Barr's cap number this year won't go down if he signs an extension. 

Last two Vikings to sign extensions heading into a 5th year option (Rhodes in 2017, Smith in 2016) had their extensions start the following year (6th year after they were drafted). Even after signing extensions, they were given the same guaranteed salary in year 5 as they were due to receive anyway on the rookie contract 5th year option. The signing bonus for the extension was prorated starting a year early, in that 5th year though the extension technically didn't kick in until year 6, which kicked the cap number in those 5th years up by the prorated amount for their signing bonus: $2M (Smith's signing bonus was $10M) and $2.4M (Rhodes' was $12M). 

I believe the Vikings would've had the option to rip up the 5th year of Barr's rookie deal and replace it with an extension starting in 2018, but only if that deal had been done before the league year started in early March (at which point the option year became guaranteed). 

I know the Vikings value the 5th year options and I'm sure they don't want to set a precedent of ripping up the 5th year, which is generally team friendly for any player they'd care to extend long term. 

So Barr's 2018 cap number after an extension probably starts with his current number ($12.3M) and increases by his signing bonus divided by 5 (to prorate it). Kendricks got $50M/5 with $10M guaranteed, and Barr realistically will get more than that (draft position, Pro Bowls), so a conservative guess for his cap number post-extension would be an increase of $2-3M (implying a signing bonus of $10-15M), not a decrease. 

His cap number can then decrease in 2019-20, if the deal is structured with a lower salary in those years (plus the prorated signing bonus each year), with the cap number then rising later in the deal (2021 onward), at which point the dead money cap hit from releasing or trading him would be minimal, allowing the team to renegotiate if he hadn't met the expectations for performance that come with that contract. 

• 1 month later...

It’s unclear if the Vikings will give linebacker Anthony Barr a contract extension that keeps him in Minnesota beyond the 2018 season, but coach Mike Zimmer said on Friday that the team won’t be sending him somewhere else before the final year of his current deal is up. During a Friday media session, Zimmer referred to a report that the team was looking to trade Barr. We were previously unaware of any report or speculation to that effect and Zimmer threw cold water on the notion.

Zimmer said, via Ben Goessling of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, that Barr is “unequivocally not being traded.” Zimmer added that the linebacker has missed practice time this week due to a “tweak,” but is expected to practice on Friday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/03/mike-zimmer-anthony-barr-unequivocally-wont-be-traded/

Ben Goessling‏Verified account @GoesslingStrib

Mike Zimmer said Anthony Barr is "unequivocally not being traded," correcting a report that said the Vikings were trying to move him. News to me that there was even such a report out there. In any case, Zimmer said Barr was out because of a "tweak." He should practice today.

On 6/26/2018 at 9:43 AM, Krauser said:

Replacing Barr wouldn’t be easy but nowhere near impossible. For instance this year Lorenzo Carter from Georgia, a comparable athlete and solid prospect, went 66th overall. 

Vikings shouldn’t even consider extending Waynes if Hughes pans out.

Big reason why I was actually projecting us to target Carter. Devante Downs is also similar tho. What really made him fall is playing out of position and well injuries. 

I wouldn’t say Hughes is the factor in keeping Wayne’s. If Hughes does an excellent job as a Nickle I would like to keep him there whenever we are in nickle. A lot to me will be the development of Hill and Alexander more than anything. if One of them don’t key in, if feel uncomfortable going into next season without realistically both Newman and Wayne’s.

On 8/3/2018 at 3:10 PM, vike daddy said:

Ben Goessling‏Verified account @GoesslingStrib

Mike Zimmer said Anthony Barr is "unequivocally not being traded," correcting a report that said the Vikings were trying to move him. News to me that there was even such a report out there. In any case, Zimmer said Barr was out because of a "tweak." He should practice today.

Apparently, some rubes started talking about that possibility on a site like ours here...and that was enough for someone to pass it onto Zimmer.  It's nonsensical talk, as it wouldn't be in anyone's best interest to trade him now.  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Apparently, some rubes started talking about that possibility on a site like ours here...and that was enough for someone to pass it onto Zimmer.  It's nonsensical talk, as it wouldn't be in anyone's best interest to trade him now.  

This is exactly the type of way I figured it started. That or as a bit on Common's show.

• 2 weeks later...

Barr:  "We haven’t looked too much outside of ourselves right now. We’re still trying to figure out who we are as a football team. We’re a different team than last year. It is a lot of the same guys, but it is a different team and a different year, so we have got to find our identity and we have got a lot of things we’ve got to continue to practice on and work on and get better at. Overall, we’re still confident but we’re not really looking at other teams right now."

"It really all starts up front for us. Those guys do a great job for us and Sheldon, he is a game disruptor. He is very quick off the ball. He gets into the backfield very easily. That screws up the offense and trying to do their blocking schemes. So he does a very good job in the running game with that and the passing game, he’s a great pass rusher, so he complements what we like to do. He complements (Linval Joseph) very well, so I think they’re going to be a good combination up front. Being a linebacker, obviously I’m really happy about that."

"I think the coaches are always trying to find ways to put their defensive players individually in the positions where they are going to succeed. We’ve been pretty good as a unit, we were pretty good last year. So whatever they ask, I try to do and I try to excel at. This is something I have had a history with and haven’t done as much the last few years, but I’m looking forward to maybe doing it a little more and to work with the defensive line more has been really helpful. I have a really long ways to go. It is a whole different type of deal than it was in college, so I’m still learning a lot, but it’s been good and hopefully I can be productive and help the team win some games."

"I don’t know what the future holds, but it has been great. Those guys are my brothers and I love playing with them and going to work every day. They make it fun, and they make it enjoyable. We’re close and hang out off the field, which helps on the field, and so it has been a great experience, but I’m going to focus on each game, focus on this year and not worry about what the future holds. It will all take care of itself, but I’m just going to enjoy this time right now."

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Anthony-Barr-reveals-future-hopes-more-in-exclusive-interview-120779463/

• 5 weeks later...

I do notice that Barr is still wearing the green dot, but at this point, the only thing special about Barr is his size and speed. And even that doesn’t really show up as a benefit on game day. 

Of all the players the Vikings need/would like to re-sign, Barr is far down the line. 

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I do notice that Barr is still wearing the green dot, but at this point, the only thing special about Barr is his size and speed. And even that doesn’t really show up as a benefit on game day. 

Of all the players the Vikings need/would like to re-sign, Barr is far down the line. 

I agree. Richardson is quickly surpassing him as the top priority going into the 2019 offseason. I don't see Barr being worth $12m+ per year as a 4-3 OLB. The pass rush hasn't been there this year and I'm not sure his ability in coverage is worth it. Kind of dissapointed so far but we still have lots of football left.

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sheldon has leaped him in my rankings.

We can find size & speed in the draft pretty easily. There's always plenty of athletes who may not be polished but still ooze size, speed, & athleticism. 

Archived