The Predator

RamRod

So I went and saw it on Friday morning at 9am, and i gotta say, I had a good time. Now maybe I was still alittle drunk from the night before, but some of the Jokes really got me, and there are some decent action sequences from the first part of the movie. Now saying that, its a complete mess and in no way a good movie. But as a cheesy action movie i didnt hate it.

Boyd Holbrook

He is exactly what I thought he was going to be, a disappointment. In no way should he have been the lead of this movie, he just doent have that type of pull. Had he been the guy in the first scene to come in first contact, snag the Predator gear (because hes an idiot), ship it off to his son (to get him involved) and then is hunted down and killed off by the predator in mexico, I think that would be a good use of him. But he doesnt seem  tough, he doesnt inspire, and his little bit of monologue just doesnt work. (I dont even feel like he is a dad in this movie, and thats the whole point) which is the entire set up for who they see as the peak of the species. Had he been a set up tool, or Soldier number 3 or 4 of the group he would have been fine, but he was bad as the main antagonist, which I expected going in

Olivia Munn

Ok, earlier in this thread I said she could be strong quippy type, which I still think she could be if done correctly, but that is also before I had any clue who she was supposed to be in this movie. Because we are in Denise Richards/Christmas Jones territory with this bullcrap. Not that beautiful women cant also be smart, but just because she acts quarky and says some technical jargon doesnt make them a smart character. ESPECIALLY when they clearly got her to be half naked scared ****less next to the Predator, and then suddenly in the next scene she is chasing him down on foot almost catching him. Like most of the movie, she is all over the place and nothing she does makes any sense

Sterling K Brown

Wow, just wow. What a waste. Youre supposed to think he is a decent guy for a while and then the turn comes, but they are telegraphing it the ENTIRE movie. Then he is supposed to be stoic and scary, but he is dropping jokes all over. And most of the time Im laughing at him, not with him because its so cringy. And then to top it all off, we are promised this final badass showdown after they take care of the Super-Predator, but instead he is killed off in like a quick spinet of frames that you dont even realize happen if you arent ready for it. And for some reason Munn is the one to do it??? Just such a wate of an actor and a character.

Jacob Tremblay

Should fire his agent. he hasnt been all hits, but there is no reason to be doing this role, mostly because this role is so useless. Like, this would have made sense if this was somehow Munn's character, who is alittle on the Spectrum, is obsessed with "space animals" and learned how to crack the alien language/tech. and she is the one the soldiers are trying to save from the Predator because shes the lead guys sister. But the forced broken family that we dont really care about with the dumb bullies... Its like Shane Black or whoever had this idea of a kid strapping a predator helmet on for a Trick or Treat scene and then forced this entire character in the movie because of it.

Trevante Rhodes

Comes of the few "depth" characters for this crew, but only by comparison to how shallow everyone else is. Really liked everything about him, was really the only one of the crew I really believed was a soldier. But in the end wasnt really given all that much, and his death/sacrifice is played off as a weird joke that you dont really feel anything with. I think in a good version of this movie, this character is probably a 3rd or even 4th of the group, not such a prominent role.

Keegan-Michael Key

He was pretty funny throughout, did his job, but really only gets to play off of Thomas Jane. Doesnt feel like he really belongs in parts of this movie, and mostly was playing out parts of a Key & Peale sketch. I like him to be more than that in his role, even if he is supposed to bring that energy as well. Another hallow part that shouldnt be missed, and really goes out with a whimper in an end that should have been emotional. While he and Jane were great with each other, there is still way too much tell and not show from other characters 

Thomas Jane

Surprisingly great performance from a spot I had no Idea what I was going to get. Some might find the tourettes jokes crude, but I think it was actually played really well and if the whole cast/film would have played it with this level of camp we would have had a hit on our hands. But with just this thrown in with all the other craziness it just doesnt seem genuine. He really makes the hotel scene. And hes ending feels empty, in the end just an unfortunate waste of a good preformance

Alfie Allen/Jake Busey/Yvonne Strahovski

Juat a whole lot of not much out of these people. Alfie might as well have not been there at all. Jake Busey is a cool connection to the rest of the series, but how was he this bad of a character in this movie? And Yvonne didnt do anything bad, she was just ultimate unforgettable, even her rousing speech isnt all that good, and its really only played for a joke.

Overall disappoint performance by Shane Black, wasting a pretty cool premise ad some decent actors. Without a hook to be the squad leader, this thing was doomed, but somehow it was even worse as a cohesive movie that I could ever have imagined. But it has some cool action, a solid Predator premise, and some funny scenes. But thats about it.

Archived