The Predator

RamRod

• 3 weeks later...

Bottom line, if this movie is on the Predators/Predator2 tier, I'll be okay with it.  If it's on the AvP or AvP:R tier, Shane Black should be ashamed of himself. 

It's really not hard to mess up Predator.  Put a Predator in a secluded setting up against professionals and have them battle it out.  Predator 2 tried to get cute with a city setting and it was largely an okay movie.  Went a little weird with the futuristic satire, but I can't really blame them since Robocop did it shortly after the original Predator release to some success, so whatever.  AvP tried to cash in on a PG-13 rating with some awful characters that literally nobody cared about and probably everybody wanted them to die.  Predators was a great concept that managed to realize it pretty damn well except for a few flaws and Topher Grace (I did NOT have a problem with them going the whole serial killer route because it was a good idea in principal, and Topher Grace wasn't bad for how the character was written, but they should have gone more Ralph Fiennes style serial killer, not geeky doctor serial killer).  AvP: R was just pure trash with no plot to speak of. 

If the kid is in it minimally and the story doesn't revolve around him, and if the majority of the movie is the PTS soldiers fighting the Predator, it could be pretty decent. 

Very low expectations means my expectations are easy to meet. 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Bottom line, if this movie is on the Predators/Predator2 tier, I'll be okay with it.  If it's on the AvP or AvP:R tier, Shane Black should be ashamed of himself. 

It's really not hard to mess up Predator.  Put a Predator in a secluded setting up against professionals and have them battle it out.  Predator 2 tried to get cute with a city setting and it was largely an okay movie.  Went a little weird with the futuristic satire, but I can't really blame them since Robocop did it shortly after the original Predator release to some success, so whatever.  AvP tried to cash in on a PG-13 rating with some awful characters that literally nobody cared about and probably everybody wanted them to die.  Predators was a great concept that managed to realize it pretty damn well except for a few flaws and Topher Grace (I did NOT have a problem with them going the whole serial killer route because it was a good idea in principal, and Topher Grace wasn't bad for how the character was written, but they should have gone more Ralph Fiennes style serial killer, not geeky doctor serial killer).  AvP: R was just pure trash with no plot to speak of. 

If the kid is in it minimally and the story doesn't revolve around him, and if the majority of the movie is the PTS soldiers fighting the Predator, it could be pretty decent. 

Then people will complain that it's the same premise as the first movie or Predators. Gets old after a while.

What an awful cast, you go from this cast in the original....

Image result for predator cast

To this....

Image result for predator cast

One is totally badass to like the millionth degree, the other is terrible.  Keegan-Michael Key would have been better off spending his time making a movie about Coach Hines than doing this.  Oh but Olivia Munn is in it so some dudes will watch just based on that, she is a bad actress though but like anyone cares...

• 1 month later...

The Predator was edited to remove a convicted sex offender. 

Shane Black was the only person who knew he was a convicted sex offender. 

Shane Black also cast this convicted sex offender in Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys. 

The convicted sex offender "attempted to lure a 14-year-old female into a sexual relationship via the internet."

I feel completely vindicated in saying it's creepy and unnerving how Black always casts young kids in his movies. 

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3520215/predator-edited-final-hour-due-casting-registered-sex-offender/

I hope this movie is good so that I can enjoy it, but a part of me kinda hopes it bombs because Shane Black, as talented as he can be, is a creepy dude that's probably sweating this whole era of Hollywood pedophiles being outed. 

On 7/13/2018 at 2:50 PM, Outpost31 said:

You raise a good point, a real villain secondary antagonist would've made that movie a lot better.

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The Predator was edited to remove a convicted sex offender. 

Shane Black was the only person who knew he was a convicted sex offender. 

Shane Black also cast this convicted sex offender in Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys. 

The convicted sex offender "attempted to lure a 14-year-old female into a sexual relationship via the internet."

I feel completely vindicated in saying it's creepy and unnerving how Black always casts young kids in his movies. 

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3520215/predator-edited-final-hour-due-casting-registered-sex-offender/

I hope this movie is good so that I can enjoy it, but a part of me kinda hopes it bombs because Shane Black, as talented as he can be, is a creepy dude that's probably sweating this whole era of Hollywood pedophiles being outed. 

Good for Fox.  Bad look for Black.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:03 PM, Ozzy said:

One is totally badass to like the millionth degree, the other is terrible.  Keegan-Michael Key would have been better off spending his time making a movie about Coach Hines than doing this.  Oh but Olivia Munn is in it so some dudes will watch just based on that, she is a bad actress though but like anyone cares...

You praise one for being "badass" and then knock the new one for not having the acting chops? Those are two separate things.

Do you actually think the cast of the original could act? It was mostly a bunch of muscle dudes (a look that doesnt play as much today) throwing out hacky one liners. The original Predator was awesome because of how "badass" of an antagonist the Predator was, combined with the Charisma (not acting) of Arnold, with some sweet actions scenes thrown in.

Of the actual Acting roles in the original, it was really just Carl Weathers. And in the equivalent role, Sterling K Brown is at least as good. (and to most, a much better actor) Outside of him, as much a I love Jesse Ventura, Id take Keegen-Michael Key over him as an actor to play the "mouth" role. And after that, are Bill Duke, Sonny Landham, Richard Chaves or any of the "other guys" big influences on the movie? Not really, they are just monster fodder. And actually a bunch of those types in this new one are actual actors, not just jobbers.

What it really comes down to is Schwarzenegger vs Boyd Holbrook, which is a first round knockout. I like Boyd in some stuff, but they needed a better leading man to get that Predator feel going. Not many can hold a candle to what Arnold was in the 80s, but they could have gotten closer.

If your beef really is that this cast doesnt look "badass enough" for you... sounds like a typical lame ultra-machismo take. Becasue if we are looking for actors with track records as strong, bad *** fighters, who nail one liners, Id say Jake Busey, Alfie Allen, Thomas Jane, Olivia Munn, and even Trevante Rhodes nail that group. And Boyd would be amazing in that group, it would look much better on the surface if they got someone like The Rock (not him because he would over shadow the movie) and everyone else got knocked down one peg.

Do you actually think the cast of the original could act? It was mostly a bunch of muscle dudes (a look that doesnt play as much today) throwing out hacky one liners. The original Predator was awesome because of how "badass" of an antagonist the Predator was, combined with the Charisma (not acting) of Arnold, with some sweet actions scenes thrown in.

They didn't really need to act, it was fun to see badass over the top macho men get hunted in a forest and quip one liners.

Don't really have any interest in this new Predator. Looks like a bad story with a bunch decent actors forced into poor narratives. No way the audience is going to care about all these guys. That was one of the interesting things about the initial predator, the characters outside Arnold didn't have much dialogue or backstory, but where literally such characters visually that you sorta made one up yourself and that saved a lot of blah blah blah about backstory for guys whos intent was to be righteous kills for Mr Predator.

Also, side note, but the next Predator should take place down at Jessy's house in Mexico where he waxes poetic about conspiracy theory while making Home Alone type traps against Predator.

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

They didn't really need to act, it was fun to see badass over the top macho men get hunted in a forest and quip one liners.

I agree, but that wsnt the sentiment being thrown out there in the criticism. Especially when calling out the acting chops as the issue with this cast, when the original had nearly negative acting skills. 

I actually think if they were smart with this one they would have gone back to that style of protagonist group, embrace the camp, have the crazy looking task force, make you root for the Predator(s) until we get down to the one redeemable guy (the new Arnold) to have the final showdown.

Archived