Bell contract 2018

3rivers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000938482/article/leveon-bell-contract-talks-a-lot-closer-than-last-year

If the two sides can reach a compromise by mid-July, Bell will arrive at Latrobe as a happy camper. If negotiations fall apart, on the other hand, Bell will likely enter yet another contract year without the benefit of summer practices to knock off the rust and gain the trademark synchronicity with his offensive line.

If they settle on a longterm deal at $17M per, what do you think?  I noticed last year he was a bit slow etc, and I would expect that to repeat again this year. 

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Closer because they're offering more or because he's taking less? I'm not a capologist but $17 million a year seems like a mistake. 

I don't remember what they offered last year, but thought it was near $15M per.  I don't like any of this, but thought others would be interested in a thread since there hasn't been much activity here and this is a major issue moving forward . Until Bell plays like he did 2 years ago, I am not a fan of his or the FO if they sign him for this.

This is one of the toughest situations that the Steelers have been faced with for years. 

I see the Steelers side in not wanting to over-pay for the market and position, but I also understand

Bell's position in that he deserves to be paid as much or more than some WR's, OL's and other positions

and players who will make more, but do not necessarily do as much for their team as Bell does for his with his versatility.

Bell is good. In fact more than good or even very good. He is an exceptional RB because of

his versatility in the run, pass and pass protection abilities.

I don't see Bell's running ability as his forte or strongest trait nor do I think he is or will be

the best pure runner in the NFL now or going forward.  He will be known as an even better

version of the former SF 49'er Roger Craig. He is the one back who can do it all well.

Bell's combined value is what makes him valuable and what he will do in the passing game.

Should he be paid twice what other NFL backs are? Probably not.  Should he be paid on par

with other offensive stars for the impact and what he does when on the field? Probably so.

Is Bell's value and what he does for our team as valuable or more so than a player like Jarvis Landry?

Absolutely.

As much as I do not like the distractions and the back and fourth banter, he should be paid better than some of

the other players who are getting paid.  It is tough for Bell because of how the RB position has been undervalued.

I do believe that young elite RB's like Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliot will try to get paid a lot  more than the

current RB salary pool is as well. 

I do believe that Bell has three or four more productive years.  I think that it would be fair to pay him in the $14 - $15 million range.

It is a lot of money and a couple solid players could be locked up for that money, but he helps the Steelers win a SB now!!!

It is hard to justify seeing a WR like Jarvis Landry making more money than Bell when you compare their value and production to their teams.

How much is a SB trophy or two worth? How much would we complain if this current group of Steelers did not earn one?

On 6/28/2018 at 11:08 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

This is one of the toughest situations that the Steelers have been faced with for years. 

I see the Steelers side in not wanting to over-pay for the market and position, but I also understand

Bell's position in that he deserves to be paid as much or more than some WR's, OL's and other positions

and players who will make more, but do not necessarily do as much for their team as Bell does for his with his versatility.

Bell is good. In fact more than good or even very good. He is an exceptional RB because of

his versatility in the run, pass and pass protection abilities.

I don't see Bell's running ability as his forte or strongest trait nor do I think he is or will be

the best pure runner in the NFL now or going forward.  He will be known as an even better

version of the former SF 49'er Roger Craig. He is the one back who can do it all well.

Bell's combined value is what makes him valuable and what he will do in the passing game.

Should he be paid twice what other NFL backs are? Probably not.  Should he be paid on par

with other offensive stars for the impact and what he does when on the field? Probably so.

Is Bell's value and what he does for our team as valuable or more so than a player like Jarvis Landry?

Absolutely.

As much as I do not like the distractions and the back and fourth banter, he should be paid better than some of

the other players who are getting paid.  It is tough for Bell because of how the RB position has been undervalued.

I do believe that young elite RB's like Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliot will try to get paid a lot  more than the

current RB salary pool is as well. 

I do believe that Bell has three or four more productive years.  I think that it would be fair to pay him in the $14 - $15 million range.

It is a lot of money and a couple solid players could be locked up for that money, but he helps the Steelers win a SB now!!!

It is hard to justify seeing a WR like Jarvis Landry making more money than Bell when you compare their value and production to their teams.

How much is a SB trophy or two worth? How much would we complain if this current group of Steelers did not earn one?

I understand that there are other players that could be quoted in place of Jarvis Landry, but part of the reason he is making so much money is basically a luxury tax for playing on historically one of the worst teams. Landry doesn't get that contract from any team that has had recent success because (a) a better team wouldn't have to compensate for having a poor history of performance (b) other teams don't have that cap space to dole out to average/above average players.

I like the Jarvis Landry line. He's definitely a better player than Landry, more important, dynamic, etc. But he's also got more risk of getting hurt and being less productive sooner. I'd sit on $16m and say take it or leave it. Knowing full well that maybe he hits UFA next year and gets more money short-term but then gets cut 2-3 years later and ends up with less money bc he needs us just as much or more than we need him.

20 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

No to long term deal...run him into ground and let him leave in 2019.

Draft a RB in top 3 rounds next year and use Bells $$$ on a upper tier Defensive FA.

I wouldnt even definitely spend an early pick on RB next year.    Sign a decent receiving back like Ty Montgomery in FA and have a tandem backfield with him and Conner.   

I wouldnt be opposed to spending a high pick on the right RB, but I wouldnt force it, either. 

16 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wouldnt even definitely spend an early pick on RB next year.    Sign a decent receiving back like Ty Montgomery in FA and have a tandem backfield with him and Conner.   

I wouldnt be opposed to spending a high pick on the right RB, but I wouldnt force it, either. 

this and we might have something in samuels .. conner/samuels/FA vet could work for a yr or two

I can live without bell after this yr...not sure he has many productive years left..history is not on his side

On 7/4/2018 at 3:53 PM, August4th said:

this and we might have something in samuels .. conner/samuels/FA vet could work for a yr or two

I can live without bell after this yr...not sure he has many productive years left..history is not on his side

Ty Montgomery would be a good addition if we have the roster spot.

14 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

i'm torn on what to do here i really am

i'll leave it up to the managements and provided it's reasonable i'll back it :P 

This is where I’m at with it all. Bell is worth the money... for now. But is he worth the money over a 5 year contract? Will he still be elite in 3-4 years? It’s a big gamble. I hope they get something worked out, I’d like Bell to stay. This team is clearly better with him than without him. 

Archived