Where Does Atlanta Finish in NFC South?

footbull3196

Where does Atlanta finish in the NFC South?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Atlanta finish in the NFC South?

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, Shanedorf said:

Last year in the playoffs, ATL held the Rams # 1 offense to 13 points and the Eagles # 4 offense to 15 points

That's pretty impressive. Rams scored 29.9/game in the regular season, Eagles scored 28.6/ game

I'd say the Eagles scoring 15 was more indicative of Foles playing shaky at best in that playoff game.  He looked pretty bad in the Raiders game too

I came away impressed with their performance against the Rams in the playoffs, but keep in mind that it was a young team hosting their first ever playoff game going up against a team that won the Super Bowl the year before.  It shouldn't have been a surprise that the Rams got pushed around and made some careless mistakes that changed the balance of the game

On 7/6/2018 at 3:02 PM, Shanedorf said:

Last year in the playoffs, ATL held the Rams # 1 offense to 13 points and the Eagles # 4 offense to 15 points

That's pretty impressive. Rams scored 29.9/game in the regular season, Eagles scored 28.6/ game

The Falcons defense could  be even better this year as they continue to grow and mold into the defense they wanna be. Isaiah Oliver could be that large corner they are missing too.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:25 PM, footbull3196 said:

I'd say the Eagles scoring 15 was more indicative of Foles playing shaky at best in that playoff game.  He looked pretty bad in the Raiders game too

I came away impressed with their performance against the Rams in the playoffs, but keep in mind that it was a young team hosting their first ever playoff game going up against a team that won the Super Bowl the year before.  It shouldn't have been a surprise that the Rams got pushed around and made some careless mistakes that changed the balance of the game

Would it kill you to give the Falcons SOME credit here? They had a top 10 defense in both yardage and scoring last year. Maybe, just maybe, Quinn has this team's defense finally heading in the right direction.

48 minutes ago, scar988 said:

The Falcons defense could  be even better this year as they continue to grow and mold into the defense they wanna be. Isaiah Oliver could be that large corner they are missing too.

Which of the Falcons cornerbacks is getting moved into the slot? 

31 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Would it kill you to give the Falcons SOME credit here? They had a top 10 defense in both yardage and scoring last year. Maybe, just maybe, Quinn has this team's defense finally heading in the right direction.

I did give them credit lol.  I said in my OP that I thought they actually had a bit more going for them defensively than offensively 

I just think that they won't have the same record in close games this season.  In 2016 they lost mostly close games but they were blowing most teams out.  In 2017 they kinda scraped by against most teams.  Their 353-315 point differential was more indicative of an 8-8/9-7 team than a 10+ win team.  I wouldn't be surprised to see their record in close games reversed this season 

1. Saints

2. Panthers

3. Falcons

4. Buccaneers

If injuries hit the Falcons on offense, they'll finish last. If not, then they finish no better than second with third place looking the most likely.

because Sarkisian continues to limit them.

On 7/11/2018 at 12:06 PM, footbull3196 said:

I did give them credit lol.  I said in my OP that I thought they actually had a bit more going for them defensively than offensively 

I just think that they won't have the same record in close games this season.  In 2016 they lost mostly close games but they were blowing most teams out.  In 2017 they kinda scraped by against most teams.  Their 353-315 point differential was more indicative of an 8-8/9-7 team than a 10+ win team.  I wouldn't be surprised to see their record in close games reversed this season 

In 1 score games in 2017, the Falcons were 7-5. In 2016, they were 4-5. Either way, that's still not enough of a swing to cause them to fall as far back as you would think. And the offense should be better this year with an actual NFL caliber QB coach in Knapp who could double check Sark and know what he's talking about. Sarkisian didn't have the best support staff around him last year and Knapp should improve that for him.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:49 PM, scar988 said:

In 1 score games in 2017, the Falcons were 7-5. In 2016, they were 4-5. Either way, that's still not enough of a swing to cause them to fall as far back as you would think. And the offense should be better this year with an actual NFL caliber QB coach in Knapp who could double check Sark and know what he's talking about. Sarkisian didn't have the best support staff around him last year and Knapp should improve that for him.

But that's actually exactly the point I was trying to make.  In 2016 every single one of their losses came in a ridiculous circumstance outside of the first game of the season against Tampa where they were just flat out beat, such as:

- the 2 point loss against Seattle where Julio was mugged on a 4th down play that would have resulted in the Falcons moving well into FG range had a penalty been correctly called.  It wasnt

- the OT loss against the Chargers where they went for it on 4th and 1 in their own territory and got stopped

- missed XP and field goal in 9 point loss to eagles.  Also, near the end of the first half of that game, Carson wentz got stripped and a falcons player recovered.  He had a clear path to the end zone but a referee got in his way and he was stopped at midfield.  The falcons got no points as a result

- after scoring the go ahead touchdown against the chiefs, the 2 point attempt is intercepted by Eric berry and run back for 2 points the other way to give Kansas City the lead.  We both know that literally never happens

Meanwhile, in 2017, the falcons had the exact opposite luck and were on the receiving end of some pretty big breaks. Their losses in close games weren't on circumstance or bad luck, their losses in close games were 100% on them.  For example:

- letting the Jay Cutler led Dolphins out of all teams back into the game from a 17-0 deficit and choking away any chance to redeem themselves in the end.  Keep in mind all of this happened at home

- Julio Jones dropping it wide open in the end zone on 4th down against the Panthers the one time Sarkasian actually makes a good play call

- failing to score a single touchdown against the Vikings

- fumbling the ball on the 1 yard line against the Saints

- putting up only 10 points against the Eagles.  Also, Julio dropping the ball on 4th down

I hope the support staff makes a difference for Sarkasian because he was the downfall for the falcons last year.  They kept literally everything the same outside of offensive coordinator and had completely different results because he was so bad.  The 2016 Falcons were a team that dominated their opposition.  The 2017 Falcons were a team that was lucky as hell to be in the playoffs in the first place.  And the 2018 Falcons don't strike me as a good team, but rather a mediocre one.  No idea why they gave Matt Ryan $100 million guaranteed and $30 million a year.  I mean come on it's Matt Ryan 

Matt Ryan is one of the best QBs of this generation. But keep hating on him for no reason. The fact of the matter is that the games they lost this past year weren’t his fault. 8 INTs that we’re just unlucky (dropped by WR or wrong route by receiver and highest total for any QB since 2010). The Falcons also were 3rd in the league in drop percentages. That didn’t help either. But keep hating on Ryan. 

On the other thing, you’re totally making my point. Sarkisian was so used to running his scheme that he had to learn the Falcons scheme last year. He should be better in year two just from that. The Falcons improves at certain weaknesses (RG and Defensive inexperience) that should help them improve in 2018. They also improved upon strengths at corner and wide receiver that should only pay dividends now and in the future. There’s a reason why a lot of people see them winning the division again. 

On 7/13/2018 at 8:56 PM, footbull3196 said:

Meanwhile, in 2017, the falcons had the exact opposite luck and were on the receiving end of some pretty big breaks. Their losses in close games weren't on circumstance or bad luck, their losses in close games were 100% on them.  For example:

- letting the Jay Cutler led Dolphins out of all teams back into the game from a 17-0 deficit and choking away any chance to redeem themselves in the end.  Keep in mind all of this happened at home

- Julio Jones dropping it wide open in the end zone on 4th down against the Panthers the one time Sarkasian actually makes a good play call

- failing to score a single touchdown against the Vikings

- fumbling the ball on the 1 yard line against the Saints

- putting up only 10 points against the Eagles.  Also, Julio dropping the ball on 4th down

Let's not forget the first three weeks where these circumstances could've swung the other way to prevent a 3-0 start

-Week 1- Jordan Howard dropping a catch at the 1

Week 2- Packers had both starting tackles inactive

Week 3- Golden Tate TD overturned

On 7/12/2018 at 5:45 PM, scar988 said:

They won't finish last with the Buccs in the Division

The Bucs are not a lock to finish last. They have the best odds to finish last but they have a slight chance not to. Like I said. The NFC South is a very unpredictable division. 

On 7/14/2018 at 9:37 PM, scar988 said:

Matt Ryan is one of the best QBs of this generation. But keep hating on him for no reason. The fact of the matter is that the games they lost this past year weren’t his fault. 8 INTs that we’re just unlucky (dropped by WR or wrong route by receiver and highest total for any QB since 2010). The Falcons also were 3rd in the league in drop percentages. That didn’t help either. But keep hating on Ryan. 

On the other thing, you’re totally making my point. Sarkisian was so used to running his scheme that he had to learn the Falcons scheme last year. He should be better in year two just from that. The Falcons improves at certain weaknesses (RG and Defensive inexperience) that should help them improve in 2018. They also improved upon strengths at corner and wide receiver that should only pay dividends now and in the future. There’s a reason why a lot of people see them winning the division again. 

I'm sorry, I think Matt Ryan is better than the average NFL QB, but he's not even close to the same tier as the best QBs of this generation.  Unless we are thinking of a different group of QBs which might be the case.  Like at what year of QBs entering the league are you choosing the cutoff?

Archived