Raising the Barr even higher!

swede700

It's not Barr's fault he was single covering WRs. He got beat but that was all about scheme. 

His penalties in the Bills game were bad. Getting hurdled looked bad but I don't know what you expect the LB to do about that, Allen made a great play. 

He's been very good this year otherwise, especially on blitzes. 

He's playing way better than Kendricks. 

I was pretty surprised to see people blaming Barr for most part of Rams game. The one play where you can atleast blame partially was the TD pass to Gurley but other than that it was mainly Zimmer's fault and McVay's brilliance that he was able to create mismatches.

Inman’s been on a vendetta against Barr since the Bills game, but several of the clips he’s put up are misleading. 

Barr’s supposedly afraid of contact — but he hit Bilal Powell so hard in the hole he didn’t return to the game. 

Barr probably hits more RBs harder on blitzes than any LB in the NFL. He concussed a guy on a blitz not that long ago (SNF game against the Giants 2016, IIRC). 

Meanwhile, Kendricks again was the weakest part of the defense vs the Jets. The deep RB wheel route against him (Kendricks took a terrible angle in coverage) set up the first TD, and he missed a tackle unblocked on a screen in the 4th quarter that went for 30+.

Kendricks’ contract extension looks like a bad decision right now. The Saints and Kamara will be a huge test for him this week.

I won’t go so far as to say that Barr avoids contact, but this is another play where Barr seems to try and rely on his speed/athleticism to a fault, instead of using his size and strength. He’s literally jumping out of the way, and away from the QB. He takes himself out of the play, and it happens often enough. 

At 6’5” 255, Barr should be throwing the 200 pound RB back into Darnold. Not leaping out of the way, clearing the throwing lane. 

Maybe he was just trying to avoid getting chop-blocked.  Sure, he probably should have knocked the RB back...and I'm sure he'll probably see it on video and go like "WTF", but it still was an incomplete pass, so the result was positive regardless.  

• 3 weeks later...

Spielman: "We want to keep everybody. I’ve always said that, and we’ll always try to do our best to keep all our players. Anthony, we drafted him, and he’s a very good football player for us, and we’ll always look at ways to keep our players the best we can."

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/06/how-good-are-the-vikings-well-find-out-says-gm-rick-spielman/

• 1 month later...

With Barr in the final year of his career, the team will face a decision on whether to either franchise tag him, negotiate a long-term deal or let him walk in free agency. The salary cap is expected to rise once again, giving some flexibility to the cap-strapped Vikings. Still they will have to make decisions on whether to re-sign Sheldon Richardson or work on an extension for cornerback Trae Waynes.

Barr:  “That will take care of itself when it gets here, for now we’re trying to get two more wins.” 

Zimmer: “He has a really good grasp on what we’re doing defensively. He has a good grasp on what the offense is doing. He can communicate to the defensive line and the other linebackers and I think that helps a lot to be able to do the things we are trying to do. A lot of times team always account for him. You don’t want to say all the time, because certain play actions are designed to go certain ways. But drop back passing game, we’ve had several teams this year that make him the fifth rusher every time and if he doesn’t come, he doesn’t come.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/12/recent-play-anthony-barr-making-case-contract-extension/

While I like Sheldon Richardson, to me, he's simply a luxury that can be replaced with such huge depth at his position in the draft.  For me, (and I know people will argue against this) Barr is far less replaceable, despite him not always living up to his capabilities.  While they may not seem to skip a beat when he's not playing, I'm not certain how long that would last if he were to move on elsewhere.  The key for him is whether he can live with a $10-$12M a year contract instead of a $15M a year one.  

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I like Sheldon Richardson, to me, he's simply a luxury that can be replaced with such huge depth at his position in the draft.  For me, (and I know people will argue against this) Barr is far less replaceable, despite him not always living up to his capabilities.  While they may not seem to skip a beat when he's not playing, I'm not certain how long that would last if he were to move on elsewhere.  The key for him is whether he can live with a $10-$12M a year contract instead of a $15M a year one.  

I think Barr is more of a luxury in today's game than Richardson is. The ability to collapse the pocket from the interior is not an easy skill set to find. When Richardson is on, that pass rush is hard to stop. I'd like to keep both for $12 million per year each if contracts like Rudolph, Remmers and Sendejo can be dumped. 

Quite frankly, I haven’t seen Richardson collapse the pocket very often. He certainly hasn’t been the imposing 3T that many were expecting  

Listening to Zimmer speak about Barr, he’s far more valuable than people seem to think. 

We haven’t seen this defense operate for much more than a game or two without Barr. We’ve seen it perform just as well, if not better, without Richardson. Richardson just doesn’t seem to be all that vital of a piece, IMO. 

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Quite frankly, I haven’t seen Richardson collapse the pocket very often. He certainly hasn’t been the imposing 3T that many were expecting  

Listening to Zimmer speak about Barr, he’s far more valuable than people seem to think. 

We haven’t seen this defense operate for much more than a game or two without Barr. We’ve seen it perform just as well, if not better, without Richardson. Richardson just doesn’t seem to be all that vital of a piece, IMO. 

That's fair. Richardson isn't elite but I think he's the best we've had in awhile. I don't think it's easy to just plug in another player there, especially a rookie. Rookie LBs regularly make immediate impacts. But I'd prefer to keep both if we can move some other players.

Archived