Raising the Barr even higher!

swede700

9 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Sheldon has leaped him in my rankings.

We can find size & speed in the draft pretty easily. There's always plenty of athletes who may not be polished but still ooze size, speed, & athleticism. 

I don’t even think you need a HWS guy. Just give me a sound tackler with good instincts/read and react ability. 

Since 2012, linebackers selected in the top 15 include;

Luke Kuechly, Khalil Mack (EDGE), Anthony Barr, Ryan Shazier, Leonard Floyd (EDGE), Haasan Reddick, and Roquan Smith

Linebackers selected in the 1st round include;

Luke Kuechly, Melvin Ingram (EDGE), Dont’a Hightower, Nick Perry (EDGE), Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree, Khalil Mack (EDGE), Anthony Barr, Ryan Shazier, C.J. Mosley, Shaw Thompson, Stephone Anthony, Leonard Floyd (EDGE), Darron Lee, Hassan Reddick, Jarrad Davis, Rueben Foster, Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Leighton Vander Esch, and Rashaan Evans

Its probably too early to comment much on the guys from 2017 and 2018, but where would you rank Barr among that group?

I'm still okay with extending Barr, but certainly not paying him any more than what he's getting paid this year.  He is certainly lacking in consistency.  I would expect that they'll let him test free agency and maybe come back to them during the tampering period, ala what they did with Griffen.   

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm still okay with extending Barr, but certainly not paying him any more than what he's getting paid this year.  He is certainly lacking in consistency.  I would expect that they'll let him test free agency and maybe come back to them during the tampering period, ala what they did with Griffen.   

Problem is I think it's unlikely that we can afford Barr, Richardson and Waynes. I've always thought that one has to go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Problem is I think it's unlikely that we can afford Barr, Richardson and Waynes. I've always thought that one has to go. 

For me, the most likely to go would still be Waynes over the other 2.  And with Richardson, it's all dependent upon how much he'd be asking for.  If he's going to be asking for $15-16M like the top DTs are, there's no way they can afford that, and I'd let him walk.

in hindsight it's good we didn't extend barr since it's given us the flexibility to sign guys like tom johnson, dan bailey, etc. it's also given us some tape to see who would be more worth signing between him and richardson. 

i will say though, despite not seeing barr make a play yet PFF has actually graded him pretty well the first two games. 

1 hour ago, whitehops said:

in hindsight it's good we didn't extend barr since it's given us the flexibility to sign guys like tom johnson, dan bailey, etc. it's also given us some tape to see who would be more worth signing between him and richardson. 

i will say though, despite not seeing barr make a play yet PFF has actually graded him pretty well the first two games. 

I'll give you the first game but it's pretty hard to make plays when you're being held almost every play and the refs refuse to call it.  There were atleast 2 really bad holding plays that would have most likely resulted in sacks if not for the foul yet no flags were thrown.

11 minutes ago, whitehops said:

PFF has actually graded him pretty well the first two games. 

That’s not surprising. Barr isn’t bad, he’s a very sound linebacker who executes his assignments. The questions for me are, what else does he do? What is an assignment sound, albeit unspectacular linebacker worth? How easily is he replaced?

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s not surprising. Barr isn’t bad, he’s a very sound linebacker who executes his assignments. The questions for me are, what else does he do? What is an assignment sound, albeit unspectacular linebacker worth? How easily is he replaced?

You've mostly described kendricks. I'd think MN shouldn't  have any issue finding that type of player in the 30-60 pick range of the draft, 4-3 OLB isn't valued nearly as much as it once was. Or maybe Gedeon can take over in his spot.

Edited by vikingsrule

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Barr has looked much better the last two weeks. 

Seems like he's been more involved, noticed him attacking the LOS more than the first few games. I don't know if the stats validate that but hopefully Zimmer has taken notice and not leaving Barr on slot WRs.